The Ricky Ray Game, June 30, 2012

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://cfl.ca/article/campbell-edmonton ... r-qb-trade

Biggest off season news so far. Another thread won't hurt. Perspective from Eskimo radio colour analyst Dave Campbell. Excerpts ...
Campbell: Edmonton's blockbuster QB trade December 13, 2011

It’s the biggest trade Eskimos fans have seen since 1992 when quarterback Tracy Ham was traded to Toronto as part of an eight-for-eight deal. The news of the trade lit up the phones lines on 630 CHED here in Edmonton, the message boards, and Twitter.

The man who pulled the trigger on the trade is general manager Eric Tillman who isn’t afraid of making a controversial deal. In 1994 as GM of the B.C. Lions, he traded Kent Austin to Toronto and gave the football to a young Danny McManus. In 2007, he traded the Most Outstanding Player and Grey Cup champion Kerry Joseph to Toronto and Darian Durant rose to stardom.
He says Argonauts general manager Jim Barker approached him close to two weeks about acquiring Ray and was relentless in his pursuit of Ray.

This deal is perhaps the biggest risk of Eric Tillman’s career. The Eskimos are coming of an outstanding season finishing 11-7 which was good for second place in the CFL West.
Blame it on Barker. That sneaky guy just would not quit in his pursuit of Ricky Ray. LOL Tillman spinning, always spinning. Apparently he had a deal to trade Ray to the TigerCats nearly completed last year. But he throws Barker in there this time, as the driving force in the trade.
Outside of B.C. Lions pivot Travis Lulay, Ray was likely the second best quarterback in the CFL last season and yes, in the same league with Anthony Calvillo. He passed for over 4,500 yards, a very respectable 24 to 11 touchdown to interception ratio, and he led the CFL in passer rating at 99.3.
I agree. Lulay #1, Ray #2, Calvillo #3.
The salary cap now plays a huge role in the Canadian Football League these days. Reality is, Ricky Ray is making $400,000, the Eskimos save $200,000 in cap space. That might be the most important aspect of this deal is Tillman has the flexibility to sign another Canadian or two. He has a quarterback who’s younger by almost three years in Steven Jyles.
IMO this is a misjudgment on Tillman's part. The odds are just so very slim that he can come close to replacing what Ricky Ray brought to the Eskimos. I would have to bet against it.
This is where the risk comes in for Tillman. Jyles has never show the consistency to be a starter in the CFL. He’s started with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the Argos in the last two seasons with limited success with both teams.

He does show tremendous upside as far as a quarterback who’s able to stretch defences with his strong arm or with his feet. Scheme wise, Tillman wants a quarterback with the mobility to keep defences guessing. Working in Jyles’ favour is he knows the offence run by offensive coordinator Marcus Crandell. They played together in Saskatchewan and Crandell coached Jyles as well.
I agree that this is the biggest gamble of Tillman's career. And at what point do GMs decide that Jyles is what he is: an athlete with a rocket arm, and little else to commend him as a QB?
The trade goes deeper than the quarterbacks. Grant Shaw who’s from Edmonton gives the Eskimos a big leg and he can do all three kicking duties, and he’s young. The 2012 Canadian College Draft is very deep and Tillman feels the chance is very good to grab a potential impact player at the number two position.
That is not much IMO for a first round Hall of Fame quarterback.
All of the above however can’t overshadow that fact that “the franchise” is no longer a member of the Eskimos. Ray spent nine seasons in Edmonton and won two Grey Cups in three appearances in his first three seasons in the Canadian Football League.
Big game quarterback. Totally unbothered by pressure.
Like it or not, here are the facts:

He’s the most accurate passer in CFL history, he has the second best passer rating of all-time in the CFL, and he sits sixth overall in that department in pro football history. Two Grey Cup titles, and holds many Eskimo records. He’s going to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, and he’ll be up on the Eskimos Wall of Honour.

"the most accurate passer in CFL history" ... Not top ten. But #1, all time.

"second best passer rating of all time in the CFL" ... All time.

"two Grey Cup titles" ... Big Game? He plays his best.
Optically, the trade right now doesn’t look good. A year from now, two years from now, who knows. This trade for the Argos is about now. For the Eskimos, it’s about having an eye to the present and to the future.
Yup. "doesn't look good" ... IMO it will continue to not look good, for Tillman, unless he comes up with an MOP calibre quarterback, or gets to the Grey Cup with a scrambler. And I would have to say the success of Kerry Joseph in Regina in 2007 is largely attributable to Kent Austin.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 24756.html

Excerpts ...
Inside the Ricky Ray deal

A look at how the trade went down

By STEVE SIMMONS, QMI Agency

TORONTO - When Eric Tillman relented in his second conversation with Jim Barker, admitting that Ricky Ray was, in fact, available, it got Barker to thinking: What’s wrong with the quarterback?

This is how general managers play their game for real. They reach beyond their means and when the other side surprisingly says yes, the instant response is suspicion.

If they want to trade Ray, what’s not right with him? Barker thought for a moment or two, discussed it with his new head coach, Scott Milanovich, and then the two spent the better part of a week researching Ray, watching film, asking questions, talking as quietly as possible to people in what management like to call due diligence.

“It’s amazing it didn’t get out,” said Barker. “But we spent the better part of a week doing our research. We want to make sure we were doing the right thing.”
The first phone call to Tillman, made less than two weeks ago, did not start with a conversation about Ray. It was the usual general manager shmooze. They talked about this. They talked about that. They threw around some possibilities. And then Barker asked the question: What about Ricky Ray?

“I’m not going to tell you what Eric said,” Barker said. “Although I’m not sure you can print it, anyhow.”
Phone call #1. Barker discovers that Ricky Ray is available.
That was phone call No. 1. By the time the call ended, Barker had a sense Ray was available. After hanging up the cell phone, he went back to dinner with his coach and asked Milanovich: What would you think if I told you I think we can get Ricky Ray? Milanovich’s answer was a big wide smile.
In phone call No. 2, the real dancing with the Edmonton Eskimos began. GM Barker made a proposal, GM Tillman countered with his. The two went back and forth with several ideas. The truth: Barker wanted to keep Steven Jyles and still make the trade. Tillman would not hear of it.

By the end of the second conversation, Barker knew he had a chance at getting Ray. Tillman seemed to be onside. The problem in Edmonton: Convincing head coach Kavis Reed that trading Ray made sense.
Phone call #2. Tillman had to convince Kavis Reed about the trade. Little voice in the head: "Kavis, don't do it." LOL
In the third conversation with Tillman, Barker wanted to pump his fist because he knew how close he was getting to the quarterback. The last time the Argos had a quarterback with these kind of credentials, they won a Grey Cup. He could feel he was getting close to a deal — and as reluctantly as Tillman may have played it, Barker knew he was on his way.
Phone call #3.
“The thing you worry about when you’re dealing with Eric is how shrewd he is,” said Barker. “He’s done this before. He’s traded Kent Austin away, traded Kerry Joseph away, in what looked to be the prime of their careers. Now he’s doing the same with Ricky Ray. A part of you wonders, what does he know that we don’t know. But when you take a step back, and see what we’re getting, and what they’re getting, I think you can understand this.”
Actually, you can’t. The Argos are getting a sure thing quarterback, one of only three in the CFL. The Eskimos are getting a high Canadian draft pick, an inexperienced kicker with a monster leg and a quarterback who looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. “Eric’s done this before,” said Barker. “And he’s always won the deal.”
I agree. I don't see what Tillman gets in the deal, even though all that he gets has been discussed all over the place. Not fair value IMO.
In all, there were five phone calls of negotiation, 10 days of text messages being exchanged, and a lot of wondering, worrying and excitement. “Once Kavis was comfortable with making the deal, we knew we were close. I just kept after them,” said Barker. “And we tweaked it, and tweaked it until we got to where we were both comfortable.
Five phone calls. 10 days of messages.
“They bailed at least twice, maybe three times on it. This was a difficult deal to make. It’s a difficult move for them, a ballsy move. It takes a lot of courage to do this.”
No doubt on Barker's part. Lots of doubt on Tillman's and Reed's part.
“When we first realized we could get Ricky Ray, and then getting him, I’m not sure what the word is. Stunned. Excited. I know Scott’s feeling great about this.
Early Christmas gift. Stunned. Excited. Well, I guess so.
“He sees Ricky the way he views Anthony Calvillo. Anthony was 32 when he started coaching him. He hit his stride in his last years. We see the same thing happening with Ricky. This is for now, and this is for the future.”
IMO Ricky Ray is far from old. Many, many miles left in the air attack. And quite a few on the ground too. He is awkward looking, but in fact, IMO, is very mobile, and able to run for yardage on broken plays. Elusive in the pocket. Takes hits and keeps on ticking.
In the end, it was about getting a quarterback for the Argos, about money for the Eskimos.

At $400,000 a year, the Eskimos deemed Ray too rich for their blood. They could have kept him, but at the expense of having little financial flexibility going forward, especially with half a roster nearing free agency a year from now.
Financially, I can see some arguments about Tillman's side of the deal. But not enough to justify it, IMO. You have to pay franchise quarterbacks a ton of money. But then you have to run a tight financial ship, the way Wally Buono has always done.

Steven Jyles is not getting paid chicken feed. If he does not meet a certain standard of play (a good possibility IMO), I would not be surprised to see him jettisoned fairly early in his Edmonton career. That is financial management.

IMO there is no way this is a step forward for the Eskimos on the field. In the accounting books, possibly.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

In Jyles defence, he's played for Winnipeg and Toronto. Two crappy teams with minimal talent at the skill positions.

With some talent around him, he might well be a serviceable CFL starter. A better situation in Edmonton for Jyles: Stamps, Bowman and Barnes out wide; Messam and McCarty in the backfield.

I smell cap move by Eric Tillman.
the-real-hugo
Rookie

What Tillman gets is a chance to win with someone who wasn't there before he was. Ego fueled this decision. Not saying the Esks can't have a good season without Ricky Ray, but ET cares more about people praising him, than the tradition that is the Edmonton Eskimos. He averages 3 years per tenure with any of the clubs he's been with. For the sake of Eskimo fans, he's half way there.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 19836.html

Terry Jones is obviously no fan of Eric Tillman. Excerpts ...
Ray trade an ego play

More about Tillman than Eskimos
By TERRY JONES, QMI Agency

CALGARY - Eric Tillman might turn out to be right.

But he's not right, right now. And right now is real important to Edmonton and the Eskimos.

Right now, there is a great deal of anger out there. And Len (The Brand Man) Rhodes, the new CEO of the Eskimos -- and a guy who knows nothing about football -- not only says he endorsed the dumb deal to trade Ricky Ray for insulting returns and $200,000 in cap space, he was actually taking credit for it Tuesday as part of his grand plan to make Eskimos football more exciting.

Two weeks into his new job, Rhodes had a big pitcher of Tillman's Kool-Aid on his table and took the big gulp.

Now his job of selling the brand just became doubly difficult. But he says he thinks it might be the opposite.

Rhodes argues that trading Ray makes the brand better, the product easier to sell.

"It means we'll have a more entertaining team. It adds an element fans haven't seen, and that makes it easier to market. I believe we're enhancing the fan experience by going with young quarterbacks who can run. I'm convinced the fan experience in 2012 is going to be greater because of that.

"It's a vision I'm going to bring. It's an exciting element of play I want to bring back.

"It's my responsibility to listen to Eric's recommendations and make these decisions," Rhodes said.
More entertaining? Hmmmm ... Dunno about that.
So, in Tillman must we trust?

Sorry.

I don't think he did the right thing for Edmonton.

There's just too much evidence to indicate this was more about the GM's ego than it was about the Eskimos. I think Tillman got caught drinking his own Kool-Aid.
Wow. Harsh words for a sports writer.
I refuse to believe that Reed would have said he wholeheartedly endorsed this deal or thought it was in the best interest of the EE in the next year or three, if Rhodes had asked him privately.

"I asked Eric and Kavis if they'd both go 100% forward with the three of us holding hands if we did this deal," said Rhodes.

That's a lot different than getting the coach to tell him he 100% endorsed it.

I believe Kavis Reed 0% endorsed the deal. Reed did walk out of the office holding hands with the man who hired him. But read his quotes and listen to his voice clips. He's an intelligent man. He chose his words well.
"This deal would never have been made if we did did not feel we had tremendous upside with (quarterbacks) Matt Nichols and Eric Ward," said Tillman.

He wants you to believe he has a Travis Lulay and a Drew Tate in these two guys?

Anybody think Steven Jyles -- the QB coming over from the Argos for Ray -- is likely to duplicate any one of Lulay's accomplishments in being voted the league's most outstanding player, all-star quarterback, Grey Cup winner and Grey Cup MVP ?
Not too likely.
Tillman could be right.Maybe one of these guys might turn out to be great -- in two or three years.

But not right now.

Right now the Eskimos, considering where they've been these last few years, don't need to go backwards again so Tillman can step out and steal the off-season stage and exercise his ego by trading a future Hall of Famer who, one day after Tillman has moved on (he always moves on), will be asked to come back to put his name and number up on the Eskimos Wall of Fame.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wow that writer is a bit harsh.

This is a gamble big time but if history repeats itself it will make the Eskimos more competitive by upgrading Canadian talent and in other positions.

If there was a move afoot to give the Argos a boost I doubt it would be the Eskimos. Braley owns BC and could easily have done something there even last year by making Barker take Jarius Jackson over Cleo Lemon. Not likely any conspiracy here.

The time to judge this trade is when the games are for real.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It’s the biggest trade Eskimos fans have seen since 1992 when quarterback Tracy Ham was traded to Toronto as part of an eight-for-eight deal. The news of the trade lit up the phones lines on 630 CHED here in Edmonton, the message boards, and Twitter.

The man who pulled the trigger on the trade is general manager Eric Tillman who isn’t afraid of making a controversial deal. In 1994 as GM of the B.C. Lions, he traded Kent Austin to Toronto and gave the football to a young Danny McManus. In 2007, he traded the Most Outstanding Player and Grey Cup champion Kerry Joseph to Toronto and Darian Durant rose to stardom.
Campbell's history is a bit off. Austin and McManus were big parts of the Lions' Gery Cup championship in 1994 and took turns filling in for each other during the team's miraculous playoff run. Austin was traded to Toronto in April 1995.

According to a Province article in October 1995, Eric Tilman's comments about economics of trading Austin and his $450,000 salary were the opposite of his comments this week on the Ray trade:
Lions general manager Eric Tillman vehemently denied suggestions the decision to go with McManus this season, and trade Kent Austin to Toronto, was based on economics.

"You'd have to think we were stupid to do that,'' said Tillman.

Tillman admitted the club is close to the league's salary cap, but said if Lions were to go over the cap, the amount is such that "it wouldn't be a fineable expense.''
Luke
All Star

B.C.FAN wrote:

Campbell's history is a bit off. Austin and McManus were big parts of the Lions' Gery Cup championship in 1994 and took turns filling in for each other during the team's miraculous playoff run. Austin was traded to Toronto in April 1995.

According to a Province article in October 1995, Eric Tilman's comments about economics of trading Austin and his $450,000 salary were the opposite of his comments this week on the Ray trade:
Lions general manager Eric Tillman vehemently denied suggestions the decision to go with McManus this season, and trade Kent Austin to Toronto, was based on economics.

Tillman admitted the club is close to the league's salary cap, but said if Lions were to go over the cap, the amount is such that "it wouldn't be a fineable expense.''
Yeah. And after that season, or maybe even before it started, we had Tillman leave, Bill Comrie sell the team to an idiot, and Danny McManus leave for Edmonton to join Ron Lancaster. :bang: Thank god those days are over.

Sorry, that was a little off topic.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Brilliant info WCJ...thank you so much...I tend to agree with the Barker sentiment...what gives??? Tillman is no idiot and he has been here before, and has NOT lost...so again, we will have to wait and see if he is proven right or wrong...and as one sided as this deal appears on the surface, remember this, most of the Edmonton team becomes free agents within 2 years...Ray's salary simply would have meant another merry go round in Edmonton...Tillman will now have the ability to keep the nucleus of this team together...and it's a talented crew...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Brilliant info WCJ...thank you so much...I tend to agree with the Barker sentiment...what gives??? Tillman is no idiot and he has been here before, and has NOT lost...so again, we will have to wait and see if he is proven right or wrong...and as one sided as this deal appears on the surface, remember this, most of the Edmonton team becomes free agents within 2 years...Ray's salary simply would have meant another merry go round in Edmonton...Tillman will now have the ability to keep the nucleus of this team together...and it's a talented crew...
You're welcome, MLF. Interesting all the bits and pieces we pick up nowadays through the various media. Makes the CFL very interesting indeed.

Tillman's track record is obviously pretty good. Dunno though. I just can't help but feel that he way overstretched this time. Ricky Ray is quite a bit beyond Kent Austin, Danny McManus and Kerry Joseph, IMO. And I do not believe for a minute that the Eskimos' PR players can step up and give the Schmos all those passing yards, or even QB rushing yards. Plus there is just so much evidence that Jyles has not risen to the challenge in many opportunities so far.

As much as I cast doubt on Tillman's Big Gamble, I obviously like it as a Lions' fan, getting rid of a top level Hall of Fame "aircraft carrier" in the Western Division.

We will see ... But my money is on eventual, and of course present, disappointment in Tillman's Folly.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/12/12/t ... -esks-reed

Con Griwkowsky, of the Edmonton Sun, quotes Kavis Reed ...
"Obviously, it's a very difficult decision as a coach. It's losing a major part of your leadership core."
"losing a major part of your leadership core"
As much as Reed initially balked at the trade, he's a practical enough man to know he now has to play the hand he's been dealt.
I am sure he balked. And he does now have to play the hand he's been dealt.
"I'm not going to be Nostradamus and predict we're going to be a better football team," said Reed. "I believe the pieces that we're getting will, probably in the long term, make us a better football team. I believe the intention is for us to be better in the future."
"not going to be Nostradamus and predict we're going to be a better football team"

Not much confidence expressed there.

"I believe the pieces that we're getting will, probably in the long term, make us a better football team."

"believe" ... "probably" ... "long term" ... Again, no confidence expressed.

"I believe the intention is for us to be better in the future."

"intention" ... "to be better" ... That is a very, very modest goal. LOL Somewhere far away, "in the future." When they find another "aircraft carrier."
Reed fully understands the implications the deal has and the emotional attachment Eskimos fans had with the long-term face of this franchise.

"This decision, obviously, is a very delicate one," said Reed. "It was an very tough football call. From a human perspective, extremely tough. Beyond words."

"I lost sleep a couple of nights thinking this might be a possibility."
"I lost sleep a couple of nights thinking this might be a possibility."

If you are losing sleep over a decision, I cannot help but think that Kavis would never, in a hundred years, have made this decision on his own, or even countenanced it, in different circumstances. It is Tillman's deal.
ziggy
Legend

Here's a tsn article on Jyles contract. I don't see a huge savings?

The Toronto Argonauts signed quarterback Steven Jyles to a two-year deal with an option for a third.

The contract could pay him up to $250,000 per season and includes $75,000 up front.

He was eligible to become a free agent in February.

"It's exciting for me to sign this contract and extend my time here," Jyles said in a statement. "As a team, I feel like we have unfinished business to take care of. We have a lot of talent, offensively, in this club and I believe that if we work together and find our chemistry then, together, we will win games."

Jyles was acquired last season from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers to challenge Cleo Lemon for the starting job.

However, he suffered a shoulder injury before the season started and did not return until midway through the season.

In eight games this season, he threw for over 1,400 yards with seven touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

He will make 75,000 up front on a deal that that could pay him up to $250K per season.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:

This is quite humorous, BCFAN. Thanks for the info.
LOL ... Hmmmm, and what would you say, Eric, about the present deal? Would one be stupid to make that trade, based on economics?

Tillman is always so much into spin mode, one has to examine his words closely to attempt to get near to his real intentions and meaning.

And now he is saying the present deal is about economics. When, it seems to me, it is anything but. I do not see such a big salary saving since Jyles makes a big ticket too. My best guess about his real intentions, is to make his own, personal mark on the Eskimos' franchise. With Ricky Ray around, it would always be Ricky's franchise.

Sure, sure, there is the rationale about "Ricky is not that young anymore." "Ricky did not bring us a Grey Cup since 2005." "Ricky can be replaced with a more dynamic, running style, athletic quarterback." "If we want to challenge for the Cup, we have to make this change." "We get to build our Canadian talent." (With one extra pick, and an unproven kicker? Dunno about that.) "Our guys on the Practice Roster can step in give us what Ricky gave us." (Ummmm, not likely.) "Steven Jyles can give us a more dynamic attack." (Not likely with that scattershot, rocket arm.)

So what have we got, for possible rationales, and not necessarily taking Eric at his word ...

Young talent on the PR, just busting to get out on the field, and make their way to the Hall of Fame. Hmmmm ... Nope.

A top level, proven replacement in Steven Jyles. Ummmm ... Nope.

A huge turnover in our NI talent base. Hmmmmm ... Nope.

An improved team next year. Nope. In the next few years. Maybe, but that would not necessarily have required the trading of Ricky Ray.

A savings in salary expenses. Maybe. Jyles ain't cheap either.

A team reflecting Eric Tillman's vision, with his stamp on it. Ummmm ... Yeah.

Just IMO, and I actually do think Tillman has had a remarkable career, building franchises. This is about the Ricky Ray trade, a trade which I obviously think was poorly considered and carried out.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

An improved team next year. Nope. In the next few years. Maybe, but that would not necessarily have required the trading of Ricky Ray.

A savings in salary expenses. Maybe. Jyles ain't cheap either.

A team reflecting Eric Tillman's vision, with his stamp on it. Ummmm ... Yeah.

Just IMO, and I actually do think Tillman has had a remarkable career, building franchises. This is about the Ricky Ray trade, a trade which I obviously think was poorly considered and carried out.
The only point Tillman has is that they have a host of free agents coming up after next season and they need all the cap room they can get. This deal gives them over $200k in cap room with which to operate. That's not small potatoes. Ray already took one pay cut before last season and it likely would have been difficult justifying asking him to take another one.

It doesn't excuse the poor return on the deal, they could have and should have gotten help on the defensive or offensive lines and/or the secondary, but he is responsible for managing the cap ramifications of the franchise for longer than one year. Let's not pretend that EE doesn't have some significant roster deficiencies that need to be addressed.

It's not all about ego. (Certainly some, but not all).

About Tillman, remarkable is not the term I'd use to describe his tenure in Ottawa. He has his fair share of blind spots, loyalty to bad coaching being chief among them.
ziggy
Legend

Assuming the previously posted salary of 400k for Ray this year is correct and Jyles makes 250k then I'd say the savings is only 150k. On top of that if Joseph is also on the payroll as an emergency backup and not making rookie coin you need to subtract that from the 150k. Gets you pretty close to 100k that only results in a fine and face it Edmonton is a wealthy club and Tillman as a former Rider GM wouldn't have a problem going over the cap. I don't believe its a money issue.