CTE, Chronic traumatic encephalopathy in CFL, NFL & NHL vets

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Dan Marino Reportedly Plans to Withdraw from Concussion Lawsuit Against NFL

By Tim Daniels, Featured Columnist
Jun 3, 2014

Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino was reportedly added to the latest concussion lawsuit against the NFL by mistake, and his representatives are currently working to have him removed from the litigation.

Dave Hyde of the South Florida Sun Sentinel reports a source close to the situation stated Marino was working to protect himself from future health complications and ended up as part of the lawsuit:

It was never Marino's intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefits. They are working to correct the error.

Nathan Fenno of the Los Angeles Times noted Monday that Marino's name was attached to a suit filed in Philadelphia's U.S. District Court. The former Miami Dolphins quarterback and 14 other players were listed in the records:

The 18-page complaint alleges the NFL concealed information about football-related brain injuries and misled players, claims that are similar to those made in more than 300 related lawsuits. The NFL has repeatedly denied such claims.

The fact Marino was listed on the paperwork generated a lot of attention. He would have become one of the most high-profile players to date involved in proceedings against the league for alleged physical damages caused by head injuries.

It's unclear how, if at all, his removal from the list of players would impact the case. On a personal level, it sounds like he was just trying to protect himself rather than making any specific claims based on his current health status.

Ed Werder of ESPN reports the longtime member of the Dolphins had been talking about taking a position with the organization before word of the lawsuit broke:

Michael McCann of Sports Illustrated states his attempt to withdraw from the litigation shouldn't come as a surprise:

The legal process is a complicated one, so it's unknown how long the process to get him fully removed from the suit will take. The South Florida Sun Sentinel report provides word that discussions are ongoing between the sides with a quick resolution possible.

A Marino-led lawsuit would have obviously garnered plenty of media attention. While his removal would change that, it certainly wouldn't remove the issue of concussions and their impact on former players from the NFL's radar, which remains a huge topic of discussion.

The nine-time Pro Bowl quarterback still hasn't discussed the situation publicly.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Tighthead
Legend

I remember Marino quitting his post as Senior VP of the Dolphins after about three weeks because it was a drain on family life.

Might be a bit of a flake.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:I remember Marino quitting his post as Senior VP of the Dolphins after about three weeks because it was a drain on family life.

Well, he is certainly not controlling the message in this case. He is not out in front of it. And he is still quiet, not speaking publicly.

If he suffers damage, now would be a time to state his case. Dunno if he suffers damage, but any guy playing QB for years, taking all those hellacious hits, has to be a candidate for concussion injury, with lasting effects.

The players have all my sympathy in this legal situation.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

South Pender
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tighthead wrote:I remember Marino quitting his post as Senior VP of the Dolphins after about three weeks because it was a drain on family life.

Well, he is certainly not controlling the message in this case. He is not out in front of it. And he is still quiet, not speaking publicly.

If he suffers damage, now would be a time to state his case. Dunno if he suffers damage, but any guy playing QB for years, taking all those hellacious hits, has to be a candidate for concussion injury, with lasting effects.

The players have all my sympathy in this legal situation.
If this legal case is resolved entirely in the players' favor, it would seem to suggest that the game may need to undergo a fundamental change. Dan Marino, with his lightning-quick release and excellent protection, took fewer hits than many NFL QBs, and few were intentional hits to the head. So if, in the course of a normal NFL career--one in which the QB is hit while releasing the ball, or before or after, many many times over a period of years--concussion-related symptoms leading to early dementia are unavoidable, the way the game is currently played may have to be changed to something quite different from what we're used to seeing. It's hard to envision the game in a form that doesn't involve the kind of hitting that occurs normally in its present state, but the way things are developing on this file, I wonder whether we will have football as we know it in a few years.

Perhaps the answer is to draw up a carefully-worded agreement with all new players in which all the available medical data are disclosed and potential players are made fully aware of the risks involved. As new medical developments occur, players would be informed without delay. Player contracts could indicate that the player is fully aware of the potential for later dementia by playing and accepts the risk willingly. I know that, if I were in that position, I would give up the game rather than take these risks, but my guess is that for most players, this wouldn't stop them from signing the contract and playing, being seduced by the huge dollars and thinking that it won't happen to them. I think that something like this is the only way that we'll continue to see pro football played in the future the way we are used to seeing it. It's possible, though, that even this wouldn't be legally bullet-proof for the league and teams.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little more on Marino from Pro Football Talk:

Dan Marino: I didn’t realize I’d be listed as a concussion plaintiff

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 3, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT

Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino says that he has taken steps to ensure that his family is cared for in the event that he ever suffers from symptoms of brain damage, he did not intend to become a plaintiff in the lawsuit against the NFL.

Marino, who joined the concussion lawsuit yesterday only to withdraw today, issued a statement saying that it wasn’t his intention to become a plaintiff in the suit.

“Within the last year I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family in the event I later suffered from effects of head trauma,” Marino said, via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald. “In so doing I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff in a lawsuit against the NFL. I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims or this lawsuit and therefore I am withdrawing as a plaintiff effective immediately. I am sympathetic to other players who are seeking relief who may have suffered head injuries.”

Peter King of TheMMQB.com reports that Marino is not currently suffering from any head-trauma issues and is currently negotiating for a position working with the Dolphins, as well as for a role with the AARP.

Marino did suffer concussions on the football field, and he wants to be able to get compensation if he ever feels symptoms of brain damage. But at the moment, he says he doesn’t need and isn’t asking for any damages from the NFL.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:

Maybe he's too busy hocking his new wine with Damon Huard.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I must admit I was blown away that Marino was in the suit. Seems he was only wanting to make sure he was covered by health benefits if he did become incapacitated in the future and it was due to head injuries.

While in Canada we have less of this type of personal injury suit, it has to be a wake up call that the CFL must move to get head shots out of the game or they could end up with something similar albeit suing the CFL which has no cash is not like suing a deep pocketed NFL that does both have cash and access to more if needed.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Willis ... story.html

Willis is playing very well for Chris Jones.
Willis, who has 52 quarterback sacks in 87 games with four different CFL teams, said he's never before hit a player face-to-face like he did Collaros. Still, he defended his actions.
In a media release, the CFL said video review provided "evidence of contact to the neck area" and determined Willis "should have been penalized on the play."
Eskimos head coach Chris Jones didn't want to publicly question the fine or hit.

"The CFL has made its call on it and that's what we're going with," he said. "We teach (the players) not to lead with their headgear. There's a certain area that they're supposed to hit. We try to target that area and try to get the headgear off to the side."
Yes. I agree with this. Keep the helmet to the side.
But Jones admitted it's a lot harder to hit the QB within the rules than it was when he first came to the CFL as a defensive line coach with the Montreal Alouettes in 2002.

"In '02, you could hit him anywhere," Jones said. "(Now) you have to be very selective as to where you attack the quarterback."

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=462146
RICK WESTHEAD, TSN SENIOR CORRESPONDENT

The Canadian Football League is fighting back against veteran wide receiver Arland Bruce.

A former B.C. Lions player, Bruce suffered a concussion and was knocked out during a September 2012 game in Regina. He was cleared to play that November and alleged in a lawsuit filed in July that he was still suffering from the concussion when he returned to the field.

Two months after Bruce's lawsuit was filed, the CFL, Commissioner Mark Cohon, and Charles Tator, a renowned neurosurgeon and scientist who has consulted to the CFL, filed court documents asking that the claim be dismissed.

The CFL declined to comment.

In court documents obtained by TSN, Tator has asked that Bruce be responsible for the doctor's legal costs. Tator also asked the court to move the case to Ontario if it isn't dismissed.

The CFL also filed its response to Arland's claim.

In what Bruce's lawyer described as an expected development, the league has asked that the case be dismissed and sent to arbitration under terms of the CFL's collective bargaining agreement.

The CFL's tactic is the same one that the NFL employed during its own concussion litigation. Both leagues argued that individual teams are responsible for the health and safety of players. The NFL lost its argument and the case went to trial.

Arland's lawyer Robyn Wishart said it would be months before a court rules on the motions to dismiss or move the case to Ontario.

"Since Arland filed the case a number of former CFL players have contacted me saying that they have had health problems arising from concussions," she told TSN. "These are sad cases. In one instance, one former player who needs daily care is being looked after by his 80-year-old mother because he is American and doesn't have Medicare."

Wishart wouldn't say how many players have contacted her. She also declined to identify the players.

It's unclear how many former CFL players might be suffering from concussion-related symptoms.

After Bruce's lawsuit, the B.C. Lions told players not to speak publicly about the case, The Vancouver Sun reported.

Tony Proudfoot, a former CFL defensive back with the Montreal Alouettes and Lions, died in December 2010 after he was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

Proudfoot said before his death that he had discovered eight of the league's 15,000 all-time players had been diagnosed with the disease.

In the general population, it affects two in 100,000 people.

Months before Proudfoot's death, doctors at Boston University released a study suggesting that some deceased National Football League players who had received a diagnosis of ALS in fact didn't have the disease.

Rather, they had another fatal disease caused by concussion-like trauma that damages the central nervous system.

The Concussion Blog, a blog run by a U.S. athletic trainer, reported last month that Toronto Argonauts running back Terry Metcalf also plans to sue the league.

Metcalf, 63, who lives in Seattle and teaches kindergarten, complains of chronic ringing in his ears, memory issues, and has a 50 per cent loss of feeling in his right hand, the blog reported.

Phil Colwell, another former Argo, is also suffering concussion-related symptoms, the Waterloo Region Record reported in March.

After a 1981 game when he was knocked unconscious, Colwell said the only medical advice he received was not to go to sleep that night, and was allowed to drive himself 100 kilometres home after the game.

Colwell returned to play a week after he was knocked out. "At the time, if I had gone on the injury list for a concussion, I would have been cut," Colwell said, according to The Waterloo Region Record.

Former Argo Eric "The Flea" Allen is also in the process of suing the CFL, the blog reported. Allen, who starred with the Argos from 1973-75 can hardly walk, The Concussion Blog reported, and is being cared for by his 84-year-old mother.

Tim Fleiszer, a former CFL player who runs the Sports Legacy Institute, a non-profit group committed to advancing the study of head trauma, told TSN that there probably are other players with health problems, but might not believe that there's a big financial upside to suing the CFL.

"There's obviously a lot more money in the NFL to pay out on these things," Fleiszer said.

Bruce, 36, a self-described "unemployed football player" in his lawsuit, has asked the court to award him damages for medical expenses and loss of income.

The CFL Players' Association proposed during negotiations for collective bargaining a requirement that an independent neurologist be on the sidelines for every game, The Vancouver Sun reported.

CFL officials rejected that proposal, arguing teams already have relationships with some of Canada's top physicians. The proposal for independent neurologists was not adopted when the players agreed to a five-year CBA in June.

Bruce's claims have not been proven in court. None of the defendants have filed substantive statements of defence.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

blue64

14 mins ago

All pro football players know that football is a rough game. There are bound to be after effects from playing, especially those who had a lengthy career. Not nearly as much was known medically even 20 years ago as there is today and it is likely that team trainers, etc. we're operating in what was thought appropriate at the time. While I sympathize with the problems being suffered by athletes it is hard to hold teams responsible for actions as much as 40 years ago. Bruce's case is more recent and he may have a more valid claim for negligence than players who played 40 years ago. Report this comment!

wiideout

16 mins ago

I always fail to see how players place blame.Grassroots to College to Pro's and you blame CFL/NFL.You play a contact sport of any kind and this is the risk you take. Report this comment!

luckyshoes

18 mins ago

I hate to say it, but the CFL erred with not agreeing to have an independent neurologist on the sidelines for each and every game...I understand that the teams have doctors on the side lines, but an extra step to help out in the event of concussions. I also believe that players are responsible because they will 'mislead' doctors to get back on the field due to the potential to lose your job to injury. Report this comment!

eskies1

28 mins ago

These players make a living off the CFL and then turn around and sue the league. They ask to get into the game and then say they shouldn't have been allowed. They chose a violent sport like football and then want to claim damages? Don't they have any accountability? No one forced them to play. I think these lawsuits are rediculous. Report this comment!

bombers-jets-jays

29 mins ago

This is a terrible situation all around. Like all sports concussions and head trauma is only now getting the attention it deserves and only in the past few years have proper protocols been in place to protect players and put their safety first but guys playing before the 00's are pretty much on their own. They deserve compensation and care/treatment but with the CFL only now gaining financial stability this could undo a lot of good work if they have to pay out a massive settlement. I obviously feel for all the former players and hope they get something but I worry about the future of this great league as well. Report this comment!

franchise96_2005

1 hour ago

not sure how the entire cfl is responsible for a single teams decision.also the onus is and should be on the player not to play if they dont feel right, especially a player of bruces stature Report this comment!

seahawg

1 hour ago

If Bruce has developed ALS from football-related issues then I think he (and others) deserve compensation. Problem is, even if he wins his case, the CFL doesn't have enough money to make a real difference to him or anybody else. Report this comment!
A sampling of the comments ...

For myself, I have sympathy for these athletes. It is true they chose to play football. But the various leagues use the players to make money in business. So there are responsibilities that go along with that.

I have to say that I could see these legal problems coming. Head shots. Tackling with the helmet. Shots to the chest. So many ways to get seriously hurt.

As I have written in the past, I actually would like to see them go back to leather helmets. It seems to me that the helmets used today are more like weapons than protective gear. Guys still get concussions with them. And guys feel they can use their own head like a missile, putting both parties at risk.

Both the NFL and the CFL are at "some" risk of losing their very way of business, it seems to me.

* Head shots ... even minimal contact must be removed

* Make the helmets less of a weapon. We have amazing technology available.

Just IMO, on an issue that has a very long way to go ...

Rammer
Team Captain

Bruce is living in Surrey currently with his girlfriend and isn't working due to his head trama. He does workout, but very limited and that is a huge drain on him. It doesn't seem fair, and worst situation for him is the CFL really doesn't have the finances to help him through the rest of his life, well him and others that will step to the forefront. He is a very humble man at this point, and is doing the ground work for other CFL players that are in worse finacial position than he finds himself.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Ravi
Legend

Rammer wrote:Bruce is living in Surrey currently with his girlfriend and isn't working due to his head trama. He does workout, but very limited and that is a huge drain on him. It doesn't seem fair, and worst situation for him is the CFL really doesn't have the finances to help him through the rest of his life, well him and others that will step to the forefront. He is a very humble man at this point, and is doing the ground work for other CFL players that are in worse finacial position than he finds himself.
I am curious as to how Bruce was able to play last season for Montreal. He seemed as though he was prepared to come back this season too before his homophobic tweets. Did his symptoms only worsen recently?
Rammer
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:
Rammer wrote:Bruce is living in Surrey currently with his girlfriend and isn't working due to his head trama. He does workout, but very limited and that is a huge drain on him. It doesn't seem fair, and worst situation for him is the CFL really doesn't have the finances to help him through the rest of his life, well him and others that will step to the forefront. He is a very humble man at this point, and is doing the ground work for other CFL players that are in worse finacial position than he finds himself.
I am curious as to how Bruce was able to play last season for Montreal. He seemed as though he was prepared to come back this season too before his homophobic tweets. Did his symptoms only worsen recently?
I would suggest that like most players that have made it to the CFL level, you play through injuries. They know that you sit on the bench or get cut if you can't go, so you think that you are 80% and will improve like you always have. Problem is that the head trauma doesn't take to this type of recovery. And yes Bruce is going to have a difficult time suggesting that he played a season, pursued employment for the next one and then dropped the lawsuit on the CFL. Keep in mind all the players in the past that did the same thing when they got a concussion, to the point in the past that you took some smelling salts when you were laid out and were back playing that game. It is the nature of football, sports in general, thankfully we are learning the long term damage that concussions cause.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ok, I know there's a fairly recent thread or threads on here somewhere in this All Sports room about concussion issues in the NFL but darned if I can find it. Probably buried deep somewhere in the Brobdignagian 2014 season-long NFL thread. I guess this 2015 thread is just as good a place for this post.

Anyway this is a CNN article from last week about several NFLers who have recently retired young — getting out while the getting's good... with their health, or what's left of it before things worsen.

The article is worth clicking for a photo gallery of late ex-NFLers and other athletes whose careers were often factors in their (often premature) deaths and who were found to have evidence of CTE.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/12/opinions/ ... index.html
Why are these NFLers retiring early?
By Roxanne Jones
Updated 5:53 PM ET, Fri March 13, 2015

Story highlights
• Roxanne Jones: Several NFL players just beginning their careers are walking away
• Some say they're leaving for new opportunities, Jones says
• But maybe the news about football's serious injuries is getting through, she says

Editor's note: "Roxanne Jones, a founding editor of ESPN Magazine and former vice president at ESPN, has worked as a producer and as a reporter at the New York Daily News and The Philadelphia Inquirer. She was named a 2010 Woman of the Year by Women in Sports and Events. Jones is a co-author of "Say It Loud: An Illustrated History of the Black Athlete" and CEO of the Push Marketing Group. The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author. "

Patrick Willis, the San Francisco 49er linebacker, isn't really sure what he'll do next, but he knows he won't play another game in the National Football League. Although fans around the globe are begging the 30-year-old, seven-time Pro Bowler to "unretire," Willis said his nagging injuries and desire for a happy life are why he walked away.

"I have no regrets," said a tearful Willis in his press conference this week. "I gave this game everything I had and I am truly blessed. ... Honestly, I pay attention to guys when they're finished playing, walking around like they've got no hips and they can't play with their kids. They can barely walk.

"People see that and they feel sorry," Willis said. "But they don't realize it's because he played a few extra years."

Willis, who has a degree in criminology from Ole Miss, is a wise man. And while many sports fans are in shock that any guy lucky enough to play in the NFL would just walk away from fame and wealth, it sounds to me like Willis has his priorities right. It's refreshing.

And Willis is not alone. At a time of year when most football fans are consumed by trade rumors and free agency moves, several other high-profile players have decided to hang up their cleats. And what's surprising is how young they are:

At 27, Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds was soon to step into the crazy world of free agency, where he was sure to be in demand by many teams. It looked like he was just about to get his huge payday. But instead, he's leaving the game.

Unlike Willis, Worilds hadn't been plagued by injuries, at least not yet. And he'd only missed one game in the past three seasons. So why did he leave? He wants to do other things, he said.

Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker, 26, announced he's also retiring after just four seasons. Another Pro Bowler who had been haunted by injuries, running back Maurice Jones-Drew, 29, called it quits in Oakland last week. He lasted nine years. Young, intelligent and charismatic, "MJD" was adored by fans until, like so many other elite players, he was slowed down by injuries.

Jones-Drew, whom I worked with a lot when he was starting out in the league, is a smart and personable guy. It was clear when I met him that he was talented enough to succeed at anything he pursued.

"Football has been a central part of my life for the past 24 years," Jones-Drew wrote when announcing his retirement on Twitter. "But now I'm excited about and looking forward to the next chapter of my life."

Who knows, maybe MJD is the next Michael Strahan? That former New York Giant's successful exit from football has inspired so many younger players. Strahan's path has empowered others to value themselves beyond football. Every season, I get calls from NFLers who want my help finding a career after football. "How do I do what Mike did; that's what I want to do," they say.

Once dubbed the "sack master," Strahan has transformed himself into such a daytime TV media darling you would think he was born to co-host ABC's "Live With Kelly & Michael." But even he had to decide when to quit the game before it got the best of him. It took 15 years. I will never forget how hobbled Strahan looked one early morning when an ESPN crew showed up at his door to do a "day-in-life" story on his off day. Bruised and still bloody that morning, he could barely get out of bed.

Usually loquacious, he had trouble even talking because his swollen jaw was locked shut. He couldn't even brush his teeth properly. Shave? Forget it: hands too gnarly. And it was clear he had a severe migraine working his brain. There were very few laughs that day. Strahan was barely 30 then, and he looked like a defeated, old man. Now, every time I see him smiling for the cameras, I think how blessed he is to be healthy and enjoying his life after football.

So maybe there is another way out for young players who are now better informed about the dangers of the game. Just maybe all the debates about the ugly side of football -- concussions, brain injuries, depression and suicides-- have done some good, after all.

Today, a guy like Patrick Willis can walk away from the game a happy man:

"If I want to go fishing tomorrow, I'm going to go fishing. ... If I want to go home and watch my little brother play baseball, I can go to do that. ... Life is amazing right now."
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Moved it over here, sj.

Along with this article about Chris Borland on CNN ...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/17/football/ ... index.html
(CNN)—You're a 24-year-old professional football player. You signed a nearly $3 million contract with the San Francisco 49ers and banked a $600,000 bonus. You're looking real pretty after a stellar rookie season. But there's something seriously bothering you. You keep thinking, what if, one day, all those hits, those concussions, add up? Is your health really worth the risk?

Chris Borland said Tuesday night that it just wasn't, and he has chosen to retire from the NFL to avoid long-term injuries he could suffer from head injuries.

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," he told ESPN. "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk. ... I'm concerned that if you wait (until) you have symptoms, it's too late."

Borland may be the first to retire for this reason. But he's part of a shift in thinking about what repeated head injuries can do to an athlete. Reports show an increasing number of retired NFL players who have suffered concussions developed memory and cognitive issues such as dementia, Alzheimer's disease, depression and chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE.

"For me, it's wanting to be proactive," Borland said. "I'm concerned that if you wait (until) you have symptoms, it's too late. There are a lot of unknowns. I can't claim that 'X' will happen.

"I just want to live a long, healthy life, and I don't want to have any neurological diseases or die younger than I would otherwise."

Passionate reactions to his decision came quickly, with many supporting him.

Others say that while the move might be smart for Borland, and even encourage other players to speak out and stand up for their health, there will always be plenty of guys eager to replace players like him.

'Risks ... I don't want to take on'

Last August, thousands of former football players and their families reached a deal in a class-action suit that called for the NFL to cover the cost of concussion-related compensation, medical exams and medical research for retired players and their families.

The suit alleged that the NFL deliberately misled players about scientific data that the medical community had found about the risks associated with concussions. A federal judge needed to approve that. In July 2014, a federal judge granted preliminary approval to the landmark deal.

Chris Dronett was one of the plaintiffs. Her husband, former Denver Bronco Shane Dronett, committed suicide in 2009 when he was 38. After his death, scientists found evidence of CTE in his brain.

Borland named three players specifically that he said made him rethink a life in the NFL.

"I've thought about what I could accomplish in football, but for me personally, when you read about Mike Webster and Dave Duerson and Ray Easterling, you read all these stories. And to be the type of player I want to be in football, I think I'd have to take on some risks that as a person I don't want to take on," he said.

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher shot and killed his girlfriend before killing himself two years ago. Pathology reports show he likely had chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, doctors say. Scientists believe repeated head trauma can cause CTE, a progressive degenerative disease of the brain. Symptoms include depression, aggression, and disorientation, but so far scientists can only definitively diagnose it after death. Here are a few of the former athletes who have been diagnosed with CTE.

Photos: Athletes and CTE 17 photos

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher shot and killed his girlfriend before killing himself two years ago. Pathology reports show he likely had chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, doctors say. Scientists believe repeated head trauma can cause CTE, a progressive degenerative disease of the brain. Symptoms include depression, aggression, and disorientation, but so far scientists can only definitively diagnose it after death. Here are a few of the former athletes who have been diagnosed with CTE.

Hall of Famer Mike Webster was the first former NFL player to be diagnosed with CTE. After his retirement, Webster suffered from amnesia, dementia, depression, and bone and muscle pain.

The death of 36-year-old Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman Justin Strzelczyk put the link between playing football and CTE in the national spotlight. Strzelczyk was <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/15/sport ... brain.html" target="_blank">killed in 2004</a> in a car crash after a 40-mile high-speed chase with police in New York.

Evidence of CTE was found in the brain of football player Lew Carpenter after his death in 2010 at the age of 78.

Pro Football Hall of Famer Louis Creekmur, who played for the Detroit Lions from 1950 to 1959, suffered decades of cognitive decline before his death.

Linebacker John Grimsley of the Houston Oilers died of an accidental gunshot wound to the chest. Analysis of his brain tissue confirmed damage to the neurofibrillary tangles that had begun to affect his behavior and memory.

Chris Henry played five seasons for the the Cincinnati Bengals before dying at the age of 26. <a href="http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/07/02/br ... x.html">He died after falling from the bed of a moving pickup</a> during a fight with his fiancée, ending a life plagued by behavioral problems. His young age prompted concern over how quickly athletes start to suffer from CTE.

Offensive lineman Terry Long of the Pittsburgh Steelers commited suicide by drinking antifreeze. Although the antifreeze caused swelling of the brain, football-related brain injuries were a contributing factor to his death.

Pro Football Hall of Famer John Mackey suffered from dementia for years before dying at the age of 69.

Ollie Matson played 14 NFL seasons starting in the 1950s and suffered from dementia until his death in 2011.

Tom McHale of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, right, died in 2008 <a href="http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/26/at ... x.html">of an apparent drug overdose</a> at the age of 45.

Junior Seau <a href="http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/health/se ... ease">took his own life</a> in 2012 at the age of 43. The question of CTE came up immediately after his death; scientists at the National Institutes of Health confirmed the diagnosis in January 2013.

Wrestler Chris Benoit was found dead at his suburban Atlanta home along with his wife, Nancy, and son in an apparent murder-suicide. Later testing found that the damage to his brain was similar to that of an elderly Alzheimer's patient.
Reggie Fleming, who played for six NHL teams, mainly in the 1960s, was the first hockey player to be diagnosed with CTE.

Hockey player Bob Probert was found to have CTE after suffering from heart failure at the age of 45.

<a href="http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/15/health/ba ... ide/">Ryan Freel </a>became the first MLB player to be diagnosed with CTE nearly a year after he committed suicide at age 36.

Webster had a career with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Kansas City Chiefs that spanned from 1974 to 1990. He was the first former NFL player to be diagnosed with CTE. After he retired, he was diagnosed with amnesia, dementia, depression, and bone and muscle pain.

Duerson killed himself with a gunshot to the chest. He had sent a text to his family asking that his brain be sent to Boston University School of Medicine, which was researching CTE. BU neurologists confirmed the NFL veteran had the disease.

Easterling, who played eight seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, committed suicide in 2012. He apparently suffered dementia. An autopsy revealed he had CTE.

Some on social media said that Borland's decision made them think about former NFL linebacker Junior Seau. He was 43 when he was found dead with a gunshot wound to the chest. Friends and family members say multiple concussions were to blame for the suicide, but an initial autopsy report found no apparent brain damage.

Portions of Seau's brain were sent to the National Institutes of Health, which found "abnormalities ... that are consistent with a form" of CTE.

The NFL has reported that in 2013, 228 concussions were diagnosed from practices and games. At least 261 were diagnosed the previous year, the league said.

And complaints keep coming. In July of last year, ex-NFL players Christian Ballard and Gregory Westbrooks filed suit against the NFL Players Association, alleging the union withheld information about head injuries.

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Thanks, WCJ, I think this might actually be the thread I was looking for all along; I only checked the other forum thinking it was more of an NFL thing.

The lower salaries of the CFL might be a good thing in the long run for players' well-being if it motivates them to get out of the game earlier and onto the next chapter of their lives that might be just as if not more lucrative. But examples have also begun to mount in our league with several of the Esks's dynasty players dying young.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.