Ralph Wilson has died....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 13m

#NFL RT @judybattista Sad news here: Ralph Wilson, the owner of the #BuffaloBills, has died.

Tim Graham ‏@ByTimGraham 6m

Ralph Wilson was 95. He was a World War II veteran, founded the Buffalo Bills and is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Lloyd
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

It will be interesting to see how this will impact football in Toronto and the CFL in general.

The Bills were not moving as long as he was alive.....now.....all bets are off.
Lloyd
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Although this makes me feel a little better:

David William Naylor ‏@TSNDaveNaylor 3m

Ralph Wilson's passing will trigger speculation about Bills' future. But current lease means massive penalties for moving team before 2020.
Lloyd
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, if the team does move at a some point, no doubt it will be moving far away and south. That maybe a boost for Toronto. Apparently Wilson bought the team for $25000.00 dollars in 1959. If/when it is sold, it could well fetch close to 1bn $. Sad day though. NFL or no, obviously a very devoted football fan and we can never have enough of those. Sympathies to his family.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

That might get the Toronto based NFL wannabes in an uproar.

Keep the Bills in Buffalo. Doan wan no NFL in Canada. Nossir.

Be happy with your Raptors, Maple Leafs (sp?) and Blue Jays. LOL

And love the Argos. Love the CFL. Better game than the NFL. Great athletes. Smaller salaries. Smaller egos. More human and down to earth. :thup:

Stop this wannabe stuff.

Yes, sympathies to the Wilson family. And to Jim Kelly, battling health issues.

Wilson, Levy and Kelly came so close to winning the Super Bowl. They deserved at least one.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Much speculation that the Bills will be sold upon Ralph Wilson's passing.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Ralph Wilson, the Buffalo Bills owner who helped found the American Football League in 1960 and played a key role in the merger with the NFL, died Tuesday. He was 95.

Wilson died at his home in Grosse Pointe Shores, Mich., said Mary Mazur, spokeswoman for the Wayne County medical examiner's office. He had been receiving home hospice care.

Bills President Russ Brandon announced the death at the NFL meetings in Orlando, Fla. Wilson gave up daily oversight of the club on Jan. 1, 2013, when he relinquished the president's title to Brandon.

Wilson was the founder and sole owner of the Bills after establishing the team with the upstart AFL. He was inducted into the Football Hall of Fame in 2009.

"Ralph Wilson was a driving force in developing pro football into America's most popular sport," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "Ralph always brought a principled and common-sense approach to issues."

Wilson had been in failing health for several years after hip surgery in 2011. Though he spent much of his time at his home in suburban Detroit, he attended Hall of Fame induction weekends. He was a regular at Bills home games since founding the franchise, but had not been there since going to one game in 2010.

"No one loves this game more than Ralph Wilson," Brandon said in a statement. "It's very tough. What he's' meant to the entire organization. He's our leader, our mentor our friend. How he loves his players and loved our community. Special guy. They just don't make them like Ralph Wilson."

Wilson was deemed the "conscience" of the NFL for his loyalty to fans and the stands he took against franchise relocation.

"He didn't let anyone pull anything off in him. He was very forceful," New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson said.

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank called him a "visionary and pioneer of professional football" whose "lasting impact on the NFL will forever be felt."

Wilson's one regret was the Bills' inability to win a Super Bowl. They came close in the early 1990s, when the Marv Levy-coached and Jim Kelly-quarterbacked teams won four consecutive AFC championships from 1990-93, but lost each time.

The Bills, however, have not made the playoffs since 1999 and their 14 post-season drought ranks as the NFL's longest active streak.

What Wilson never lacked was his sense of humour.

In 2010, with the Bills 0-5, Wilson began an interview with The Associated Press with an apology. "I want to apologize for this phone system," Wilson said, with a familiar chuckle. "It's almost as bad as my team."

The future of the team is now in the hands of Brandon and Wilson's second-in-command, Bills treasurer Jeffrey Littmann. For the meantime, the Bills are expected to be placed in a trust before eventually being sold.

Wilson expressed no interest of leaving the team to his family. He is survived by wife Mary, daughter Christy Wilson-Hofmann, who serves as a Bills consultant. There's also niece Mary Owen, who has risen up the Bills ranks and serves on several NFL committees while working as the team's executive vice-president of strategic planning.

Kelly has expressed interest in buying the franchise and has previously said he's assembled a group of investors.

Kelly's health, however, has become an issue this week. He is expected to have surgery for a second time in a year following the recurrence of cancer that his wife described as aggressive and "starting to spread."

Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula has deep pockets and is also considered a candidate to purchase the Bills and keep them in Buffalo.

That doesn't remove the possibility of outside interests making offers and relocating the team to much larger markets such as Los Angeles or nearby Toronto, where the Bills began playing annual regular-season "home" games in 2008. That series was postponed this year.

The Bills' future in Orchard Park is secure for the short term. The team negotiated a 10-year lease in December 2012 with the state and county to continue playing at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

It's a $271 million deal, of which $130 million will be committed to upgrading an aging stadium that opened in 1973.

The agreement includes a provision that essentially locks in the Bills through the first seven seasons. The franchise would have to pay $400 million if it decides to leave before 2019. The team then has an option of buying out the remaining three years of the lease for $28 million.

Wilson played a key role in helping form the modern day NFL, along with Lamar Hunt and Bud Adams.

Wilson went as far as to travel to the 1964 Winter Games at Innsbruck, Austria -- where he slept on the floor of a reporter's room because all the hotels were booked -- to help broker the AFL's landmark TV deal with NBC.

Wilson often voiced his opinion against fellow NFL owners in more recent years.

In 2006, he criticized several members of the new generation of NFL team owners -- Jerry Jones of Dallas, Daniel Snyder of Washington and Robert Kraft of New England -- for acting in their best interest and not the league's.

When asked how his views might be interpreted by Snyder, Wilson bluntly replied: "I don't give a damn about Dan Snyder."

As the late Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis said of Wilson in 2009: "There were a lot of guys saying (Steelers owner Dan) Rooney was the conscience. But certainly, Mr. Wilson was more of a conscience of the league."

Born in Columbus, Ohio, in 1918, Wilson moved to Detroit three years later when his father, Ralph Wilson Sr., took a sales job at an auto dealership. The father turned to insurance and in the mid-1930s landed a deal with Chrysler Corp.

The younger Wilson graduated from the University of Virginia, where he played baseball and boxed, before completing one year at the University of Michigan Law School. He made his fortune taking over his father's insurance business, but he had a passion for football.

Selling a small share he had in the Detroit Lions, Wilson went off to help form the AFL. After initially being turned down by politicians to establish a franchise in Miami, he chose Buffalo on the advice of a Detroit newspaper sports editor.

He enjoyed the "Foolish Club" label that was applied to him and his fellow AFL owners.

"What a damn fool I was," he told the AP in 2009. "But I didn't care. I just wanted to own a team."

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=447323
South Pender
Legend

Thanks for posting that TLK. I was going to say a few words about Ralph Wilson, but you've covered the main points. He was a giant in pro football, first with the AFL and then the NFL after the merger. He brought pro football to western New York state and steadfastly maintained it there, providing a team to cheer for for the fans of the New York rust belt, including Rochester and Syracuse, as well as Buffalo and all points in between. I wasn't aware of his statements about other owners, but his assessment of Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder is right on the money. Robert Kraft, I'm not so sure about, as he does seem to care about the league. His dedication to his fans and the team's home is noteworthy and in stark contrast to some of the owners who are in it for the money and ego and won't hesitate to blackmail a city into keeping the team by hitting the taxpayers (many of whom aren't football fans) or lose it. He stands out from guys like Art Modell, Robert Irsay, Bud Adams, Al Davis, and others, who thought nothing of uprooting a team and leaving the former fans high and dry. (Actually, the Seahawks, when they were owned by Ken Behring, came perilously close to being relocated to Southern California, until Paul Allen bought the team from Behring and kept it where it belonged, in Seattle. Behring was just another rich egotist who owned a football team and couldn't care less about the fans.) The NFL has lost a truly great owner.

David Braley reminds me a lot of Ralph Wilson. Both phenomenally wealthy, but not in football for the money. Great contributors to a part of their country's culture.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Have to admit I was kinda clueless (still am actually) how things were in Buffalo. Its another one of those areas that has been hard hit by changes in the economy. Over the past few decades shuttered factories are just part of the landscape....

I was cheering on Kelly and the Bills during their 0-4 steak in the big one. I sure hope the Bills do stay in Buffalo. Its just one more thing their part of the state can't afford to lose, IMO....

I sure hope that the Bills just stay put and Toronto is the last place I'd want them to end up.......
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

notahomer wrote:Have to admit I was kinda clueless (still am actually) how things were in Buffalo. Its another one of those areas that has been hard hit by changes in the economy. Over the past few decades shuttered factories are just part of the landscape....

I was cheering on Kelly and the Bills during their 0-4 steak in the big one. I sure hope the Bills do stay in Buffalo. Its just one more thing their part of the state can't afford to lose, IMO....

I sure hope that the Bills just stay put and Toronto is the last place I'd want them to end up.......

Based on the lack of fan support and interest for the "Bills in Toronto" series I'd say the Toronto fans don't want the Bills to end up there either.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:That might get the Toronto based NFL wannabes in an uproar.

Keep the Bills in Buffalo. Doan wan no NFL in Canada. Nossir.

Be happy with your Raptors, Maple Laffs (sp?) and Blue Jays. LOL

And love the Argos. Love the CFL. Better game than the NFL. Great athletes. Smaller salaries. Smaller egos. More human and down to earth. :thup:

Stop this wannabe stuff.

Fixed that for you.
BakeTEAM1040
prospect

2020: Bills in Toronto. Rams in LA (likely a few years before), and the Jaguars will be in London. Having attended the Jacksonville-San Francisco game at Wembley last October, they are clearly branding the Jaguars as London's adopted team and I took away the fact they seemed to be testing the waters for a possible move. A team in London is pretty much Goodell's legacy, hence the increased number of reg. season games being played there.

I am also an optimist: The CFL can and will survive with the NFL in TO. With the Bills likely to be purchased by someone within Rogers (remember corporations cannot own NFL teams, has to be in the name of an individual) the franchise will all but for certain be televised on the Rogers platform, leaving TSN free to support the CFL deal. This also may not be considered a true location with Toronto already considered part of the Bills territory. Kind of like when the Patriots were rumoured to be moving to Hartford back in the late nineties.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think anyone who thinks the cfl and nfl can coexist in any city in Canada has to be half baked :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I think anyone who thinks the cfl and nfl can coexist in any city in Canada has to be half baked :wink:
X2
JohnHenry
Champion

I think anyone who thinks the cfl and nfl can coexist in any city in Canada has to be half baked :wink:
Yep, the entire league has no future if the NFL sets up shop in Canada. :2cents:
Last edited by JohnHenry on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.