Tour Canadian Football HoF via Virtual Museum of Canada

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which west division championship trophy looks the best? (see below)

Hugo Ross Trophy (1912-1947)
No votes
N.J. "Piffles" Taylor Trophy (1948 - 2003)
No votes
The current half-maple leaf Division Championship trophy (2004 - Present)
100%

Total votes: 2
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Have you been to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame museum in Hamilton yet? If not, you can check out the museum virtually courtesy of the Virtual Museum of Canada which provides virtual exhibits of all of Canada's museums: http://www.museevirtuel-virtualmuseum.ca/

And the Canadian Football Hall of Fame is certainly included:
http://www.museevirtuel-virtualmuseum.c ... hibit_home

In light of the recent discussions about Canadian University football, then some of the pictures in the gallery will be appealing to you as it contains several pictures related to CIS/CIAU and the Vanier Cup in addition to old CFL and Grey Cup pics.

I'll comment on pictures that caught my eye.

A 1913 picture showing the Yates Cup won by McGill

1912 Grey Cup (4th) at the Hamilton AAA Grounds

1923 Grey Cup winners - Queen's University

The very first Grey Cup winners in 1909 - University of Toronto Varsity Blues

The 1950 Mud Bowl

The 1962 Fog Bowl

Since a few of you are UBC alumni, are any guys in the 1928 picture your great-grandfather? :wink:
And are you proud the boys for winning the Vanier Cup in 1997? :beer:

Not the first time I've seen a picture of the 1964 Grey Cup winning BC Lions, but the first time I've seen two members who were superimposed into the team picture.

http://www.museevirtuel-virtualmuseum.c ... x=00000785
Obviously you've seen the locker room presentation celebration after the 1994 Grey Cup win, but I've never seen this particular picture and I cannot pinpoint who the players are.
Can you name the five players from left to right?

Hugo Ross trophy, which is presented to the winner of the WIFU from 1911 to 1948

I've always been trying to find a picture of the first trophy that was awarded to the winners from the west. Finally! :yahoo: :cool:
Since the Lions entered the league in 1954, they never had the opportunity to win this trophy.

---------------------------

And now.....saving the best for last on what you can say and what you probably know is the most obsessed trophy that I always try to find and post. :tease: :twisted:

The N.J. "Piffles" Taylor trophy, awarded to the west division champions from 1948 to 2003
The Lions won this trophy seven times before it was retired. :beauty:

But with all due respect to this trophy, after looking very carefully at the base of the trophy, I can understand why it was retired eventually.

The reason is because the inscription is simply inaccurate! :shock:

WESTERN INTER-PROVINCIAL RUGBY UNION CHAMPIONSHIP

So according to my avatar, aside from all the trophies and awards that he has already won as a football player, Damon Allen is also a rugby champion. :rotf:
Last edited by Robbie on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Self-admittedly as I stated above that I am obsessed with this trophy, I found another close up.
piffles.png
With the close cup I can finally see the actual inscription on the centre pillar of that trophy:

N.J. 'PIFFLES' Taylor MEMORIAL TROPHY

Maybe I'll have a talk with Curator Meghan Sturgeon Archer to see how much money the museum is willing to sell that trophy to me. And if it's within my budget, I'll ask Damon Allen or anyone else who has hoisted that trophy to send a donation to me. :rotf:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:57 pm
Hugo Ross trophy, which is presented to the winner of the WIFU from 1911 to 1948
I didn't know until now that it was named after Winnipeg real estate broker, Hugo Ross, who donated the championship trophy to the Western Canada Rugby Football Union (WCRFU). And I also didn't know that he passed away at the age of 36 as a Titanic victim. https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/t ... -ross.html

---------------------
Closeup of the James S. Dixon Trophy, also know as the Eastern Cup, given to the east division champions from 1912 to 2003. Like many older trophies, it had references to rugby as the inscription reads:

Inter-Provincial RUGBY FOOTBALL UNION CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY Presented by James S. Dixon HAMILTON, ONT 1912
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

If you've ever wondered what the inscription is on the cup of the Grey Cup, then here are two closeups. It shows:

PRESENTED BY His Excellency Earl Grey FOR THE AMATEUR RUGBY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP OF CANADA

While the trophy has changed a few times, specifically by adding a larger bowl most recently in 1987, the inscription hasn't changed and references to amateur rugby is still mentioned. With all these updates, then maybe the inscription can be upgraded as well. Obviously, the CFL are NOT composed of amateur rugby teams and players but rather, professional American football teams and players.
祝你龍年行大運。