Mitchell 2-gamed suspended for dirty play

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

xon100
Starter

Blue In BC wrote:
xon100 wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:[Two separate issues like that have to be at least a concern. Mitchell appealing the suspension suggests he feels he has done no wrong. That just bad for the league.
Or maybe he just thinks that 2 games is too big of a penalty? Considering Cohon has only ever suspended 3 players, the rest have had their sentences commuted to fines. Almost every player appeals a suspension, the fact that he is really doesnt suggest how he feels at all.
If that wasn't worth a 2 game suspension then what would be. Do you have to beat a player on the sidelines with your helmet during the national anthem. There are many people suggesting the suspension is not long enough. Doesn't the bad press for the player, the team and the league just suggest he should just take what the league has decided. The CFL is not a court system so I don't know I think players should even be allowed to appeal the decision. He should be allowed to discuss this during the meeting with the league but once the decision is reached, that should be it.

The only argument I can offer is the comparison to the NFL where players have been suspended for the season for having a " bounty " on players.

IMO the length of the season is not the issue in regard to the % of games being suspended. The action involved, intent etc must all be considered in each instance. To think there is nothing any player could do to not warrant more than 1 game because it's only an 18 game season doesn't make sense to me.
In the past one game suspensions were given for worse things. I am not condoning the actions of Mitchell in anyway but I do believe the action was done in the heat of the moment and not a premeditated action.

One thing we can agree on is that this process is taking far too long. The league should have come down with its decision on Sunday or Monday. Mitchell can appeal and the appeal should be heard before the game on Friday.
Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I get the sense that not a lot of people on this site have played football at a high level, and therefore it is difficult to judge others when you haven't walked a mile in their shoes...what happened was unfortunate, but lest we forget, if Mitchell isn't being held on basically EVERY DOWN THIS SEASON with only about 2 holding penalties called THIS EVENT DOESN'T HAPPEN...

Khalif Mitchell is NOT a dirty football player, he simply reacted to a ridiculous situation after 4 games of the refs doing NOTHING about it...if the law won't come to you, sometimes you have to become the law...if the CFL feels bad about this play, then they should clean up their officiating act...

And for those LIon fans that are still riding Mitchell for this play, again, go back and watch the replays of the entire game, focusing on Mitchell, and then you will get a taste of how he was feeling and maybe why he did it...until then BACK OFF...the officiating is significantly responsible for this play occurring, and so are the Lion's coaches for NOT standing up for their player...

Mitchell reacted poorly, but REACT HE MUST...he had to something...a lot of his salary is on bonuses, and if he gets held on every down, what chance does he have to wow anyone and make an all star team??? You have to consider these things before reacting...

2 games is ridiculous...but it is what it is and now we move on...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Khalif Mitchell was and STILL IS one of my favourite players on the Lions...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
donefron
Starter

notahomer wrote:
Leothelion wrote:I think anybody that thinks he knows Mitchell intent is just fooling themselves. my comments are true. i guess the truth hurts too much to some of you people. what i can not understand how you all can call yourselves lions fans yet criticize the team and its players. Real team fans support their team through thick and thin and don't jump to conclusions. Mark my words. Mitchell suspension will be reduced and maybe to nothing.
leo

Oh great, the 'real fan' comment. Well, I guess you are right. I a real CFL fan and the Lions are my favourite team. But if you KNOW I am not a real fan, I guess I better stop renewing the season tickets I've had for years. I get letters from the club thanking me for my support. I guess I'll keep my BC LIons tickets because it means a heck of a lot more to me that they think I'm a "REAL FAN" than you do....

I don't claim to to know Mitchell's intent. I do find the behaviour disgusting. Doug Brown's perspective helps a bit, I like what he had to say. I still think Mitchell deserves a suspension and I'm going to happily cheer Mitchell on once this is behind him regardless of his appeal. I don't hate Mitchell, I hate what he did......
I do know Mitchells intent as I have spoken to him personally on the matter. he was trying to clear the player to the side to break an illegal hold he told me it was not his intention to hurt & accidental that his arm got hung up. On 1040 after the game he even said as much but that hasnt been reported in any venue. He said it was unfortunate & that he prayed for the safety of the player also that there was a ref within feet of the play that made no call & felt no infraction had been made.On the issue of a 2 game suspension this would be the longest supension that Cohon has given out in his entire 7 year tenure so basically we are saying the worst thing anyone has done in the cfl in 7 years (anyone remember Jason Jiminez career?) sure it may have been dangerous (Rottier was just put on the 1 game list today by the way expected back after that thankfully) but not as callous as some want to make it out to be.this is a good man & a good player a bad incident sure but the rabid killer people are trying to paint him to be. and if you dont believe I have spoken to him read the managing mitchell article at theprovince.com online that is me speaking with him with my daughter on my shoulders same pic is in @FifthQuarter Lowell Ulrichs blog
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

of course mitchell is going to try to explain it in a way that favours him as much as possible. I call him a liar.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Canuck fans came out of every crack in the woodwork to defend bertuzzi, until he was gone, then most changed their tune.

Funny how that works.

To most lion fans, JJ was only a bad guy AFTER he left.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

donefron wrote:
notahomer wrote:
Leothelion wrote:I think anybody that thinks he knows Mitchell intent is just fooling themselves. my comments are true. i guess the truth hurts too much to some of you people. what i can not understand how you all can call yourselves lions fans yet criticize the team and its players. Real team fans support their team through thick and thin and don't jump to conclusions. Mark my words. Mitchell suspension will be reduced and maybe to nothing.
leo

Oh great, the 'real fan' comment. Well, I guess you are right. I a real CFL fan and the Lions are my favourite team. But if you KNOW I am not a real fan, I guess I better stop renewing the season tickets I've had for years. I get letters from the club thanking me for my support. I guess I'll keep my BC LIons tickets because it means a heck of a lot more to me that they think I'm a "REAL FAN" than you do....

I don't claim to to know Mitchell's intent. I do find the behaviour disgusting. Doug Brown's perspective helps a bit, I like what he had to say. I still think Mitchell deserves a suspension and I'm going to happily cheer Mitchell on once this is behind him regardless of his appeal. I don't hate Mitchell, I hate what he did......
I do know Mitchells intent as I have spoken to him personally on the matter. he was trying to clear the player to the side to break an illegal hold he told me it was not his intention to hurt & accidental that his arm got hung up. On 1040 after the game he even said as much but that hasnt been reported in any venue. He said it was unfortunate & that he prayed for the safety of the player also that there was a ref within feet of the play that made no call & felt no infraction had been made.On the issue of a 2 game suspension this would be the longest supension that Cohon has given out in his entire 7 year tenure so basically we are saying the worst thing anyone has done in the cfl in 7 years (anyone remember Jason Jiminez career?) sure it may have been dangerous (Rottier was just put on the 1 game list today by the way expected back after that thankfully) but not as callous as some want to make it out to be.this is a good man & a good player a bad incident sure but the rabid killer people are trying to paint him to be. and if you dont believe I have spoken to him read the managing mitchell article at theprovince.com online that is me speaking with him with my daughter on my shoulders same pic is in @FifthQuarter Lowell Ulrichs blog
I'm not questioning whether he intended to do it and/or you chatted with him. I HATE comments about 'real fans'. You didn't make that comment either, unless you also post as Leothelion. I'm trying to be objective. Its easy to say as a Lions fan (I didn't say REAL Lions fan) he's innocent. I don't think he is. I think he deserves a short suspension. I like a lot about Mitchell the player/person. I don't think I stop being a fan of either Mitchell's or the BC Lions when I say 'in this particular case, I feel a player I respect on my favourite CFL team deserves a suspension'. And I look forward to the CFL holding other players accountable for other things I'm sure will happen.

I agree he seems (based on what I have seen/heard of him in the media) to be a player I am glad is pulling on a Lions jersey. This is common in some areas. I am able to seperate the behaviour and the person. I want the behaviour stopped, regardless of who does it.

Its like politics. No question in my opinion, Gordon Campbell should have stepped down when he was stopped for driving under the influence. He didn't. Then many people who thought Gordon was okay once he'd 'aplogized' were FURIOUS that Constance Barnes also was caught driving under the influence. I think she had a good precedent when her defenders said "look the Premier did this too". As I am stating, it is the behaviour....(drinking and driving) as oppossed to the person (Campbell vs Barnes). I can take off my political glasses and say both were wrong, IMO. I also am doing that on this issue.
Bobbyp
Champion

MexicoLionFan wrote:I get the sense that not a lot of people on this site have played football at a high level, and therefore it is difficult to judge others when you haven't walked a mile in their shoes...what happened was unfortunate, but lest we forget, if Mitchell isn't being held on basically EVERY DOWN THIS SEASON with only about 2 holding penalties called THIS EVENT DOESN'T HAPPEN...

Khalif Mitchell is NOT a dirty football player, he simply reacted to a ridiculous situation after 4 games of the refs doing NOTHING about it...if the law won't come to you, sometimes you have to become the law...if the CFL feels bad about this play, then they should clean up their officiating act...

And for those LIon fans that are still riding Mitchell for this play, again, go back and watch the replays of the entire game, focusing on Mitchell, and then you will get a taste of how he was feeling and maybe why he did it...until then BACK OFF...the officiating is significantly responsible for this play occurring, and so are the Lion's coaches for NOT standing up for their player...

Mitchell reacted poorly, but REACT HE MUST...he had to something...a lot of his salary is on bonuses, and if he gets held on every down, what chance does he have to wow anyone and make an all star team??? You have to consider these things before reacting...

2 games is ridiculous...but it is what it is and now we move on...
What he said
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

donefron wrote: I do know Mitchells intent as I have spoken to him personally on the matter. he was trying to clear the player to the side to break an illegal hold he told me it was not his intention to hurt & accidental that his arm got hung up. On 1040 after the game he even said as much but that hasnt been reported in any venue. He said it was unfortunate & that he prayed for the safety of the player also that there was a ref within feet of the play that made no call & felt no infraction had been made.On the issue of a 2 game suspension this would be the longest supension that Cohon has given out in his entire 7 year tenure so basically we are saying the worst thing anyone has done in the cfl in 7 years (anyone remember Jason Jiminez career?) sure it may have been dangerous (Rottier was just put on the 1 game list today by the way expected back after that thankfully) but not as callous as some want to make it out to be.this is a good man & a good player a bad incident sure but the rabid killer people are trying to paint him to be. and if you dont believe I have spoken to him read the managing mitchell article at theprovince.com online that is me speaking with him with my daughter on my shoulders same pic is in @FifthQuarter Lowell Ulrichs blog
I do believe it is possible that Mitchell was trying to throw Rottier to the side. Possible. An arm and hand are stuck to his chest. He tries to throw the guy. Possible. If Mitchell put his right hand in Rottier's chest, moved his own left hand to Rottier's shoulder, and then pulled him to the left, it might have thrown Rottier without endangering Rottier's arm. Split second stuff, to make an adjustment. In the heat of battle. It seems to me it is possible that is what Mitchell intended, not to rip his arm off. Possible. Who can read the intent in a person's mind with certainty?

As a fan, I support Khalif Mitchell. Only he knows in his heart and mind what his intent was at that moment. The hearing will make a decision and we go on from there. As Khalif Mitchell's career goes on, we will form a more sure impression of whether or not he is a "dirty" player. And of course there have been dirty players. As of now, I am not prepared to put Khalif Mitchell in that category.

If the suspension stands, so be it. I do think Dunigan and Schultz threw Mitchell to the wolves without even considering whether he truly did not intend to injure Rottier. The fact it was caught on TV and condemned by media guys like Dunigan and Schultz I believe contributed to the length of the suspension. Not the first time stuff like that has happened in a football game. Up to this time, Khalif Mitchell has been considered a fierce competitor, but not dirty, and without intent to injure players. Did that suddenly change?

Football is not a game of golf, or even a game of baseball. It is usually very violent and dangerous out there.

And I am not condoning the dangerous action of Khalif Mitchell. I am keeping an open mind as to his intent. As to the danger of the act, and the vulnerability of his opponent, I hope Mitchell learns from this. Players have to be aware when an opponent is particularly vulnerable, and act accordingly.
Hall of Famer Matt Dunigan, a member of CFL royalty, indignantly tweeted that Mitchell should have been suspended “for three or four games,” although retired Blue Bomber and probable future Hall of Famer Doug Brown suggested that some of the fault should lie with Rottier for placing his arm where it wasn’t supposed to be.
“I watched the play. I can make two conclusions. But I don’t have to make the decision,” Buono said. “I’m not the judge and jury. But I’ve got to respect the due process. Whether I want to condone him or praise him, it’s not relevant at this time. What’s relevant is that the facts be stated.”
Asked whether he considered Mitchell’s action a flagrant violation of the rules and a flaunting of acceptable behaviour, Buono responded, “No more than a guy who gets a clipping penalty, no more than a guy who gets a holding penalty. This is a reaction in the spur of the moment. This is not intent. In a game, the majority of those are reactionary.”
Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/E ... z21gf5DET6

I repeat to all bloggers. Respect other bloggers. State your own opinion.
donefron
Starter

I used that quote because Leo spoke of his intent dont remember actually addresing you other than that so sorry if I painted you incorrectly was just speaking to comment of intent & as for chatting with him he is a friend & we have spent many times together off the field talking about football & it is usually me that he comes to talk to after a game down front in sec 246. as for the real fan thing that might have been overboard on Leo's part but it is annoying that a lot of 'real fans' have gone overboard in their condemnation of the man. I am simply defending the man not so much the act but his explanation of why he brought down his arm is that Rottier grabbed him s he threw him thus bringing him off balance & he tried to correct himself so as not to be brought down with him which if you understand body mechanics & momentum does make some sense. http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/07/24 ... l-message/ heres the pic of My Daughter & me with Khalif with the Province was very cool cause he came over to give me & mine a big bear hug cause he had read my comments on Twitter defending him & appreciated that I was a friend to him when others werent remeber he came back to this team because of the treatment of him by the fans & the team & the connection he felt here even though Miami was gonna give him alot more $ to be down there
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I see. It's all the ref's fault. Just remember that if some player does something horrible to one of the Lions players and a suspension is needed.

BTW: For the record, I don't want to see any player injured, do something so stupid that it warrants an ejection.

I know it happens but the less it happens the better off everybody will be.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

donefron wrote:...so sorry if I painted you incorrectly was just speaking [b]to comment of intent[/b]

...as for the real fan thing that might have been overboard on Leo's part but it is annoying that a lot of 'real fans' have gone overboard in their condemnation of the man. I am simply defending the man not so much the act but [b]his explanation of why he brought down his arm [/b]is that Rottier grabbed him s he threw him thus bringing him off balance & he tried to correct himself so as not to be brought down with him which [b]if you understand body mechanics & momentum does make some sense.[/b] http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/07/24 ... l-message/ heres the pic of My Daughter & me with Khalif with the Province ...
... he came back to this team because of the treatment of him by the fans & the team & the connection he felt here even though Miami was gonna give him alot more $ to be down there
(BTW- I edit for space only, I did READ the entire post)
I fully admit Khalif is the only person who knows his intent and I accept he's shared it with you. Intent doesn't really matter to me, though.

The 'real fan' comment is a hot button for me. I have spent thousands of $$$ on season tickets (as have many others). Even so, I don't think that makes me a 'real fan'. I don't think anyone gets to decide who a 'real fan' is. I do know the BC Lions think I am a 'real fan'. I don't know why some fans can't express their feelings without being labelled 'not a real fan'. Its like politics and religion. Why am I somehow challenging your view on things just because I see things differently? People are allowed in this day/age to say/express things others don't agree with (including I guess 'you are not a real fan' :cool: ). One shouldn't need everyone to agree in order to feel happy with one's view on things.

Khalif's explanation (and Doug Brown's/Rob Murphy's) have improved my view. I still think I need to take some responsibility if I injure somebody, even if I didn't mean to.

Glad you got a pic with Khalif and your daughter. I never would have challenged you that you hadn't spoken with him or had a photo taken. I'm glad you've had a chance to get to know one of your favourite Lions. For me it has been James Yurichuk. I spoke to him once at practice. Another time right after the Lions won the Grey CUp and he climbed up into the stands and again at the recent Season Ticket Holder event. I think there are lots of Lions fans who have their 'favourites' who are not necessarily players who usually get in the spotlight.

I agree with you on the returning to the CFL thing. I respect him a lot for that and the reasons he gave to the media for choosing to do so. I truly believe, in my opinion, donefron, you and I agree on much more about Khalif than we disagree. IMO, even if he didn't mean to, he deserves some responsiblity. Regardless, once issue is settled next month, I'm going back to cheering him on like it never happened. And I'm going to cheer him on during the games before his appeal too. Enjoy the game Saturday........
donefron
Starter

notahomer wrote:
donefron wrote:...so sorry if I painted you incorrectly was just speaking [b]to comment of intent[/b]

...as for the real fan thing that might have been overboard on Leo's part but it is annoying that a lot of 'real fans' have gone overboard in their condemnation of the man. I am simply defending the man not so much the act but [b]his explanation of why he brought down his arm [/b]is that Rottier grabbed him s he threw him thus bringing him off balance & he tried to correct himself so as not to be brought down with him which [b]if you understand body mechanics & momentum does make some sense.[/b] http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/07/24 ... l-message/ heres the pic of My Daughter & me with Khalif with the Province ...
... he came back to this team because of the treatment of him by the fans & the team & the connection he felt here even though Miami was gonna give him alot more $ to be down there
(BTW- I edit for space only, I did READ the entire post)
I fully admit Khalif is the only person who knows his intent and I accept he's shared it with you. Intent doesn't really matter to me, though.

The 'real fan' comment is a hot button for me. I have spent thousands of $$$ on season tickets (as have many others). Even so, I don't think that makes me a 'real fan'. I don't think anyone gets to decide who a 'real fan' is. I do know the BC Lions think I am a 'real fan'. I don't know why some fans can't express their feelings without being labelled 'not a real fan'. Its like politics and religion. Why am I somehow challenging your view on things just because I see things differently? People are allowed in this day/age to say/express things others don't agree with (including I guess 'you are not a real fan' :cool: ). One shouldn't need everyone to agree in order to feel happy with one's view on things.

Khalif's explanation (and Doug Brown's/Rob Murphy's) have improved my view. I still think I need to take some responsibility if I injure somebody, even if I didn't mean to.

Glad you got a pic with Khalif and your daughter. I never would have challenged you that you hadn't spoken with him or had a photo taken. I'm glad you've had a chance to get to know one of your favourite Lions. For me it has been James Yurichuk. I spoke to him once at practice. Another time right after the Lions won the Grey CUp and he climbed up into the stands and again at the recent Season Ticket Holder event. I think there are lots of Lions fans who have their 'favourites' who are not necessarily players who usually get in the spotlight.

I agree with you on the returning to the CFL thing. I respect him a lot for that and the reasons he gave to the media for choosing to do so. I truly believe, in my opinion, donefron, you and I agree on much more about Khalif than we disagree. IMO, even if he didn't mean to, he deserves some responsiblity. Regardless, once issue is settled next month, I'm going back to cheering him on like it never happened. And I'm going to cheer him on during the games before his appeal too. Enjoy the game Saturday........
enjoyed your read & again wasnt trying to say anything about your opinion or status as a REAL FAN cause that is apparent I only chose to qoute your addition because of what Leo had said & every one seeming to know what he was thinking well he told me what he was thinking & that is good enough for me. Intent is part of the problem because most are painting it as him intending to injure Rottier purposely believe me if he wanted that arm Rottier would have one less of them today as KM is gigantic LOL J/K. Im 6'3" & 310 & he makes me look like a dwarf . but my real problem is the depiction of the man as some monster that needs to be chased thru the village with burning pitchforks when this was not near as bad an incident as has been portayed the player (Rottier) forgave him & will thankfully miss only 1 game because of it but some of these fans want KM expelled from the league permanently if not for the entire season & the largest amount of hate seems to be coming from our friends in the excited state of Riderville even tho it was not their player involved. probly something to do with their prophet Schultzy giving his condemnation as well as the heated rivalry between the two teams. Even if he deserved a suspension of some sort for arguments sake why should it be twice as long as the injured man be out let alone the longest suspension given out by the league in over 7 years. me thinks that a lot of this is a little politically motivated to save face because it was caught hi profile on TSN. Bad things happen but a little perspective is needed and a classy individual is being painted quite the oppositely sure he hasnt helped self any with the media but they also like to pick & choose the quotes or pieces of quote that they will use. As for the refs yes they do need to shoulder some of the responsibilty as it is their job alone to maintain some sense of order out their & if they can not they need better traing or better resources to do so what if nothing else are they out their for but to control the game in a fair & just way for players on both sides of the ball
notahomer
Hall of Famer

donefron wrote:
...the largest amount of hate seems to be coming from our friends in the excited state of Riderville even tho it was not their player involved.
It's never surprising that other teams fans will want different levels of justice depending on who their favourite team is. Its kind of why I chose 'notahomer' as my handle here. I actually had another handle and forgot the password (eastvanfan). I thought 'notahomer' summed up my attitude. I often admit, IMO, a play seemed to be called correctly when friends wearing orange coloured glasses choose to see things differently. I still have a Lions bias, I just think it is a little less so than many of my Lions fan peers. There are some on Riderfans (and Esksfans) who I feel are reasonable. For e.g. I was quite angry with the whole AJ Gass scenario back in the day. The whole process made no sense to me but thats me. I know fans of other teams also are able to seperate how they will obviously bias towards their team and be consistent about things for the most part....

I'm looking forward to the day this is forgotten about in the day to day. I certainly am glad you have gotten to build a relationship with a favourite BC Lion who also sounds like he's an amazing human being too! Enjoy the game versus the Stamps. I'm going to do so too!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I can't believe they can't have more than one arbitrator and get this done.

This is not a good thing to have fans debating this over and over. It does perplex me that he can play the next two games and that is the up side for the players. Clearly they are wanting to get it to one game. It will matter to an arbitrator what precedents have been set and there is a good chance it might get down to 1 game. On the other hand the player seemingly is satisfied with what he did and sees nothing bad. Not smart and clearly doesn't square with the tape.

While the process doesn't lend itself to the Lions management condemning the play it also is perplexing as they weren't silent when Jimenez went for Brent Johnson from behind.

Trestman had it right when his guy did the stupid dirty play earlier this year - and that issue then was forgotten.

It is not good that this is going on too long and I don't think it serves the Lions well to have this player in continuing denial. The camera angle is pretty clear that he knew what he was doing to that arm. These guys that stay in denial tend to go to be repeat offenders.

The Lions can hide behind the appeal process but their kind of silence vs what Trestman said speaks volumes for their condoning of the play/player.

Glen Suitor's write up on the Emry play:
The game in Calgary also had the first illegal late hit on a quarterback that immediately went to the league office for review. When Calgary quarterback Drew Tate fell on a loose ball and surrendered, he was slammed hard by linebacker Shea Emry. Als' head coach Mc Trestman said after the game, and I'm paraphrasing, it was an inappropriate hit and should not be part of the game. It is fair to say that most would agree witarh that assessment, and the league should rule soon on what supplemental discipline will be applied.

However, it was impressive to see how Trestman handled the situation both in-game and post game. First, during the game Emry was not ejected and could have continued to play, but was pulled off the field by the Al's coaching staff for the rest of the series, something they didn't have to do, but sent the right message.

Secondly, it was refreshing to see Trestman openly and honestly, make the statement he did to the media after the game. The stock answer that is often given by coaches in that situation is, I don't want to discuss that until I talk to the player and look at the film. Trestman saw the play like the rest of us and didn't have to wait to see the film to give his honest opinion.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy