Kevin Glenn coming to Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-ac ... evin-glenn

Gave the Redblacks a fifth round pick for him.
Rammer
Team Captain

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-ac ... evin-glenn

Just to clarify, it was the fifth overall pick, not a fifth rounder.

Hope the Lions have been able to talk to Glenn to make sure he is 'okay' with being the Lions backup.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-ac ... evin-glenn

You misread, it was our 5th OVERALL (1st round) pick that went the other way for Kevin Glenn.
The BC Lions Football Club has acquired quarterback Kevin Glenn from the Ottawa REDBLACKS in exchange for the 5th overall selection in the 2014 CFL Draft.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I flipped on the draft with about 15 minutes to go in the first round. Was stunned. Guess Buono knows what he's doing....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We paid a king's ransom for Kevin Glenn. IMO ...

And we were dealing from weakness. Weakness at QB depth. Weakness in NI roster depth and talent.

Stop gap measure. Band Aid.

And I do like Kevin Glenn. But when you have weakness, this is the price you pay.

This is also a kick in the pants to the guys we have trying out for QB.

Was a time when we kept developing our own backup QBs.

OK, rants over on the trade ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That addresses the issue of the backup quarterback (assuming Glenn decides to report). Not particularly pleased in giving up the 5th overall pick to acquire him.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Fifth overall, I stand corrected. I'm not too upset over this; Kevin is on the downside of his career, but tenth overall in CFL passing yards is not exactly chopped liver. We need a reliable and capable backup now, and can't wait for Hart, Beck etc to develop (though someone is going to need to be groomed for the future and they are going to need playing time). Is it too big a price to pay? Ask me again if Lulay gets injured in September.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

The Lions site already lists him as wearing number 5. Somehow I don't see that happening. But 15 which he wore in Calgary is just as unlikely.
Rammer
Team Captain

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:The Lions site already lists him as wearing number 5. Somehow I don't see that happening. But 15 which he wore in Calgary is just as unlikely.
Opps, that is a mistake.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Well this deal tells me that Lulay is not going to be ready to go in 6 weeks. WB could have waited until TC and picked up Glenn (or Burris or Reily) but that would have put the Lions way behind in terms of prep. Now Glenn gets a few weeks to work with Kahari Jones before TC opens and then he can go into camp as the provisional #1 guy while Lulay continues to mend.

It's a good deal for both teams. The Lions get a QB that has been good enough that he could have won a Grey Cup in either of his last two seasons. Sure he's getting to the end of his career, but 2014 is about winning a championship. Ottawa gets rid of a disgruntled expansion draft pick and pre-empts a QB circus that was just waiting to set up tent in the capitol. The only downside is for the Lions. They could be missing out on a player that could have impact for 6-8 years or more. But I think it will be worthwhile gamble if the LIons get to play at home for the Grey Cup once again.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Instead of starting the season with a Lulay at 80 or 90% the Lions should now start the season with Glenn as the starter and delay Lulays return until he is 100%.

Does anyone know if Glenn has worked with Kahari Jones as his OC or QB coach before?
Qman
Champion

DanoT wrote:Instead of starting the season with a Lulay at 80 or 90% the Lions should now start the season with Glenn as the starter and delay Lulays return until he is 100%.

Does anyone know if Glenn has worked with Kahari Jones as his OC or QB coach before?

yes, played together in WPG.
Glenn was QB in HAM, Jones was his OC
Qman
Champion

checkthat ... QB coach for most of his time in HAM
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If Glenn is happy, then I'm happy. He should be fine to play as he worked with the new OC in HAM for some time.

I have been too busy to post but wondered if there was a way to get him to BC where with Buck here last year they were prepared to go to the back up more as one game they would have but apparently he was hurt and this only came up later on.

Ham. proved last year that playing more than 1 QB is a a good thing and Wally used to do that back in the mid 2000s here.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
donefron
Starter

Grey Cup year Wally is going all in to win it at home, besides how many 1st rounders have we lost anyways.2010 Watkins left for NFL, 2013 Bo Lokombo trying to do same, 2006 Dean Valli kind of a bust, 2007 Adam Nicolson WR now in Ham, 2008 Justin Sorensen was a bust here, 2009 Jamall Lee retired too early to tell 2009 also gave us James Yurichuk who we lost to Argos but was a contributor in 2011 Cup run & Matt Carter who is now in OTT but never made it off PR here. Last few have been better in 2010 we got Marco Iannuzzi w/ 6th pick, Jabar Westerman in 2012 w/ 2nd pick & Kirby Fabien w/ 7th & 2013 pick Hunter Steward just signed so their record getting better but it is hit & miss. Probly better the sure thing of Glenn as backup to Travis as opposed to a guy we may never see play here