What CFL QBs are making

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

This story just appeared in the Winnipeg Free Press. They polled agents for quarterbacks around the league and compiled a list of the top earners. The league does not have salary disclosure and all numbers are approximate. Noticeably absent? Buck Pierce!

Anthony Calvillo, Montreal: $400,000 (maximum salary)

Ricky Ray, Toronto: $400,000 (maximum salary)

Henry Burris, Hamilton: $300,000 (maximum salary)

Darian Durant, Saskatchewan: $300,000 (maximum salary)

Drew Tate, Calgary: $300,000 (maximum salary) ($200,000 base)

Steven Jyles, Edmonton: $250,000 (maximum salary) ($125,000 base, $75,000 signing bonus)

Travis Lulay, B.C.: $250,000 (maximum salary)

You have to think that Wally will be offering Travis a pay raise at or close to the top level earners when he returns Monday from his Hawaiian vacation.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

In the case of Jyles, the $75,000 signing bonus was paid by the Argos, so the Esks are only on the hook for $125,000, plus a maximum $50,000 in performance bonuses.

The numbers have come out because Buck Pierce's agent thinks his client is getting a raw deal with the Bombers, who have reportedly offered him a base salary of less than $150,000, with a maximum of around $300,000.

Tight with a Buck: Bombers offering No. 1 QB paltry base salary
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

$250k was about right for Travis before the season started. Suitable pay for a starting CFL QB.

He is deserving of more now of course. Possibly $400k.

Too bad about the Bombers lowballing Buck. IMO ya gotta pay a starting CFL QB around at least $200k. In some ways you can understand their position, but on the other hand, they signed Buck and brought him to Winnipeg. They made it to the Grey Cup with him. This seems like penny pinching to me, and it would not send a good message to the rest of the team.

The Bombers rolled the dice on Buck when Wally cut him loose. This is the position the Bombers should have expected when they signed him. Balancing the injury record vs rewarding your starting QB. And IMO they are mishandling it.

I would guess that Buck should be paid about $200k, with bonuses on top. Either that, or cut him loose.

If Tate makes good, he will deserve a pay raise too.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lulay is due for a big pay raise as league MVP and Grey Cup MVP
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Lulay is due for a big pay raise as league MVP and Grey Cup MVP
Maybe, maybe not. He's still a 1st year full time starter. Add more in incentives bonuses perhaps but giving a young QB big monmey guaranteed is not necessarily the best approach.

How is he worth AC or R Ray money just yet?

Bomber still have some work to do with Pierce in the re-negotiation. Hard to tell what's really going on but a big base salary is a risk for an offense that was as anemic as the Bombers. Not all of that was Pierce's fault and how much is really a question only the HC and GM can determine.

OTOH, it's not fair to low ball him either. Give him a decent base salary and incentives for games played ( which is a key question with him staying healthy ) and a bunch of performance bonuses that allow him to make a lot more.

He did rank nearly last in all QB performance ratings so jusifying him a big base is something that has not really been earned yet.
Bosco
Team Captain

The only salary number that jumps out at me is Drew Tate's estimated $300,000 figure. Tate has the least starting experience of the listed group and unless his contract is incentive laden, I'm surprised that it's as high as is listed.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I spent a lot of time reading the Bombers press last season and watched most of Buck's games last year and if IIRC this was the guy that excited their fan base and who was key to help filling their city and stadium with excitement and fans in seats!

As noted it might be misleading both the salaries and the Buck negotiations at this point but it seems strange the way they characterize the negotiations for the guy the agent deals with not having the power to make a deal.

I have not been a fan of some of the stuff Buck's agent has said in the public domain but they know their business better than I. Is he trying to get the fans riled up - might not work like it does in the USA maybe as most fans earn near the QB money so it is hard to feel sorry for a CFL QB.

I'd like to see the CFL game improve to where the non-star players and assistant coaches earn more than they apparently do. It is a tough game with a short career for most players and assistant coaches with no longevity to speak of. They don't need to make NHL hockey money.

I like this fan's comments on the story:

The Bear
12:05 PM on 1/14/2012

There is the bomber organization at work again, finally a contender and there trying to cut corners again.buck did everything he was asked to do and even more,and the bombers don't want to pay him,maybe they should get an offensive line so he doesn't get hurt.as a matter of fact all the bombers got is a defense,that worth keeping so pay the defense double and let them play both ways,it couldn't hurt.

This other fan makes an interesting point. Don't agree that Calgary would be able to take Buck on but I still can't figure out why the Esks GM thinks Steven Jyles can do it as he has not yet ever done enough to be thought of a top starter. Or are these teams looking to their back ups to bail them out. Montreal is one bad knock on AC from having to get a new future starter. We fans don't know the behind the scenes grapevine that surely exists out there in a league where assistants and players are so intricately connected which no doubt factored into the deals with Burris to Hamilton. I am not talking about rule breaking but just who someone can get info from as to thinking of teams as there is always loose lips in every league with the grapevine working behind the scenes. A good example was when Bomber coach Richard Harris passed away and how players and coaches came forward to relate their phone calls with him and IIRC the calls were all in the last week or so of his life. There is chatter behind the scenes I suspect just like in the Vancouver business community where the rumour mill is ahead of the announced events such as people moving jobs.

So would the Esks be in play and waiting for a cheaper starter? Would the Riders want some to push Durant - that I can't see beyond their back ups.

j knox

11:46 AM on 1/14/2012

I'm not so sure that I'd describe the QB situation in the CFL as "settled". This is the CFL afterall (no disrespect or denigration intended here), which is the league that is the most QB driven.

I would suggest that Edmonton, Saskatchewan and Calgary (in that order of precedence) would be very interested in Buck. It's my not so humble opinion that Pierce would be a significant upgrade for each of them.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
joe kapp22
Legend

No Buck?

Read WPG is lowballing him
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

my take on wpg is that there is not much difference in production between Buck and the other 2. All other things remaining constant, wpg could do alright with Brinks and Elliot. That may be their bargaining chip.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
joe kapp22
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:my take on wpg is that there is not much difference in production between Buck and the other 2. All other things remaining constant, wpg could do alright with Brinks and Elliot. That may be their bargaining chip.
To me, the Argos should make a run at one of those 3 Qb's, but doubt that will happen.

Buck is such a leader, would love to see him go someplace like Montreal.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:my take on wpg is that there is not much difference in production between Buck and the other 2. All other things remaining constant, wpg could do alright with Brinks and Elliot. That may be their bargaining chip.
The other Winnipeg QB's ( if they can re-sign them ) only have about 6 starts between and 1 win. They showed some promise but Pierce has more years in the CFL and about 40 starts. I'd cringe going into the season without Pierce.

The real question in Winnipeg is how much of the offensive issues were on the shoulders of Pierce. There were all sorts of problems with talent on the OL and play calling seemed to be very poor. Receivers had injury problems, 1st year players and 2nd year players starting. None of those issues help any QB generate an offense.

Pierce seemed to take too long to get rid of the ball but who can blame him with these other factors.

Having said that, he's not the QB that can win the game on his own shoulders like ( D Flutie for example ). He needed a better supporting cast. However, it's a grey area on which situations caused which on offense.

The general concencous is that the Bombers need to improve many areas on offense. If they do, then we'll see what Pierce can achieve with a better supporting cast.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:
The other Winnipeg QB's ( if they can re-sign them ) only have about 6 starts between and 1 win. They showed some promise but Pierce has more years in the CFL and about 40 starts. I'd cringe going into the season without Pierce.

The real question in Winnipeg is how much of the offensive issues were on the shoulders of Pierce. There were all sorts of problems with talent on the OL and play calling seemed to be very poor. Receivers had injury problems, 1st year players and 2nd year players starting. None of those issues help any QB generate an offense.

Pierce seemed to take too long to get rid of the ball but who can blame him with these other factors.

Having said that, he's not the QB that can win the game on his own shoulders like ( D Flutie for example ). He needed a better supporting cast. However, it's a grey area on which situations caused which on offense.

The general concencous is that the Bombers need to improve many areas on offense. If they do, then we'll see what Pierce can achieve with a better supporting cast.
which gives another possible reason for trying not to pay buck to much. Need to spend the cash on the rest of the offense. What good is a million dollar QB on a ten cent offense.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:

The general consensus is that the Bombers need to improve many areas on offense. If they do, then we'll see what Pierce can achieve with a better supporting cast.
:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

The Bomber fans think Baresi was a scape coat. After the GC loss a player was quoted as saying it was only when Buck started calling his own plays they moved the ball. The other clue that Lapo's play calling is suspect is that the GM Mack is out scouting the football world for an OC. That is usually something that the HC wants to do but in this case the HC needs convincing still that he should let that job go to someone else.

Firing Baresi was not a very smart move on Lapo's part as it blew this issue up with the act that he felt no doubt would exonerate him. It didn't.

KIA - do you want your QB to be the lowest paid QB when he got you to a GC game and helped sell out their stadium?
I am with BlueinBC that the Wpg backups are not ready to be starters based on what they shown to date.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:

The general consensus is that the Bombers need to improve many areas on offense. If they do, then we'll see what Pierce can achieve with a better supporting cast.
:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

The Bomber fans think Baresi was a scape coat. After the GC loss a player was quoted as saying it was only when Buck started calling his own plays they moved the ball. The other clue that Lapo's play calling is suspect is that the GM Mack is out scouting the football world for an OC. That is usually something that the HC wants to do but in this case the HC needs convincing still that he should let that job go to someone else.

Firing Baresi was not a very smart move on Lapo's part as it blew this issue up with the act that he felt no doubt would exonerate him. It didn't.

KIA - do you want your QB to be the lowest paid QB when he got you to a GC game and helped sell out their stadium?
I am with BlueinBC that the Wpg backups are not ready to be starters based on what they shown to date.
I wouldnt say that it was Buck that got them to the game. Lowest passer rating of all starters. Worse points for\against of the six playoff teams at zero. I would say most credit goes to the D. They won their last reg season game by one point because of 3 turnovers by montreal. They sucked offensively against ham and only won because hamilton sucked worse. So, yeah, at this point, if I am a wpg fan, I do not want to over pay buck until he earns it and I am looking forward to seeing more of elliot and brink, whose passer rating for the time he did play was slightly better than buck.