Korey Williams released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

In a somewhat surprising move, the Leos have cut ties with receiver Korey Williams who'd recently been move to the PR.
2014-07-15

Release WR Korey Williams (I), add T Jemarcus Hardrick to practice roster (I)

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
ballhawk
Legend

Very sad news indeed.! At Training Camp, Williams was definitely one of the better receivers, played well in the pre-season,and I feel deserves better. I feel that the Lions misused Williams and he should have played as a wide out with his blinding speed. Its tough for me, a fan, when players that I really relate to like Kory Banks, Korey Williams, Lin J Shell are released. I personally can think of other receivers, import and non-import, that did not perform as well as Williams. Maybe he told the Lions that he did not want to be on the PR. Tremendous drop in pay from active roster to PR limiting the ability to live in very expensive Vancouver.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm surprised that some other team that needs receivers like Sask or Ottawa did not pick him off the PR. However, now others teams are free to bring him in for a workout without having to commit to having him on the game day roster which they would have to do if plucked off another teams PR.

Williams is too fast to not end up with some other CFL team.
JohnHenry
Champion

K. Williams poor showing on special teams last year limited his usefulness with the team. E. Jackson beat him out for a receiving spot, so the writing was on the wall.
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:K. Williams poor showing on special teams last year limited his usefulness with the team. E. Jackson beat him out for a receiving spot, so the writing was on the wall.
The PR was his chance to improve to the point of starting again. With the Lions are in a state of flux at the receiver position currently, he would have likely received a second chance IMO. But the PR roster doesn't pay well, it also hurts the pride and Williams may feel that he is better than that. He could have asked for a mutual release to pursue a starting roster position on another team. Seems like a real possibility in hooking up with the Riders, or REDBLACKS, both are in need of some receiver with CFL experience.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A surprising move. Speed can't be taught.
David
Team Captain

LT Ryan Cave was just released by the club as the search continues(!) for a left tackle. How many prospects have we brought in now to challenge for the position in the last 6 or 7 years (Ben Archibald notwithstanding)?

I feel badly for the Cave. I think he was enjoying his time here and seemed thoughtful and well spoken. His run blocking wasn't bad but I think his foot speed was ultimately his undoing. In fairness, he came here at NFL-type weight to play 1 yard off the ball and, oh yea, go up against Chick and Bowman. In time, he might have had time to develop, but "O-line" and "develop" are not in the Lions' guidebook.

So who's going to play left tackle this week? Hardrick? Moreland? Steward? Stew Hardland??

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:LT Ryan Cave was just released by the club as the search continues(!) for a left tackle. How many prospects have we brought in now to challenge for the position in the last 6 or 7 years (Ben Archibald notwithstanding)?

I feel badly for the Cave. I think he was enjoying his time here and seemed thoughtful and well spoken. His run blocking wasn't bad but I think his foot speed was ultimately his undoing. In fairness, he came here at NFL-type weight to play 1 yard off the ball and, oh yea, go up against Chick and Bowman. In time, he might have had time to develop, but "O-line" and "develop" are not in the Lions' guidebook.

So who's going to play left tackle this week? Hardrick? Moreland? Steward? Stew Hardland??

unfortunately for Cave, he is no longer in. It is pretty important in the CFL to be able to pass block and it is also why the LT gets paid the most on the OL, but with that pay comes responsibility for protecting the highest paid athlete on the team. Failure to do that and there isn't a specific job to run block in the CFL.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not a total surprise that Cave was released. Not mobile enough to play the pivotal position on the offensive line.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Image
For a second, I thought this was your attendance prediction for this Sat vs Mtl.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
David wrote:Image
For a second, I thought this was your attendance prediction for this Sat vs Mtl.
In Price is Right fashion, there is 3 numbers in the correct order, you have one more chance to make it correct.....now go!

Qman
Champion

Toot Toot !!

Postby Qman » Wed May 21, 2014 6:55 pm
"All i can say is .... hopefully we better get a few good receivers thru FA camps, because the depth is not there anymore.
same for Korey Williams ... guys with your skill set have be a revolving door ... Kierrie Johnson, Drops'em Collins, etc ..."
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Qman wrote:Toot Toot !!

Postby Qman » Wed May 21, 2014 6:55 pm
"All i can say is .... hopefully we better get a few good receivers thru FA camps, because the depth is not there anymore.
same for Korey Williams ... guys with your skill set have be a revolving door ... Kierrie Johnson, Drops'em Collins, etc ..."
I'm not sure what your point is here. Johnson and Collins are starting in the CFL for other teams and there is a good chance that Williams will too.

So if there are players that are Lions cuts that make it elsewhere in the CFL, then that tells me that the Lions actually have some pretty good depth guys that are better than the guys that they released because the guys that they released are still good enough to play in the CFL.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I was never a fan of Williams because of his size, and the fact the Lions didn't use him properly...I remember when he first arrived and played for us, Lulay was trying to make impossible throws into his basket on all these deeper routes...I think Williams could have worked here if the Lions OC's had used him like a scat back and created an entire package for him to excel in...but they didn't and in a conventional role, he doesn't run routes well enough and is too small of a target.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Maybe not so hard to figure out. Williams may have simply been a victim of numbers. 8 SBs and WRs on the 46 and 2 more, Tomusiak Burnham, on the PR. They don't want to lose Tomusiak and Burnham acquitted himself very well in TC and exhibition play. You really can't justify tying up any more PR spots on receivers or you're hurting depth in other positions. They have an issue and had to add an OL to the PR. Might've just gotten down to deciding between Williams and one of Tomusiak and Burnham.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.