Roof debate - open or closed?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which roof option would you prefer if temps are at or above 10 degrees - open or closed?

Open
66%
Closed
34%

Total votes: 35
David
Team Captain

Looks like the dome will be closed on Saturday night regardless of the weather. Skulsky said there were a few complaints (from chilly patrons) and that they'll keep the lid on from here on in. PAVCO wanted to show it off.

Seems daft to me to spend all that money on a new roof if it's only going to be retractable 4-5 games a year. I don't think it's so much a case of people demanding it be closed, it's that no one was told in advance what to prepare for. The complaints were from fans that were not dressed for an open roof game. All pictures and videos prior to the game showed a closed-roof stadium (to preserve the surprise, one assumes). Dumb.

So....assuming there's no threat of rain and the temperatures are 10 degrees or higher at kick-off, which would you prefer - an open roof or closed roof?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Excellent debate topic, David! In the past, we've talked about whether indoor or outdoor stadiums are better. Now...we get to choose! :wink:

With no rain and mild temperatures, then open roof.

As an aside issue, whose decision is it to open or close the roof for games? The team or the league? I would assume the team during the regular season, and the league for the playoffs. That was the case for Rogers Center and the Toronto Blue Jays, who decides during the regular season for any playoffs, the league decides.

According to this article: http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca ... lumbiaHome
If it rains the roof cannot be closed (if it was open) and rain suddenly hits. So to be safe I'd rather have it closed if there's any small possibility of rain.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I did hear rumblings of a few complaints about it being colder than folks were dressed for. I would tend to leave it open but did find myself pondering the thought of open/closed thinking about Grey Cup. People have to adjust to the fact it is or can be an open air building and dress accordingly. On the other hand it's almost dark now at kickoff time so other than allowing the fresh air in there's not a whole lot to be gained by having it open. There may also be value in PAVCO having it closed with 35000+ in attendance. They may have things they need to find out about air flow, temperature, etc with a relatively full house so they can test air conditioning and other aspects. Better to get a handle on those things now instead of waiting until possibly Grey Cup to try things out.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
LFITQ
Team Captain

I still like the dome and the indoor feel but always have and know that David and I are at "polar" opposites on this issue. As such, keep it closed.
But as I am coming down for this game, I would like to see the roof in action... :wink: so maybe open it for a bit and then close it. LOL

One thing I would wonder about is if it is closed, how does that impact the noise of the fans? Or is the roof designed in such a way that the noise will escape in any regards?

Now allowing the noise to escape could be a positive or negative thing. On Defence it is negative as we all know to let the noise escape. But from all accounts, the general Vancouver sports/events fan still doesn't understand how noise impacts and affects a football game, so on Offense it may be a good thing to have the roof open to limit the effect of noise.

So open on O and closed on D. Best of both worlds for all involved. :roar:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnHenry wrote::popcorn: The roof should be kept open through September, unless it rains. At this time of year and through winter, I think most fans would prefer a dry, warm environment to watch the game and eat their popcorn...in their shirtsleeves, not a parka?

The retractable roof benefits Lion's fans the most. I don't think the Boat Show or U2 concerts will want an open roof? Football fans complained about the hot, stagnant atmosphere in the old building during the summer months, which hurt Lions attendance...and now we have a retractable-dome! Lions fans should be very thankful. :beer:
According to Tom Mayenecht after U2's most recent 2 year tour roofs are OK for arenas but for stadium sized facilities they will in future only consider open air or retractable with the roof open. They don't want to perform in large enclosed stadiums such as old BC Place, Metrodome, Louisiana Superdome etc. They apparently had too many glitches, hiccups and acoustics problems in domes on the last tour. Rogers Arena, OK. BC Place with roof open, OK. BC Place with roof closed, no concert.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
woody
Champion

This time of year i would prefer closed.Only because i think it would make it a little brighter inside and better for taking pictures.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wally didn't say this is what he wants now but I am with him on the old BC Place.

The home team advantage was the heat and noise. Keep the roof closed. Make it a tougher place to play. Remember both teams play on the same nice turf in nice conditions. You need something homey that gives your team an advantage - even if just slight and psychological.

In the days of 19000 fans there when it came to late in the game crucial times the Lions needed noise - the fans delivered. I used to try and tell my absent friends that if the game is good the empty seats became less of an issue.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:I did hear rumblings of a few complaints about it being colder than folks were dressed for.
What do these people expect ? It's October if they hadn't noticed.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I know it seems like we paid a half-billion dollars for a roof with a hole in the middle but the point of a retractable roof is to be able to have it open when it's warm and dry and closed when it's cold and wet. I was chilly last game and would be chillier if it were cold and damp outside and inside. I keep the doors and windows of my house closed on bad-weather days. The stadium roof should be treated the same way. I don't want to have to dress for the weather in a domed stadium and I don't want to have to watch players slip on the wet turf and drop the wet ball when the push of a button can guarantee good playing conditions.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I've got some swedish blood in the family line so, IMO, it just doesn't get cold in Vancouver. Really, I'm not going to notice much because the football game and the replay screen have my focus. I was there when the roof got opened last Friday (many attendees were stuck in beer/hotdog lines apparently) and I noticed a change in airflow. I liked it. Not huge but I think its like any environment, crack a window and you let 'stale' air out. I do hope the CFL and/or BC Place lets fans know if the roof will be open/closed for the Grey Cup game. Due to the date, I'd be very surprised if its open but maybe all the fans flying out here want to see an outdoor Grey Cup with no rain in the stands........
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:I don't want to have to dress for the weather in a domed stadium and I don't want have to watch players slip on the wet turf and drop the wet ball when the push of a button can guarantee good playing conditions.
I don't think anyone is advocating keeping the roof open in the pouring rain when we have a retractable option. That would be silly. But when I can enjoy a game and feel the occasional fresh breeze on my face, I don't mind wearing a jacket or sweater. Football has and always will be an outdoor game to me. Still, it's nice that this new roof can keep everyone dry when the weather really turns - I just don't think we're there yet.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I know it seems like we paid a half-billion dollars for a roof with a hole in the middle but the point of a retractable roof is to be able to have it open when it's warm and dry and closed when it's cold and wet. I was chilly last game and would be chillier if it were cold and damp outside and inside. I keep the doors and windows of my house closed on bad-weather days. The stadium roof should be treated the same way. I don't want to have to dress for the weather in a domed stadium and I don't want to have to watch players slip on the wet turf and drop the wet ball when the push of a button can guarantee good playing conditions.
Why give the crowd a reason to stay home. Let them enjoy the comfort of the stadium. I like feeling on the warmer side than the cooler side when sitting and not moving. Then after the game I am not freezing my butt off or wet and feel ok to go grab some eats or a drink. I know the season moved to earlier starts but I have some horrid memories of cold games in Empire both for the Lions and SFU.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

It was quite pleasant with the roof open last game, I really wish they would open it.

How people don't have the common sense to bring a jacket to the stadium with them in October, I have no idea. Or maybe some people just don't think to actually put the jacket on? Either way, hopefully the air quality with the roof shut will be just as good.
Roar you Lions roar!