Lions sign Hunter Steward

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 30s

#BCLions have signed OL Hunter Steward
Lloyd
JohnHenry
Champion

Wow, great news for our OL! :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good first start. Now let's get Danny Watkins to come home.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

This is indeed very good news. Drafting Stewart in 2013 as a junior player a couple picks ahead of Ottawa who was only allowed to draft junior players was a very crafty move by the Lions. When the the Ottawa expansion draft was held Stewart was not under contract to the Lions so they did not need to protect him or worry about loosing him to Ottawa since he was not under contract to the Lions, but still Lion's property.
David
Team Captain

While this is certainly welcome news, I don't want everyone to get their hopes up that this signing alone will represent a vast improvement to the line this year. In fact, it's no slam dunk that he will be a starter in 2014; at this point he might just be good depth (I'm guessing at tackle).

Not to be a buzz-kill, but he's a rookie for starters (known more for strength and "meanness" than technique, according to Bates), coming off surgery, and has never played the Canadian game before. Sure, guys like Matt Norman and Brett Jones have come to the league as rookies and impressed, but it usually takes at least a year or two before O-linemen can come in and be effective starters. One could also point to Kirby Fabien as an impressive rookie starter and they'd be right. But he also red-shirted and came to the Lions' camp last year as a 23-year old.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

David wrote:While this is certainly welcome news, I don't want everyone to get their hopes up that this signing alone will represent a vast improvement to the line this year. In fact, it's no slam dunk that he will be a starter in 2014; at this point he might just be good depth (I'm guessing at tackle).

Not to be a buzz-kill, but he's a rookie for starters (known more for strength and "meanness" than technique, according to Bates), coming off surgery, and has never played the Canadian game before. Sure, guys like Matt Norman and Brett Jones have come to the league as rookies and impressed, but it usually takes at least a year or two before O-linemen can come in and be effective starters. One could also point to Kirby Fabien as an impressive rookie starter and they'd be right. But he also red-shirted and came to the Lions' camp last year as a 23-year old.

Very true. We're impressed with this guy's size and pretty good college record, but playing against seasoned men is different from what he's used to. I hope he can start in 2014, but wouldn't be surprised at all if it took a year or so to get him up to starting speed. I was hoping that Wally would get us an experienced free agent O-lineman, and I suppose this could still happen through trade.

Still, I'm glad we've closed the deal on Steward.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

David wrote:While this is certainly welcome news, I don't want everyone to get their hopes up that this signing alone will represent a vast improvement to the line this year. In fact, it's no slam dunk that he will be a starter in 2014; at this point he might just be good depth (I'm guessing at tackle).

That's why signing Danny Watkins is SO important......it would allow Steward to "apprentice" for a year or 2.
Lloyd
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Hmmm, being known for your 'meaness'. Its obviously a thing that can help you do your job. Does that meaness apply to all parts of an olinemans job? Or does it help a particular facet run blocking versus pass blocking?

The really good Olinemen seem to be able to goad D-linemen into taking dumb penalties, probably part of that meanness....

Could become a member of Taylors all-name team.........(sounds like a name of an aristocrat)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good signing.

Got the right physical attributes. Should be a very good CFL O Linemen in time. Maybe right away, but more likely in a year or two. I hope we continue to see our young O Linemen do well, as has happened with Matt Norman and Kirby Fabien. Not too much stuff in their heads, please. Keep it physical. Keep their confidence up. Keep it simple. Let's see development, not one after another young NI O Linemen fall to the wayside.

Rather than guard, with his height, more likely a right tackle here, or even a left tackle in time, if he develops.

Danny Watkins? That would make quite a coup. Two futures come home to roost. We would suddenly have pretty good depth in the NI O Line roster. And the draft might bring another.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:That's why signing Danny Watkins is SO important......it would allow Steward to "apprentice" for a year or 2.
I don't think he's going to play behind Watkins though. I believe Watkins (assuming he's even interested in coming up here) would come in as a guard. Hunter played left tackle in college, but I would have to think the Lions would play him at right tackle behind Archibald (or whichever 'seasoned' import they play there) with Olafioye moving to left tackle. My guess is we'll see a new import at right tackle for the 2014 season and a non-import right tackle (hopefully Steward) in 2015. I don't see him giving up his NFL dream too easily though.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

Looks like you were right Shi Zi Mi. I was wrong. According to LU this morning, the Lions will move Hunter Steward inside to guard this year.
Lowell Ullrich wrote:Steward played left tackle during his two years as an offensive starter in college under Liberty coach and ex-CFL quarterback Turner Gill, but will move inside and contest a guard spot with the Lions.
BTW, there's a HS interview on BCLions.com. Seems like a great character guy, happy to be here, humble. I am happy about this signing. :thup:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Looks like you were right Shi Zi Mi. I was wrong. According to LU this morning, the Lions will move Hunter Steward inside to guard this year.
Lowell Ullrich wrote:Steward played left tackle during his two years as an offensive starter in college under Liberty coach and ex-CFL quarterback Turner Gill, but will move inside and contest a guard spot with the Lions.

IIRC, Watkins played LT his entire college career, but then the Eagles moved him inside......I could see (actually hope with all my heart) him playing RT for the Lions while using an import at the Guard position....that would allow Steward to backup the Tackle positions for a year or so.
Lloyd
The_Pauser
Legend

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
David wrote:Looks like you were right Shi Zi Mi. I was wrong. According to LU this morning, the Lions will move Hunter Steward inside to guard this year.

IIRC, Watkins played LT his entire college career, but then the Eagles moved him inside......I could see (actually hope with all my heart) him playing RT for the Lions while using an import at the Guard position....that would allow Steward to backup the Tackle positions for a year or so.
I don't know that we would even need an import for the guard position. I would be okay going with Olafioye-Fabian-Norman-Kabongo-Watkins, with Steward being the main backup at guard and tackle.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm happy to have Steward understudy the guard and tackle positions this year. It's too much to expect him to start in his first year, given that he's coming off recent shoulder surgery, making the jump from a small NCAA school and learning the Canadian game. The starting lineup appears to be unchanged with this signing: Olafioye at LT, Valli at LG, Norman and C, Fabien at RG and a new import RT, plus Kabongo and Anthony Daley for non-import depth. With Danny Watkins still in the mix, the Lions appear to be well stocked with young non-import linemen.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Shi Zi Mi wrote:

Watkins did play LT at Baylor but looking at his size it's easy to see why the Eagles moved him inside. While he did play tackle Mel Kiper had him listed as the top guard prospect in the 2011 draft. He's listed as 6'3" 310# and showed tremendous strength in combine results. That seems more suitable for inside play against those big NFL tackles. Both leagues prefer a tackle to be taller with good wingspan.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.