CFL Playoff Games -- November 23, 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Wow what a finish !! Burris was terrible in overtime. Throwing an easy interception in the 1st overtime, then getting sacked for a huge loss in the 2nd overtime. I think conservative playcalling ultimately cost the RedBlacks their 1st road win. They were deep in Rider territory late in the game, instead of trying to score a touchdown which would have sealed the deal, they ran 2 conservative running plays then kicked a field goal for a 8 pt. lead. Rider promptly marched the length of the field to tie the game.
Ott fans will be thinking about that Ford hit on the punter just before Dressler took the kick and scored. No way you don't flag that, considering how Torri Williams got a flag for only catching a piece of him here Friday. Ford got him square, head on, leg still in the air. Far more blatant than Williams. How did that not get flagged?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

It's a good thing most of you guys can't see the RNation site right now. It's pretty ugly on TSN 1200 though...and you can tune into that.

Is the officiating crooked? After the missed Roughing the Kicker call, one has to presume so.

Bob Ackles is spinning in his grave after all the work he did on officiating in 2006-7.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Did the Riders WIN that game or did the Redblacks lose it? Burris has had some problems with pass catchers HANGING ON to balls but still :dizzy: Both OT's Burris dug his team quite a hole. He was lucky to get out from under the first one and was lucky to even give his kicker a shot.

What a weekend for the EAST. I watched the end of the Al's/Stamps. Nice to see the Stamps lose, keep them within shouting distance even though the Lions chances of catching them are slim at best....

I wonder how the voting will turn out for the replay game. IMO, the replay game should be the Riders/Redblacks going into overtime. I bet the Rider fans will help make that happen too! If the Redblacks had won, those Riderfans are VOTING for ANY GAME BUT that one.

I wonder if Sunseri showed enough to quell many of the worries Riderfans have. IMO, they need to go back to a lot more RUN game but he often seems to get a good shot throwing the ball downfield.

Those parts of the game, like needing to kick the ball out of the endzone after the missed field goal are parts of our game that are exciting. It was fun to watch....
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Did the Riders WIN that game or did the Redblacks lose it? Burris has had some problems with pass catchers HANGING ON to balls but still :dizzy: Both OT's Burris dug his team quite a hole. He was lucky to get out from under the first one and was lucky to even give his kicker a shot.
Hank went Frank at certain times today. He needs to sit for some series on Friday in Mtl so he can see what the D is doing. Regardless of consequences.

notahomer wrote:Those parts of the game, like needing to kick the ball out of the endzone after the missed field goal are parts of our game that are exciting. It was fun to watch....
It's not as much fun when you're on the end of the cow that gets the exhaust.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
notahomer wrote:Did the Riders WIN that game or did the Redblacks lose it? Burris has had some problems with pass catchers HANGING ON to balls but still :dizzy: Both OT's Burris dug his team quite a hole. He was lucky to get out from under the first one and was lucky to even give his kicker a shot.
Hank went Frank at certain times today. He needs to sit for some series on Friday in Mtl so he can see what the D is doing. Regardless of consequences.

notahomer wrote:Those parts of the game, like needing to kick the ball out of the endzone after the missed field goal are parts of our game that are exciting. It was fun to watch....
It's not as much fun when you're on the end of the cow that gets the exhaust.
I know fans may get frustrated but I think Ottawa delivered a more solid game than the Lions did. Some BC fans were laughing at our 'laugher' game coming up next at home versus the Redblacks. That made me cringe. If BC plays like they did Friday against the Argos , and then does the same versus the Redblacks, Ottawa is going home with a win, IMO.

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted the Redblacks to win this game. On so many levels but especially because I love watching Rider losses (even more so in Regina).

BTW, I know its probably rude to get a person to declare, but I watched the DOC on TSN. Are you Southside or Northside?

What is ridiculous is when Operation Orange went to Ottawa we sat up top, near the video board on the older side away opposite the side that has the teams benches. So we were on the Northside, right?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
I know fans may get frustrated but I think Ottawa delivered a more solid game than the Lions did. Some BC fans were laughing at our 'laugher' game coming up next at home versus the Redblacks. That made me cringe. If BC plays like they did Friday against the Argos , and then does the same versus the Redblacks, Ottawa is going home with a win, IMO.
I think that's more pie in the sky, but.... ok. :cool:
notahomer wrote:I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted the Redblacks to win this game. On so many levels but especially because I love watching Rider losses (even more so in Regina).
Not allowed to swear on this board. Used to doing that at Rnation. Tough to express the disappointment without that.

Must be a lack of education on my part.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Wow what a finish !! Burris was terrible in overtime. Throwing an easy interception in the 1st overtime, then getting sacked for a huge loss in the 2nd overtime. I think conservative playcalling ultimately cost the RedBlacks their 1st road win. They were deep in Rider territory late in the game, instead of trying to score a touchdown which would have sealed the deal, they ran 2 conservative running plays then kicked a field goal for a 8 pt. lead. Rider promptly marched the length of the field to tie the game.
Ott fans will be thinking about that Ford hit on the punter just before Dressler took the kick and scored. No way you don't flag that, considering how Torri Williams got a flag for only catching a piece of him here Friday. Ford got him square, head on, leg still in the air. Far more blatant than Williams. How did that not get flagged?
There was also a clip on the return that should have been flagged but wasn't
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Love the trick play on the punt return where the return man threw the football across the field to a teammate that was open and onside. Caught the defence totally napping. Why can't Chuck McMann come up with something like that ?
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Love the trick play on the punt return where the return man threw the football across the field to a teammate that was open and onside. Caught the defence totally napping. Why can't Chuck McMann come up with something like that ?
My favourite play was the fake by Burris toss to the TE on the backside, who steamrolled the defender and then ran him over again...a play of the year candidate.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
There was also a clip on the return that should have been flagged but wasn't
After consulting the PVR, there were two illegal blocks on that play, in addition to the roughing the kicker that wasn't called.

Now if you're going to say that I'm a homer, you'd be right. But it is fact in this league that certain teams get away with things that other teams cannot.

For example, Sask and Calgary receivers can be 2 yards offside at the snap of the ball. (Don't tell me I'm blind,or only part of the receiver has to be onside. I have a PVR.)

Greenwhites get away with holding more than other clubs do.

Roughing the kicker is instant with certain teams, not for Ottawa today. RTP is also instant say with Ray, as it was with Calvillo.

Illegal blocks were acceptable for the Greenwhites today.

The CFL should address the inconsistencies, or just stop pretending. It's accepted that the Greenwhites are the CFL's darling, much as the Cowboys once were for the NFL, but this needs to be addressed as fact. I as a CFL fan and season ticket holder am entitled to either fair officiating, or an admission of truth.

Tell me that favouring the Greenwhites is league policy and good for the CFL, and I'll accept that this is the way things are. Turn a blind eye, and it convinces me that I may need to spend my entertainment dollars eslewhere. I have TSN Hi def. I don't need to support the CFL financially through buying tickets.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Love the trick play on the punt return where the return man threw the football across the field to a teammate that was open and onside. Caught the defence totally napping. Why can't Chuck McMann come up with something like that ?
I was thinking the same thing watching that game. Here's an expansion team cobbled together with players begged, borrowed and stolen from wherever they can find them, with practically nobody having played with one another before this year and hardly any of the team chemistry you need to succeed in this sport, and they can make us, with our vast advantage in this department, look like amateurs with some of the trickery they've pulled off, stuff that we'd never even dream of.

McMann is a Buono lifer who's worked under him (on and off) since 1992. I think this explains it.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
I was thinking the same thing watching that game. Here's an expansion team cobbled together with players begged, borrowed and stolen from wherever they can find them, with practically nobody having played with one another before this year and hardly any of the team chemistry you need to succeed in this sport, and they can make us, with our vast advantage in this department, look like amateurs with some of the trickery they've pulled off, stuff that we'd never even dream of.

McMann is a Buono lifer who's worked under him (on and off) since 1992. I think this explains it.
What's even more amazing or frustrating, this is coming from a rookie Head Coach. Mike Benevides and McMann are both veteran coaches and we lack any imagination on devising trick plays. (Not saying that trick plays are the end all and be all). It's just something to keep defences honest.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've always loved that play. I'm surprised teams don't try it more often, especially with the wide CFL field. II saw it used once in the NFL playoffs several years ago.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:....But it is fact in this league that certain teams get away with things that other teams cannot.

For example, Sask and Calgary receivers can be 2 yards offside at the snap of the ball. (Don't tell me I'm blind,or only part of the receiver has to be onside. I have a PVR.)

Greenwhites get away with holding more than other clubs do.

Roughing the kicker is instant with certain teams, not for Ottawa today. RTP is also instant say with Ray, as it was with Calvillo.
Tell me that favouring the Greenwhites is league policy and good for the CFL, and I'll accept that this is the way things are. Turn a blind eye, and it convinces me that I may need to spend my entertainment dollars eslewhere. I have TSN Hi def. I don't need to support the CFL financially through buying tickets.
I hear ya. The number one complaint I hear from fellow fans at BC Place, (I don't see it but its WHINED about constantly) is NO YARDS not being called on to benefit our now bruised returner, Tim Brown. It is doubly frustrating when you think a call was missed on your player but the Zebras flag one of your guys for something tickytack and/or seemingly imagined......

I freely admit officiating is something I would not do any better at than they guys they pay to do it now but.... it needs to improve. Part of it may be numbers too. If my team was in a game versus the Riders in the playoffs, I'd certainly want Bradbury's crew over Proulx. That being said, we had some missed calls that the Greenies got away with on a return TD hear, so I know what you are saying.....
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
I've always loved that play. I'm surprised teams don't try it more often, especially with the wide CFL field. II saw it used once in the NFL playoffs several years ago.
Never mind trying trick plays, I'd be happy if the Lions just seemed ready and prepared to react to the other team's trick plays. :bang: