Lions have signed Jyles as TC barometer.....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... index.html

Looks like they are using him to guage the TC quarterbacks......?
Rammer
Team Captain

Looks like this is the reasoning behind the release of Elliot. At least if he got some playing time, and the backfield of Logan and Harris, he would become the third layer to a possible running attack. Not sold on his football total skillset, but it looks like he is willing to be the backup and won't carry the pricetag of another attempted off season acquisition.
Entertainment value = an all time low
JohnHenry
Champion

Good move by the Lions, I had suggested they sign Jyles last season. Can't believe it took this long for him to get back in the CFL? Jyles worked under 6 different OC's in his last 5 CFL seasons, I believe. It's hard to develop any consistency with that type of turnover.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Is anyone here really going to say they would be comfortable with Steven Jyles as the main QB if Lulay got hurt? I would rather have stuck with Elliot.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:Is anyone here really going to say they would be comfortable with Steven Jyles as the main QB if Lulay got hurt? I would rather have stuck with Elliot.
Not to make an argument here, but I think that Jyles is an upgrade due to his legs vs Elliot. Neither QB is going to win the GC, so yes Lulay had best remain relatively healthy for any chance success. Plus, the Lions OL had better perform this year, in both protection and for the run game. Out RB backfield can take a lot of pressure off any QB that steps in if the OL can gel.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I like Wally's reasoning. Jyles brings credibility to the locker room because he has had 28 CFL starts.
“What I want is to have confidence in the locker room that we have quarterbacks who can get the job done,” said Buono.

“John Beck or Jarrett Lee might be that guy. But to have a guy who has had 28 starts, there’s a certain credibility to that.”
It will be interesting to see who is No. 3 on the training camp depth chart. Will Chris Hart get meaningful snaps? The No. 3, 4 and 5 QBs seldom get to throw to veteran receivers in camp.
JohnHenry
Champion

Sir Purrcival wrote:Is anyone here really going to say they would be comfortable with Steven Jyles as the main QB if Lulay got hurt? I would rather have stuck with Elliot.
I'd be more comfortable with Jyles than any other backup on the Lions roster including Elliot. He has 8 years experience in the CFL and started 28 games. Before suffering his shoulder injury Steven was having a great season in Wpg:

JYLES 2010 WPG: 196 of 318 for 2,804 yds (61.6%) with 19 td - 7 int = 100.9 QBR

That season he rushed for another 452 yds (7.0 yd avg) and 4 td.

Those are Travis Lulay-type numbers in his best 2011-12 seasons.

The wheels fell off Jyles career in Edm after being traded for Ricky Ray. I guess the OC duo of M. Crandell and Kavis Reed didn't help him much? :wink:
David
Team Captain

I am comfortable with this signing. To come to a quarterback factory with no pressure makes a lot of sense. I have seen some flashes of brilliance from Jyles and colossal blunders. I can live with somewhere down the middle.

I was on record as no longer having interest in Kevin Glenn for the type of meaningful reps he'd likely get here vs the assets it would take to acquire him (relative to our overall depth). It would have been way too steep a price if we're talking about a non-import starter and high draft pick (at the very least).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some new team always believes in Steven Jyles. He had a tough time in Edmonton, being traded for Hall of Fame bound Ricky Ray.

Well, he may find some peace here as the B.C. Lions are "quarterback-friendly."

JohnHenry pointed out some interesting stats. We know he can run. But at times he has put up good passing numbers and QB rating also.

He has experience, and I expect he can be a good teammate.

He has been in some very, very poor situations. So I will hope for the best now. (For a few seconds, I thought this might have been a delayed April 1st message.)
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I feel better this morning than when I went to bed.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Close enough for Rock and Roll. We aren't winning if Travis isn't starting, regardless of who is behind him now that Buck has retired. Best to have someone with some experience in the league behind him.
South Pender
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:He has been in some very, very poor situations. So I will hope for the best now. (For a few seconds, I thought this might have been a delayed April 1st message.)
No. That would have been Michael Bishop.
the-real-hugo
Rookie

JohnHenry wrote:
I'd be more comfortable with Jyles than any other backup on the Lions roster including Elliot. He has 8 years experience in the CFL and started 28 games. Before suffering his shoulder injury Steven was having a great season in Wpg:

JYLES 2010 WPG: 196 of 318 for 2,804 yds (61.6%) with 19 td - 7 int = 100.9 QBR
That season he rushed for another 452 yds (7.0 yd avg) and 4 td.
Those are Travis Lulay-type numbers in his best 2011-12 seasons.
The wheels fell off Jyles career in Edm after being traded for Ricky Ray. I guess the OC duo of M. Crandell and Kavis Reed didn't help him much? :wink:
Jyles falls apart when the pressure is on - and that Winnipeg season was the purrfect example. Played well early in games, but if the score was close in the 4th, he lost it. His experience will help in camp, he will probably be the short yardage guy for the season, but if Lulay goes down, the home team ain't winning the Grey Cup.
David
Team Captain

the-real-hugo wrote:...but if Lulay goes down, the home team ain't winning the Grey Cup.

True, but the same could be said about virtually every CFL team with the exception of 1A and 1B Tate/Mitchell in Calgary (and I suppose Burris/Glenn in Ottawa....but they're not likely going to the big dance :wink:).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:I am comfortable with this signing. To come to a quarterback factory with no pressure makes a lot of sense. I have seen some flashes of brilliance from Jyles and colossal blunders. I can live with somewhere down the middle.

I was on record as no longer having interest in Kevin Glenn for the type of meaningful reps he'd likely get here vs the assets it would take to acquire him (relative to our overall depth). It would have been way too steep a price if we're talking about a non-import starter and high draft pick (at the very least).

Sekeras I think it was this morning was pondering if the Jyles signing might've been more a salvo towards Ottawa and their asking price for Glenn. Could be a bit of a poker game happening. By signing Jyles it would appear BC is out of the Glenn market. That isn't necessarily the case from Buono's side. By signing Jyles BC becomes defacto not interested in Glenn or perhaps much less interested. Regardless it reduces the demand for Glenn. Fewer potential trading partners does impact the return Ottawa might receive. Question is will it reduce it Ottawa's asking price enough that Wally may re-enter the conversation?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.