Home Opener vs Argos....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
Spud387 wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:The American anthem Thursday would be a very nice touch and something the Lions should consider doing.
Eh. I am not a fan. Its two Canadian teams playing in Canada. US anthem not needed.

Yes there are American players, but other leagues don't sing the anthems based off of the players, just the teams.
I think it has more to do with it being July 4th and it is a way to honour those that are from the states that play our great game. I don't think it will be a regular occurence.
I think it's a classy touch and for this occasion fully endorse it. I'm sure it will be SSB first, then O Canada.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
notahomer wrote:
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:..... Nazareth is doing Chilliwack :shock:
Not being sarcastic as I have never listened to Nazareth..... Are they playing IN Chilliwack or redoing some of Chilliwack's (the band) songs?

I don't think the US anthem should be played on a regular basis except for the fact its that day and lots of the players on both teams are Americans..... I'm glad the Lions are choosing to do it but it wouldn't have been a big deal one way or the other.

I'm more thrilled knowing I'm not going to BC PlaceSauna. That roof being cracked open should make it a nice night to take in a football game. I switched seats in the off-season so I get to try out my new seat location (same section 218) but a few rows closer to the field. (I moved seats because my friend/I had aisle seats and it seems the further some people sit from the aisles the move often they want to get up/come back to their seats.)
They're playing in Chilliwack. But I can imagine them doing a decent cover of songs like Lonesome Mary or Raino. Heck, they took a Joni Mitchell song and rocked with it, so why not?

I don't object on principle to the TSSB being sung for the Fourth, I just hate hearing it played any more than is required since it's usually mangled. Not that O Canada usually gets treated any better...
Frankly, I wouldn't mind if we did away with anthems at league games altogether in general, aside from occasions like this week. But then I suppose if we didn't hear them often enough, people would end up forgetting the lyrics. :juggle:

Speaking of songs covered by Nazareth, here's one that many people don't recognise as such, although they were at least the fifth different act to record it:

[video][/video]
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Originally cut by the Everly Brothers. Wikipedia lists 50 known/documented covers
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:Originally cut by the Everly Brothers. Wikipedia lists 50 known/documented covers
I'm anxiously awaiting the box set from Rhino Records, complete with Annie Leibovitz photo booklet and fully-researched essay co-written by Robert Christgau and Greil Marcus!
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

If you'll allow me a bad segue back to football, I hope we won't be singing "Matt Hurts" after this game. Both he and Kirby are going to have their hands full with a motivated Khalif.

And I wonder if Andrew Harris is going to be sorry he tweeted, "Good riddance"? You have to believe we're going to try to attack the Argos on the ground more than we did the Stamps....and yes, that means more runs up the "A" gap at Khalif.

The flip side is Khalif has (had?) a tendency to get almost too jacked up for games which may cause him to go offside, or take bad penalties, or over-pursue etc.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Khalif Mitchell is going to be sky high on his return to BC Place. Hope the Lions have a special package to counter his aggressiveness ie. counter, traps
danfootball48
prospect

I'm thinking more along the lines of 26-27,000 for Thursday. Lions just never draw well at the start of the season, seems to take casual fans a while to figure out the season is underway and hockey remains front and centre during the draft, trades and free agency period (Canucks are doing their part to make plenty of news these days). An 18,000 season ticket base still means an 8,000 to 9,000 walk up just hit those numbers.
Keep in mind the Lions opened last season as defending champs with a Grey Cup rematch against the Bombers and Geroy poised to break the receiving yards record. Attendance: 29,351 and that was on a Friday night, not Thursday.

SammyGreene2013 MVP

Sounds realistic, but i would not say every year fans have not stayed away from opening night i remember after the 2006 grey cup championship 34,000 came out to see edmonton, on a hot friday night in the old dome, i do not make excusses it is a thursday night, canucks news all week, etc, i just think a lot of it is pricing and how the lions lost last week.

lets hope for a great walk up with those $30,00-$25,00 tickets
zark
Champion

Thursday night football sucks. I could care less what the halftime show is or the pre game show. If this team is called the BC lions, then they should schedule their games so people from Kelowna or Princeton or Lilooet or Kamloops Or even Logan Lake,can come in and not have to worry about getting back to work the next day. It's not like you have to share the stadium with a half assed baseball team.
I'll say it again. Thursday night football is not preferable to my lifestyle.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
They're playing in Chilliwack. But I can imagine them doing a decent cover of songs like Lonesome Mary or Raino. Heck, they took a Joni Mitchell song and rocked with it, so why not?...
Well then, I'd love to hear Nazareth's version of 'I believe' and even tweak the lyrics for a Lions perspective....

I believe, theres been a change in me....

(as for the game tomorrow. I was out along False Creek today and I can't imagine how hot it would be WITHOUT the new roof. Thankfully won't have to find out)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

At first I thought no, but agree that with so many Americans here in Canada why not. It is as noted - a classy touch for players who are not home during this important holiday for them and don't get to be involved in the family festivities. For 3 years I used to attend the US Consul's July 4 party at their Shaughnessy home and of course they played both anthems on that day. What I found not cool was how we Canadians didn't sing despite the words - their anthem - yet the many Americans sang ours. In those days the Consul was a friend who credited me with deciding to take this 3 year post where his only brother and his family are living.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy