Angus Reid retires

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=445517
B.C. Lions centre Angus Reid announced his retirement on Friday.

The Richmond, BC native and Simon Fraser product dressed for 200 career CFL games over 13 seasons as well as 11 playoff games and three Grey Cup appearances.

"Few players have made the kind of impression both on and off the field as a member of the BC Lions that Angus has during his career," said Lions vice president of football operations and general manager Wally Buono. "He was an incredibly durable player, a tremendous leader in our dressing room and he will be missed by everyone in our organization."

Reid, a two-time Grey Cup champion (2006, 2011), three-time West Division All-Star (2004, 2011, 2012) and 2011 All-Canadian originally came to the Lions by way of trade in July 2001 after a brief stint with the Montreal Alouettes and the Toronto Argonauts who drafted the local talent fourth overall that year.

"I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to play the game I love in front of the most important people in my life for more than a decade," said Reid. "I leave football with a lifetime worth of memories and as a far richer person because of the people who I have had the pleasure and honour to call teammates and coaches. My thanks as well to fans of the BC Lions, you are simply the best and it was a privilege to represent you on the field."
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The latest in the series of long serving centres for the Lions.

A smart player. Seemingly comfortable in Dan Dorazio's system, which, it seems to me, can be extremely complex.

I expect he will be missed as a calming influence on young players, in an O Line in transition.

He has been part of some very good O Lines over the years. In particular, with Rob Murphy at left tackle and Jason Jimenez at right tackle. Kelly Bates on one side as left guard and Sherko Haji-Rasouli on the other, as right guard. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Angus has been the face and the voice of the Lions in recent years, especially since the departure of Geroy Simon. His work ethic, leadership and communication skills are first class. I congratulate him on a great career and hope to hear more from him as a commentator on radio, TV and in print.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Angus has been the face and the voice of the Lions in recent years, especially since the departure of Geroy Simon. His work ethic, leadership and communication skills are first class. I congratulate him on a great career and hope to hear more from him as a commentator on radio, TV and in print.
Yes his communication skills are second to none. If the Lions don't take advantage of that, then certainly we will hear him on TV or radio, way to articulate not to use that natural skillset. IR his story of Casey Printers and Adriano Belli, where Printers went in for a third and short yardage play only to come out of the pile screaming that he wasn't going in there anymore (yelling a few more adjectives though)....apparently due to Belli's finger making an unwanted penetration. Of course his intention of doing something to mess Printers up was indicated at the LoS by Belli, making it slightly more than just disturbing. Reid was able to delicately work around this issue on radio, and even then you got the sense that the boys must have laughed about that afterwords.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

All the best to Angus Reid for his many years of service. :thup:

He ranks tied at #6 in terms of games played as a Lion:

1. 408 – Lui Passaglia (1976–2000)
2. 265 – Jamie Taras (1987–2002)
3. 233 – Al Wilson (1972–86)
4. 223 – Norm Fieldgate (1954–67)
5. 202 – Cory Mantyka (1993–2005)
6. 197 – Jim Young (1967–79)
6. 197 – Angus Reid (2001–2013)
8. 194 – Geroy Simon (2001–2012)
9. 192 – Glen Jackson (1976–87)
10. 185 – Brent Johnson (2001–2011)

I'm sure he will be inducted in the Lions Wall of Fame in the years to come. But when it comes to creating lists on the best BC Lions by position, will Angus Reid dethrone Al Wilson as the best ever BC Lions centre? I think not.
Last edited by Robbie on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
MikeAK
All Star

One heck of a soldier for the club. He will be missed but never forgotten. Thanks for the effort he gave the game and it's fans. Wish him the best.
South Pender
Legend

Damn, I was hoping he'd stay on for one more year (with Matt Norman moving back to guard for the year). Our O-line is looking pretty shaky....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I wish him good health in his retirement.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I just realized that I have no idea who played centre between Wilson and Reid.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
leo4life
All Star

Was Jamie Tarras the centre before Angus?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Was Jamie Tarras the centre before Angus?
Taras came before Reid and Ian Sinclair was between Wilson & Taras. I believe there might have been another player or two between Taras & Reid but they obviously wouldn't have lasted very long at C.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think Willie Postler had a stint at centre before surrendering the position to Taras
notahomer
Hall of Famer

When Reid broke onto the scene I laughed because he shares first/last names with a long-time market researcher in Canada
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Reid_Public_Opinion).

Angus Reid has certainly gone on to have a long career as a BC Lion. I hope we find another long-term centre to lead our offence.....

I'd like to see Angus get some kinda gig on the Food Network, either trying out restaurants etc.....

Thanks for all those years Angus, it was especially sweet watching you win a Grey Cup here in 2011......
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I just realized that I have no idea who played centre between Wilson and Reid.

Al Wilson

Jamie Taras

Angus Reid

1972-2013. Amazing stability at centre.
I keep thinking that Taras played elsewhere on the oline. Was he always centre?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I think Willie Postler had a stint at centre before surrendering the position to Taras
Actually TheLionKing, Willie Postler was a 6'6" Vancouverite (born in Vienna Austria) who played college ball down in the States, and only played a couple of games at centre in 1972 before relinquishing the role to Al "Dirt" Wilson who never gave it up.

The trivia question really is who was the last player prior to Al Wilson to play a stretch at centre for the Leos?
A: Bob Howes

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar