Why did so many Lions fans give Roy Dewalt a hard time?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I remember Joe Pao Pao going deep to Harry Holt. IMO Joe had a strong arm. Not as strong as Jarious Jackson however. Roy Dewalt seemed to have a strong arm too.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:Dewalt came to the Lions from University of Texas at Arlington as a running quarterback. A turf toe injury hampered his ability to scramble and he became a drop back quarterback. Fans started booing him because he was unable to run out of trouble and was getting sacked. When he lead the Lions to the Grey Cup, fans had a change of heart and begged him to stay. At the Grey Cup party there were signs by fans saying they were sorry for the booing and begged him to resign.
I thought Dewalt came to the Lions from the Calgary Stampeders.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Dewalt came to the Lions from University of Texas at Arlington as a running quarterback. A turf toe injury hampered his ability to scramble and he became a drop back quarterback. Fans started booing him because he was unable to run out of trouble and was getting sacked. When he lead the Lions to the Grey Cup, fans had a change of heart and begged him to stay. At the Grey Cup party there were signs by fans saying they were sorry for the booing and begged him to resign.
I thought Dewalt came to the Lions from the Calgary Stampeders.
Joe Kapp
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Dewalt came to the Lions from University of Texas at Arlington as a running quarterback.
I see that Roy's wikipedia entry has him having gone to Texas at Arlington but I'm not sure that's correct. In my memory I had him coming from Texas A&I, which as I understand it, is now part of the Texas A&M system.

According to wiki, it was known as the Texas College of Arts and Industries and changed it's name to Texas A&I University in 1967 and remained that way until becoming Texas A&M Kingsville in 1993. So it certainly would have been Texas A&I at the time Roy attended. However, Texas-Arlington goes back to 1967 as well (it had previously been part of the A&M system) so who knows.

Anybody have a better recollection of this?
I see from the From The Archives thread that the old article in the Vancouver Sun refers to Roy Dewalt as having run the option at Texas-Arlington, so I stand corrected. Faulty memory....again!