CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Solar Max
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Burris has had so many late in the game brain farts he should be refunding some of the big $ that he is being paid. Going no huddle on the last play of the game is inexcusable.
That was OC Mike Gibson not knowing the rules, not Burris.
DanoT wrote:Just think if the Redblacks had stuck with Kevin Glenn, Burris might be QBing the Lions right now. :puke:
Ottawa fans would have lynched him after he insulted the city, the organization and the fans on twitter...then claimed his twitter account was hacked.
DanoT wrote:As inept at times as the Lions coaching staff seems to be, I wouldn't trade them for the Redblack coaching gong show. How many failed attempts on the 1 yard line does it take before trying something different like a pass?
At least 3.

It's bad coaching when players aren't on the field when they're supposed to be.

It's bad coaching when you don't know the rules, when the clock starts or stops.

It's bad coaching when you cannot coach your receivers to catch the ball.

It's bad coaching when your O line cannot even open the tiniest hole.

It's bad coaching to call a 3rd and 1 sneak from the shotgun once, let alone three times.

It's bad coaching when you can't get your star RB to stop dancing and just hit the damn hole.

All of this is on Gibson. Or the Calgary Stampeders Boys Club.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ford's contacting the kicker last week vs Ott was more flagrant than what Wpg just committed against Ham, which was flagged, but he walked. Need more consistency.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hamilton did the Lions a huge favour by defeating the Bombers 16-11
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Hamilton did the Lions a huge favour by defeating the Bombers 16-11
They nearly lost the same way they did the last time they face Wpg at home. Luckily for them instead of a go-ahead TD Wpg turned it over on downs deep inm Ham territory and they just ran the last few seconds off the clock.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bombers' delay of game cost them a valuable down.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Bombers' delay of game cost them a valuable down.
Its amazing how often that play comes up too. I guess in theory then, a time count on 3rd down, inside of the three minute warning would be a turnover on downs? If so, I can't wait to see that one called...
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Hamilton did the Lions a huge favour by defeating the Bombers 16-11
They nearly lost the same way they did the last time they face Wpg at home. Luckily for them instead of a go-ahead TD Wpg turned it over on downs deep inm Ham territory and they just ran the last few seconds off the clock.
I did pick the Ticats, IIRC, in the pool because I have thought all year they are just a bit away from stringing some wins together. The Ticats look like the East Champs to me, at this point but this is why the games get played.

BC has games coming up against both of these teams and unfortunately they are both in their stadiums. Then again, I do seem to like the effort shown by BC on the road, its been the home games I've been dissappointed in....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Bombers' delay of game cost them a valuable down.
Its amazing how often that play comes up too. I guess in theory then, a time count on 3rd down, inside of the three minute warning would be a turnover on downs? If so, I can't wait to see that one called...
Pre-3MW, it's 5 yds, down repeated; post-3MW, it's loss of down (no yardage applied), except on 3rd down it's 10 yds, down repeated (no loss of down). I'm sure you've seen it before, it just never stood out.

If it's on a convert, it's always a 5-yarder regardless of when it occurs.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

It is surprising how often coaches bail out their QB's by getting the TIMEOUT in before the flag. IMO, I get this penalty a lot more when you are on the road, but at home, COME ON, this can't get called on you.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

4 games this week. 94 points scored in total.

23.5 per game on average, total for both teams.

That is suffocating defence.

C'mon offences. Get creative. Swing the balance back to the O.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:4 games this week. 94 points scored in total.

11.75 points per team over the weekend. Abysmal.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I thought the trend had swung back to the offences on Labour Day. From Weeks 10-14, scoring was up an average of 3 points a game. Then this week dropped the average below what it was before Labour Day.

CFL scoring (two teams combined):

Weeks 1-9: 45.8 ppg
Weeks 10-14: 48.3 ppg
Week 15: 23.5 ppg
Weeks 1-15: 45.1 ppg (-14% from 2013 average of 52.4 ppg)

Have CFL defences figured out how to shut down opposing offences? Possibly. Football is cyclical. Teams will copy what works until it doesn't work any more. Then someone will come up with something else that works, and everyone will adapt.

I think a lot of the decline this year is due to injuries. I know injuries happen every year but not to the extent they have in 2014. The B.C. offence is struggling without Lulay. The Stamps are struggling without Mitchell. The Riders are struggling without Durant. The Bombers struggled without Willy. The TiCats struggled without Collaros. The Alouettes are struggling to replace Calvillo. The Redblacks and Argos have struggled to find healthy receivers to catch balls from Burris and Ray. We've seen that Ray can still be deadly when he has weapons in his arsenal.

This is a QB-driven league. The decline in offence this year is due almost entirely to a 10% decline in passing yards compared to 2013. I can''t recall a year when there have been so many key injuries to QBs and leading receivers throughout the league. I have to think that's the major issue. It's easy for defences to drop nine guys into coverage and force QBs and receivers to try to squeeze passes into tight windows, especially if QBs can't keep defences honest by occasionally hitting the deep pass or running with the ball.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:

11.75 points per team over the weekend. Abysmal.
Offences on the week totalled 6 TDs & 12 FGs, along with more punts than the Bern's Steakhouse wine cellar.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:

I thought the trend had swung back to the offences on Labour Day. From Weeks 10-14, scoring was up an average of 3 points a game. Then this week dropped the average below what it was before Labour Day.

CFL scoring (two teams combined):

Weeks 1-9: 45.8 ppg
Weeks 10-14: 48.3 ppg
Week 15: 23.5 ppg
Weeks 1-15: 45.1 ppg (-14% from 2013 average of 52.4 ppg)

Have CFL defences figured out how to shut down opposing offences? Possibly. Football is cyclical. Teams will copy what works until it doesn't work any more. Then someone will come up with something else that works, and everyone will adapt.

I think a lot of the decline this year is due to injuries. I know injuries happen every year but not to the extent they have in 2014. The B.C. offence is struggling without Lulay. The Stamps are struggling without Mitchell. The Riders are struggling without Durant. The Bombers struggled without Willy. The TiCats struggled without Collaros. The Alouettes are struggling to replace Calvillo. The Redblacks and Argos have struggled to find healthy receivers to catch balls from Burris and Ray. We've seen that Ray can still be deadly when he has weapons in his arsenal.

This is a QB-driven league. The decline in offence this year is due almost entirely to a 10% decline in passing yards compared to 2013. I can''t recall a year when there have been so many key injuries to QBs and leading receivers throughout the league. I have to think that's the major issue. It's easy for defences to drop nine guys into coverage and force QBs and receivers to try to squeeze passes into tight windows, especially if QBs can't keep defences honest by occasionally hitting the deep pass or running with the ball.
It is cyclical, of course.

We see such tremendous athletes as DBs now. All over the league. We have a few new ones ourselves. Parks. Yell. Lee. Johnson. Williams.

And we see teams with varied defences. Overloads. Then 3 man lines. Blitzes. Then 9 men in coverage. It seems clear the cycle favours the defence at this time.

Solution? Get creative on offence. And that will happen with the better staffs. And it seems clear it will be need a multi dimensional attack. Even the wideouts as weapons. It will require timing and setups in the play calling. Taking advantage of even minute tendencies. Formula game plans will not cut it. Tight ends? Absolutely. Big tight ends. Tall. Heavy. Athletic.

Best receivers as slots? Move them to wideout at times. Same old, same old hits a wall.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:.......Solution? Get creative on offence. ..... Same old, same old hits a wall.

Yah, but then we/Coaches/Gm's can't blame the players for not executing the schemes..... :wink: After all the current schemes DO WORK, they are just not being done right by the players, RIGHT :dizzy: