first place, good or bad?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I have been thinking that this worst to first thing might not be such a good thing. Danger being that there may be a sense of the job being done now. I think the players would maintain stronger focus if they were to be second place, or even third.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Bosco
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:I have been thinking that this worst to first thing might not be such a good thing. Danger being that there may be a sense of the job being done now. I think the players would maintain stronger focus if they were to be second place, or even third.
I vote that 1st place is ALWAYS a good thing.

I would far rather have a bye to rest & recooperate - especially given the Lions current injury situation - and win one home game to get you into the Grey Cup. Sure, it didn't quite work out in 2005 and 2007, but IMO, I'll take my chances with the bye. :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I have been thinking that this worst to first thing might not be such a good thing. Danger being that there may be a sense of the job being done now. I think the players would maintain stronger focus if they were to be second place, or even third.

I would far rather have a bye to rest & recooperate - especially given the Lions current injury situation - and win one home game to get you into the Grey Cup. Sure, it didn't quite work out in 2005 and 2007, but IMO, I'll take my chances with the bye. :thup:
X2 especially with the rash of current injuries.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have come too far to squander this opportunity to clinch. Having to go through two cold Prairie cities to get to the final game of the season is a hard road.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The problem is there may be no chance at 2nd by kickoff tomorrow night, only 1st or 3rd like in 1991, and two road games in Alberta are not the best recipe for a championship. Yeah, there was 1994 but that run was a piece of magic we may never witness again.

First place or bust. :helmet:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:

Thirded. This team really needs the week to heal.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

First place.

You always go for the win.

To me, it is similar to a coach's philosophy. Some coaches do not want to give too much praise to athletes as they feel that will make them complacent.

I see that differently. To me, if they have earned it, they deserve the praise. And yes, as a coach, you then have to guard against over-confidence or complacency. But that is a better position to be in, than having to deal with losses, or lack of confidence.

So, IMO, you aim for first place. Dealing with complacency or over-confidence is the price you pay for a lot of victories. Not a bad price to pay, IMO.
The_Pauser
Legend

Sorry, but I just can't see how logically you could suggest that second or third place would be better than first. With the Grey Cup being in Vancouver, the only motivation players will need is knowing that we are 1 home win away from hosting the Grey Cup. That in itself should be enough for the boys to get it done!
Roar you Lions roar!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

A little off of thread topic.... Montreal is getting a big break, IMO, by playing their last game here. Good chance they'll be the Eastern Champ (34%?) and if so the Grey Cup will be their second trip to BC PLace. I know its not that big a deal but still Edmonton and Calgary have gotten their first trips to BC Place out of the way. They know what to expect, the new screen etc... Now Montreal gets the same too. Be kinda nice if Ticats or Bombers get to the Grey Cup because this stadium will be just another adjustment for opponents who haven't been here yet..., IMO.

On the actual thread topic. First for sure. Worry about the others later but hopefully won't have to....
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

As a team you have to want to finish first. I think for the 2011 Lions finishing first is very, very, important to the players an coaches. Not just for the rest and hosting the WDF, but to validate the team. At 1-6 they felt they were as good or better than anyone. 10 games later you have 5 teams at 10-7 and yes indeed they are as good as anyone, and better than a few. Winning the division shows everyone that they were indeed the best in the west.

Now, the reality is the team with the bye does not always end up waltzing to the Grey Cup. Plenty of 2nd and 3rd place teams have represented their conference at the big dance. But I like our chances a whole lot better if we get an extra week to heal up, then play one game at home for the right to go to the Grey Cup.
LFITQ
Team Captain

No brainier. Go for first. Sometimes if u have finished 3rd just getting to the Western Final feels like a success. That can lead to complacency and an "oh well" attitude for the western final. You forget what it took to get this stage.

Once you finish 1st u get the bye, but you also have the motivation in the final to not let the opportunity slide by. You have to stay hungry, you still have to prove that you didn't finish first by fluke - particularly true for this Lions squad and the way they started the season.

Add to that the issue over injuries where we are at right now, and the bye week looks even more important.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The way Tate looks so far today, the Lions will need a win just to avoid 3rd place and to earn a date to host the Stamps in 2 weeks.
MikeAK
All Star

Belize City Lion wrote:The way Tate looks so far today, the Lions will need a win just to avoid 3rd place and to earn a date to host the Stamps in 2 weeks.
Agreed... wpg better wake up before it gets away from them.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MikeAK wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:The way Tate looks so far today, the Lions will need a win just to avoid 3rd place and to earn a date to host the Stamps in 2 weeks.
Already too late it seems, 17-0. Yup, it's looking like all or nothing for us tonight.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MikeAK
All Star

sj-roc wrote:
MikeAK wrote:
Already too late it seems, 17-0. Yup, it's looking like all or nothing for us tonight.
Yeah... I think this may be a good thing though. Not too take anything away from the Lions but this just gives the Leo's even more urgency in their game tonight. Like one of the fellow posters mentioned earlier, 2 games in Alberta is a long road to the GC. They would be doing themselves a great service by being on top at the end of the 4th qtr tonight.