Andrew Harris and the Lions' running game ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
Andrew Harris determined to work harder

By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun April 2, 2014

VANCOUVER — It is easy to forget how young Andrew Harris is. He’s preparing for his sixth training camp with the B.C. Lions, yet he is still three weeks away from turning 27.

Just now about to reach his prime, the running back has settled in as a veteran presence on the Canadian Football League club, a change of circumstance that came about swiftly, like most things Harris does on a football field.

Over the winter, the Lions have parted ways with Korey Banks, Angus Reid, Paris Jackson, Buck Pierce, Ben Archibald and Anton McKenzie, through trade, retirement or release. Cumulatively, those veterans represent 58 seasons of experience in CFL locker rooms.

Destined to lead the Lions, Harris already may have arrived at that point through subtraction.

“I think, more than ever, my actions are going to speak louder than my words,” Harris said Wednesday, at a news conference to announce a one-year contract extension with the Lions. “It’s kind of funny. I was looking at the roster when all the guys were getting moved. I think there are like eight guys on the roster now from my very first camp. When you think how long that’s been (2009), and how fast guys get weeded out and dealt in this league, it puts things into perspective. You appreciate it. You feel blessed. At the same time, it makes you want to work harder to be one of those guys who has a 10-year career.”

Though still a junior with the Vancouver Island Raiders at his first Lions camp, Harris stood out among a group of candidates looking to replace feature back Stefan Logan, who jumped to the Pittsburgh Steelers after one season in the CFL.

No less a talent judge than Geroy Simon thought Harris was the best back in camp. But Lions head coach and GM Wally Buono envisioned a place for Harris in the pros as a safety or receiver because the ethos of the Canadian league at that time could not visualize the concept of a homegrown feature back.

“As smart as I was, I wanted to make a safety out of him,” Buono, now the VP of football operations acknowledged Wednesday, poking fun at himself. “I think it just shows you the kind of athlete Andrew is. Football has never been too big for him. As the feature back, that’s where he belongs. You look at his total yards from scrimmage last season, I think he was one of the top three or four in the league (he was third behind Jon Cornish and Kory Sheets). It’s not just what he does when he’s running the football. It’s what he does out of the backfield (as a pass receiver) and how he can protect the quarterback.”

What fuels Harris is a competitive drive so fierce that he is brutally hard on himself.

When his frustrations mount, as they did last season, when his performances stagnated for a long stretch -- Harris didn’t produce a 100-yard rushing game for three months -- he openly seethed. Harris spent weeks lobbying behind the scenes for a change in the blocking scheme to free him from his shackles.

It finally happened, ironically coinciding with the arrival of Logan back in the Lions den from his NFL travels. They gave statistical evidence that the Lions are a more potent team with both in the backfield mix. B.C. averaged 168 yards rushing over its final three starts in 2013.

“The one thing that bugged me is that we should have done it earlier,” Harris said. “At the end of the day, the change in the run scheme was a positive thing. Sometimes, it just takes something like that to give me faith again. I’m comfortable here, comfortable with the coaches. I told them, week in and week out, I wasn’t happy, behind closed doors. There was a small battle going on internally. But I did get to them a little bit.”

Going into 2014, Harris toyed with the idea of playing out his option before signing the short extension announced Wednesday.

In 2012, he led the CFL in yards from scrimmage with 1,830 -- 319 more than he achieved last season. He thinks a return to those former numbers will put him in a position to leverage a better deal a year from now.

Besides, he is well aware the Players’ Association is about to huddle with the CFL to hammer out a new collective bargaining agreement, which could significantly boost the salary cap or a return to a form of revenue sharing.

“I wanted to do a shorter deal, just because of the CBA,” Harris explained. “If it does change, I want a piece of the pie, too. It just gives me a little more flexibility, a few more options.”

Now it's up to Harris to seize that opportunity and run with it.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“I think, more than ever, my actions are going to speak louder than my words,” Harris said Wednesday, at a news conference to announce a one-year contract extension with the Lions. “It’s kind of funny. I was looking at the roster when all the guys were getting moved. I think there are like eight guys on the roster now from my very first camp. When you think how long that’s been (2009), and how fast guys get weeded out and dealt in this league, it puts things into perspective. You appreciate it. You feel blessed. At the same time, it makes you want to work harder to be one of those guys who has a 10-year career.”
Though still a junior with the Vancouver Island Raiders at his first Lions camp, Harris stood out among a group of candidates looking to replace feature back Stefan Logan, who jumped to the Pittsburgh Steelers after one season in the CFL.

No less a talent judge than Geroy Simon thought Harris was the best back in camp. But Lions head coach and GM Wally Buono envisioned a place for Harris in the pros as a safety or receiver because the ethos of the Canadian league at that time could not visualize the concept of a homegrown feature back.
Geroy recognized the special talent that Andrew Harris has.
“As smart as I was, I wanted to make a safety out of him,” Buono, now the VP of football operations acknowledged Wednesday, poking fun at himself. “I think it just shows you the kind of athlete Andrew is. Football has never been too big for him. As the feature back, that’s where he belongs. You look at his total yards from scrimmage last season, I think he was one of the top three or four in the league (he was third behind Jon Cornish and Kory Sheets). It’s not just what he does when he’s running the football. It’s what he does out of the backfield (as a pass receiver) and how he can protect the quarterback.”
The greatest coach in CFL history makes some mistakes too. And admits it.
When his frustrations mount, as they did last season, when his performances stagnated for a long stretch -- Harris didn’t produce a 100-yard rushing game for three months -- he openly seethed. Harris spent weeks lobbying behind the scenes for a change in the blocking scheme to free him from his shackles.

It finally happened, ironically coinciding with the arrival of Logan back in the Lions den from his NFL travels. They gave statistical evidence that the Lions are a more potent team with both in the backfield mix. B.C. averaged 168 yards rushing over its final three starts in 2013.
Yes, we changed our blocking scheme, in mid-season. We were desperate, as we have been on occasion, needing to adapt, needing to get away from schemes that became too familiar to opponents.
“The one thing that bugged me is that we should have done it earlier,” Harris said. “At the end of the day, the change in the run scheme was a positive thing. Sometimes, it just takes something like that to give me faith again. I’m comfortable here, comfortable with the coaches. I told them, week in and week out, I wasn’t happy, behind closed doors. There was a small battle going on internally. But I did get to them a little bit.”
Sometimes outstanding athletes understand better than the coaches what is needed, what is right, what is wrong. The results after the change in blocking schemes certainly lend weight to Harris' views.

IMO Harris is the farthest thing from a problem athlete. His heart and soul and body are on the line each time he carries the ball. He is totally committed. He knew the scheme was ineffective. Sometimes an athlete has to make a stand. Ultimately Wally and Benny agreed with him.
Going into 2014, Harris toyed with the idea of playing out his option before signing the short extension announced Wednesday.

In 2012, he led the CFL in yards from scrimmage with 1,830 -- 319 more than he achieved last season. He thinks a return to those former numbers will put him in a position to leverage a better deal a year from now.
If we had lost Harris ... I don't want to contemplate that.

One of my favourite players. IMO he has absolutely top level running instincts, that cannot be taught. One sees it in play after play.

The league is getting more competitive all the time. But we just may be able to compete for the Cup this year. Lots and lots of question marks, however. But our running game should be vigorous.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

For years the offence has been inflexible. Doing the same thing over and over again with the same results. Too stubborn to change.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:“The one thing that bugged me is that we should have done it earlier,” Harris said. “At the end of the day, the change in the run scheme was a positive thing. Sometimes, it just takes something like that to give me faith again. I’m comfortable here, comfortable with the coaches. I told them, week in and week out, I wasn’t happy, behind closed doors. There was a small battle going on internally. But I did get to them a little bit.”

For years the offence has been inflexible. Doing the same thing over and over again with the same results. Too stubborn to change.
IMHO, the leaving of Chapdelaine played a big part in Harris choosing to resign in BC.
Lloyd
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:“The one thing that bugged me is that we should have done it earlier,” Harris said. “At the end of the day, the change in the run scheme was a positive thing. Sometimes, it just takes something like that to give me faith again. I’m comfortable here, comfortable with the coaches. I told them, week in and week out, I wasn’t happy, behind closed doors. There was a small battle going on internally. But I did get to them a little bit.”

IMHO, the leaving of Chapdelaine played a big part in Harris choosing to resign in BC.

Lloyd, I agree...and I think that Harris is in for a big season...as for JC, there are no arguments possible to defend this...he was a stubborn OC for the Lions...it was always under very painful circumstances that changes were mandated with him...and 6 months later he was back to Chapball, or Crapball, or whatever it was...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:

Sounds like that is a good possibility, just another nail in the coffin that was the BC Lions offense last season. Ironically as much as we harp on that season, the Lions came within a whisker of moving on to play the Stamps who were injury riddled.
Entertainment value = an all time low