Grey Cup Half Time Show ??

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Drake.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I know it ain't happening this year and probably never will but I wouldn't mind seeing Cuff the Duke get the honour one of these years. They played the Electric Owl on Main last night — a great show from a Canadian act, for under $20 to boot.
[youtube][/youtube]
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Big Time
Champion

My guess would be Hedley. New album comes out this week which means they are on a big promotional push, they are reasonably big in Canada, they were part of the Olympics closing ceremony and their music is the kind of Canadian mainstream rock that goes over well with a crowd. Oh and they are based in Vancouver.

And for what it's worth, I'm a big fan. Their last two albums have been excellent.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Ian Busby of the Calgary Sun, it'll be Sloan. The official announcement is supposed to be made Friday.
Big Time
Champion

If Sloan is the case, then that's a huge disappointment. That band hasn't been relevant in ten years. That's almost as bad as the year they had Theory of a Deadman.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Sloan? Ugh. I couldn't stand them when they were "big" in the late 1990s. A bunch of guys with Oasis haircuts who Much Music just couldn't get enough of, even though their music sucked.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

but at least no one will complain about missing Sloan because the beer line was too long :beer:
MikeAK
All Star

Sloan!? Jesus H... No disrespect to those who might be fans but this is a major disappointment for me. I know it's just the half time show but it's still GC and I'm sure they could have done better than this.

Major let down if confirmed.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I guess Trooper and Loverboy were already booked to play Studebakers that night.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:I guess Trooper and Loverboy were already booked to play Studebakers that night.
Along with Prism and Chilliwack .... LOL.

Man, how lame can they get. Has the budget for this suddenly dried up after a nice run of bigger stars??? This was apparently Bruce Allen's baby as he could apparently pull the necessary strings to bring in a big act. Too bad his string was apparently about an inch long. I was thinking Adams or Nickelback who have yet to do a Grey Cup and have a new album being released on Nov. 21.
The fact there is no big press conference in Vancouver to make the announcement but rather at halftime on a TSN telecast suggests that it's nothing more than an afterthought as far as the organizers are concerned.
MikeAK
All Star

Yeah, looks like it. They've done such a great job with respects to organizing and marketing for the whole weekend but I feel they really dropped the ball on this one.

...Sloan!? :bang:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:I guess Trooper and Loverboy were already booked to play Studebakers that night.
Along with Prism and Chilliwack .... LOL.

Man, how lame can they get. Has the budget for this suddenly dried up after a nice run of bigger stars??? This was apparently Bruce Allen's baby as he could apparently pull the necessary strings to bring in a big act. Too bad his string was apparently about an inch long. I was thinking Adams or Nickelback who have yet to do a Grey Cup and have a new album being released on Nov. 21.
The fact there is no big press conference in Vancouver to make the announcement but rather at halftime on a TSN telecast suggests that it's nothing more than an afterthought as far as the organizers are concerned.
If Nickelback was to do a Grey Cup they should wait for it to be played on the prairies. Too many people in Vancouver love to hate Nickelback. It would be embarrassing if you hear a chorus of boos when the half time act came out.

I actually don't mind old nostalgic Canadian bands for Grey Cup. I thought Bachman-Turner rocked. Neil Young would be cool. Or Rush. The Hip. In fact I could probably go along with Trooper, Loverboy, Streetheart, Kim Mitchell, etc. just for fun. But Sloan brings nothing. They are not relevant now and they were never that good back then. They have no nostalgic value either. :thdn:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The love/hate thing for Nickelback isn't a BC only thing. They are booked to play halftime for the Packers vs Lions Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit this year. There's a big fuss going on about it. People in Detroit are upset that a Canadian rock band is playing instead of a Motown type act.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Never heard of Sloan. Can they be any worse than the Black Eyed Peas ?? I was at the stadium and because of the poor acoustics can't make out a word they were singing.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

looking at a list of half time shows on wikipedia, there have been some real dogs throughout the years. Dan Hill, Jack Semple (home town boy in Regina, but still... yawn), Luba, Love Inc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gr ... rformances