Home Opener vs Argos....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Two emails hit the in-box from the Lions today.

Maybe its based on the performance last week versus the Stamps but EVERY seat will have a RALLY towel for the home opener. The Lions have had a history of a giveaway for the home opener. Still see guys sporting the home opener ballcap we got a few seasons back. This year its a rally towel....

And the least surprising but still VERY IMPORTANT news...... THE ROOF WILL BE OPEN. I'm betting this is one game we will all be thrilled there is a retractable roof on BC PLace. I'm betting that it would be an absolute sauna Thursday night with the old roof.

Will the stadium play the American anthem Thursday? I know there are no American teams involved in the game but considering its July 4 and there is lots of American players on both teams, maybe it does get played. No big deal if not, just curious......
danfootball48
prospect

Yes i hope at least they get 30,000 even, i am thinking on the way they played, and with the weather ( yes the roof is open) in which there are other things people want to do on a thursday night, plus being on thursday is not good for familys that have to work the next day, ATTENDANCE 28,000 YES I AGREE , IMAGINE IF THEY HAD THE OLD DOME, HOW HOT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THERE,

in the old days they would be lucky at 25,000

Lions better come out and put on a better performance.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The American anthem Thursday would be a very nice touch and something the Lions should consider doing.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 26-27,000 for Thursday. Lions just never draw well at the start of the season, seems to take casual fans a while to figure out the season is underway and hockey remains front and centre during the draft, trades and free agency period (Canucks are doing their part to make plenty of news these days). An 18,000 season ticket base still means an 8,000 to 9,000 walk up just hit those numbers.
Keep in mind the Lions opened last season as defending champs with a Grey Cup rematch against the Bombers and Geroy poised to break the receiving yards record. Attendance: 29,351 and that was on a Friday night, not Thursday.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to one of the emails from the Lions, Sophie Tweed-Simmons will sing both the American and Canadian national anthems.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:According to one of the emails from the Lions, Sophie Tweed-Simmons will sing both the American and Canadian national anthems.
I think she's the daughter of Gene Simmons of KISS. They're in town.
Spud387
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:The American anthem Thursday would be a very nice touch and something the Lions should consider doing.
Eh. I am not a fan. Its two Canadian teams playing in Canada. US anthem not needed.

Yes there are American players, but other leagues don't sing the anthems based off of the players, just the teams.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Spud387 wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:The American anthem Thursday would be a very nice touch and something the Lions should consider doing.
Eh. I am not a fan. Its two Canadian teams playing in Canada. US anthem not needed.

Yes there are American players, but other leagues don't sing the anthems based off of the players, just the teams.
I think it has more to do with it being July 4th and it is a way to honour those that are from the states that play our great game. I don't think it will be a regular occurence.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
bluto
prospect

lost 10 in a row out there... our boys will be playing football after midnight... you guys lost last week and don't want to fall to 0-2...

don't really like our chances, but we've got Ricky and some guys who can make something from nothing any time a defence leaves them unchecked so you never know. and it'll be fun to see if Khalif comes up big after all the offseason drama.

glad they're honouring the american anthem for the player's sakes. i think that's a class move.

good luck guys.
CHAMP16NS
bluto's Argonaut Diaries: here
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

bluto wrote:lost 10 in a row out there... our boys will be playing football after midnight... you guys lost last week and don't want to fall to 0-2...

don't really like our chances, but we've got Ricky and some guys who can make something from nothing any time a defence leaves them unchecked so you never know. and it'll be fun to see if Khalif comes up big after all the offseason drama.

glad they're honouring the american anthem for the player's sakes. i think that's a class move.

good luck guys.
Count me among those who have no problem with the US anthem on this occasion. But I am dreading the possibility of the lout factor, the clowns who feel for whatever petty reasons that they should boo during the performance.

BTW, this also happens to be the Lions' 1000th regular season game (500th home game) in franchise history.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

LFITQ wrote:
Spud387 wrote:

I think it has more to do with it being July 4th and it is a way to honour those that are from the states that play our great game. I don't think it will be a regular occurence.
How many MBL stadiums, even those with Canadian players, did they play O Canada in on Monday?
Rammer
Team Captain

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
LFITQ wrote:

How many MBL stadiums, even those with Canadian players, did they play O Canada in on Monday?
Better to set the precedent vs being a follower. Honour is rarely a bad thing, and most often shows class.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:According to one of the emails from the Lions, Sophie Tweed-Simmons will sing both the American and Canadian national anthems.
I think she's the daughter of Gene Simmons of KISS. They're in town.
I see they cancelled their Calgary Stampede gig, along with Carly Rae Jepsen, Tim McGraw and the Dixie Chicks. Well I could handle seeing the last of those, but no use for the others.

It's amazing where some of these bands end up in their old age. KISS is also doing Kelowna, Lethbridge, Brandon and Sudbury. Nazareth is doing Chilliwack :shock:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:..... Nazareth is doing Chilliwack :shock:
Not being sarcastic as I have never listened to Nazareth..... Are they playing IN Chilliwack or redoing some of Chilliwack's (the band) songs?

I don't think the US anthem should be played on a regular basis except for the fact its that day and lots of the players on both teams are Americans..... I'm glad the Lions are choosing to do it but it wouldn't have been a big deal one way or the other.

I'm more thrilled knowing I'm not going to BC PlaceSauna. That roof being cracked open should make it a nice night to take in a football game. I switched seats in the off-season so I get to try out my new seat location (same section 218) but a few rows closer to the field. (I moved seats because my friend/I had aisle seats and it seems the further some people sit from the aisles the move often they want to get up/come back to their seats.)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:How many MBL stadiums, even those with Canadian players, did they play O Canada in on Monday?
Better to set the precedent vs being a follower. Honour is rarely a bad thing, and most often shows class.
Between pettiness and class, the latter is indeed preferable.

The baseball thing isn't that good of an analogy anyway. It's not like the onfield MLB product would suffer a great deal if every last Canadian took his bat and glove and went home. As for the CFL I don't think you can make an analogous argument re:absenting Americans from all lineups.

Now if you want to talk about MLB not honouring the Dominican Republic (as the largest source of foreign-born MLBers), then you might be onto something there. But first you'd have to find out where that day falls on the calendar. Then you'd have to confirm whether they were indeed so negligent, on that day or otherwise. Then if all that homework works out, you could go on the internet and complain.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

notahomer wrote:
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:..... Nazareth is doing Chilliwack :shock:
Not being sarcastic as I have never listened to Nazareth..... Are they playing IN Chilliwack or redoing some of Chilliwack's (the band) songs?

I don't think the US anthem should be played on a regular basis except for the fact its that day and lots of the players on both teams are Americans..... I'm glad the Lions are choosing to do it but it wouldn't have been a big deal one way or the other.

I'm more thrilled knowing I'm not going to BC PlaceSauna. That roof being cracked open should make it a nice night to take in a football game. I switched seats in the off-season so I get to try out my new seat location (same section 218) but a few rows closer to the field. (I moved seats because my friend/I had aisle seats and it seems the further some people sit from the aisles the move often they want to get up/come back to their seats.)
They're playing in Chilliwack. But I can imagine them doing a decent cover of songs like Lonesome Mary or Raino. Heck, they took a Joni Mitchell song and rocked with it, so why not?

I don't object on principle to the TSSB being sung for the Fourth, I just hate hearing it played any more than is required since it's usually mangled. Not that O Canada usually gets treated any better...