Alouettes @ Lions Game Day Thread 20111105

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Game 18.

Calvillo vs Lulay.

Simon vs Richardson.

McCallum vs Whyte.

The Lions have shown much of the right stuff since about Game 8.

Hopefully it will continue.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Montreal in recent years have not played well at BC Place. Hopefully the jet lag, late start and short week all add up to a Lions win.
LFITQ
Team Captain

I'm just hoping for a big crowd to send the boys into the playoffs. It is possible that this could be the last time the boys play in front off the home fans until Grey Cup if they don't win. The energy in the building will play an important role tonight in determining the outcome.

Football has to be the only sport where a fan can have an actual affect on the outcome. Other sports it is more psyche, but in football it is real and easily apparent.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Bosco
Team Captain

With the the loss of Als offensive tackle, Josh Bourque, look for Aaron Hunt and Khalif Mitchell to be licking their chops at the prospect of adding to their sack totals. If the Lions D can get Calvillo off his game by making him scramble and vacate the pocket, this should help limit AC's passing yards. :cheer:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:I'm just hoping for a big crowd to send the boys into the playoffs. It is possible that this could be the last time the boys play in front off the home fans until Grey Cup if they don't win. The energy in the building will play an important role tonight in determining the outcome.

Football has to be the only sport where a fan can have an actual affect on the outcome. Other sports it is more psyche, but in football it is real and easily apparent.
Agreed. That's why on another thread earlier in the weeks I suggested the Lions should paper the place to bring in a huge crowd. Not out of desperation that they can't sell tickets, but simply because bums in seats give the home teams an extra weapon to use against their opponent. Whatever they might have lost from ticket sales would be more than offset by hosting the WDF.

The WDF could be worth an extra $2M in revenue (average $40 x 50,000), so giving away $400,000 worth of free tickets in exchange for a few time count violations and making it harder for AC to audible seems like a good investment. Especially since most of those freebies would never have been sold in the first place.
David
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:I'm just hoping for a big crowd to send the boys into the playoffs. It is possible that this could be the last time the boys play in front off the home fans until Grey Cup if they don't win. The energy in the building will play an important role tonight in determining the outcome.

Attendance in this market is hard to gauge. 50K for the opener likely exceeded expectations, but the last two underwhelmed - for different reasons. Interestingly, this is what NEWS1130 tweeted on Thursday:
News1130Sports News1130 Sports
by CFL_News
Lions averaging 36, 831 fans in 3 games at B.C Place. Tickets are on pace for that number on Sat vs MONT.
I believe (Sports Director) Rick Dhaliwal gets these scoops from David Braley (because no one else has reported this). Cautionary word however, in that similar tweets in the past have been overly optimistic and in the Vancouver Sun's piece on Skulsky on Thursday, he was hedging, "Skulsky believes Saturday’s crowd will be 30,000-plus."

Just a guess, but high 31K or low 32K seems about right to me. Cool sunny morning out here on the Coast. That should help!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
joe kapp22
Legend

Stoked for the game, about to get the party favors to enjoy this one.

:beer:
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Another bonus ; Rod Black is doing the Calgary game. That normally would not be of note except that it seems Rick Ball has turned to the dark side, so no syncing up with the radio broadcast tonight, unless it's CJAD and Rick Moffat's call.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:Another bonus ; Rod Black is doing the Calgary game. That normally would not be of note except that it seems Rick Ball has turned to the dark side, so no syncing up with the radio broadcast tonight, unless it's CJAD and Rick Moffat's call.
I actually though Scott Rintoul was much improved last week. In my opinion Ball is still by far the best CFL pxp guy on the air today, but the young Rintoul showed massive improvement. In his first game he sounded like he couldn't keep up, last week he sounded in control and on top of the action.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

God I'm already tired of cheering for crappy back-up QBs hoping they will help the Lions out. Go Travis and BC!!!! Destiny is in your own hands. Just too bad it means helping out a reeling Bombers team.
MikeAK
All Star

SammyGreene wrote:God I'm already tired of cheering for crappy back-up QBs hoping they will help the Lions out. Go Travis and BC!!!! Destiny is in your own hands. Just too bad it means helping out a reeling Bombers team.
You read my mind. Wpg looks terrible and isn't helping either.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It looks like the Lions can't rely on getting any help. First-place will on the line for both teams tonight but the Lions would fall to third with a loss. That sets up an intense battle.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

MikeAK wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:God I'm already tired of cheering for crappy back-up QBs hoping they will help the Lions out. Go Travis and BC!!!! Destiny is in your own hands. Just too bad it means helping out a reeling Bombers team.
You read my mind. Wpg looks terrible and isn't helping either.
Well the upside for me if we win the East for Winnipeg is it will force Montreal to play 2 playoff games so hopefully they will be a bit more beat up if they make it to the Grey Cup. Plus I still can't help but cheer for Buck, so maybe a bye week will let him get back in time for the EDF.
LFITQ
Team Captain

At leat we don't need the help of these qb's. Destiny is still in our own hands, thankfully. But where is swaggerville? All the talk this year and when it counts they have folded their tents. When you have a backup QB in there the d has to step up and make a stop. The bomber's d is not even coming close to that yet.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??