2011 Grey Cup money grab

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dieter
Rookie

Last night at 9Pm you could pre-book Grey Cup tickets.

Season ticket holders get first crack, which I understand.

Everyone else can put a $50 non refundable deposit on each seat you want as of last night at 9pm through December 1st. (prices as already discussed from $153 to $430 I believe)

After Dec 1 you get a call to select your seats. But they don't guarantee what seats are available. So if you only want or can afford seats from $153 to $240 and all that is left is $450 you are out of luck.

Your $50 per seat is non refundable and forfeited.

Seems like a money grab to me.

Why not just put tix on sale for season ticket holders for a couple days first, then the public.

Thanks but no thanks. If I'm putting down a $50 deposit I would like to know what Im buying

Okay, edited my post. I paid it. But I'm not happy about it :thdn:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

From the Lions' website and season ticket holder mailout, Grey Cup ticket prices range from $100 to $295 for season ticket holders and $125 to $375 for all others, not including "HST and applicable charges," whatever that means. I tempted to buy eight this year.
ziggy
Legend

I also found it a little ridiculous, you are taking a great leap of faith as to what seats you might get and what the final tally is going to be. There has to be a better way, maybe wait for ST holders or at least offer to return the deposit once the available seats are known, if you aren't interested. I booked but was thinking of waiting rather than tieing up the deposit money for a year for god only knows what.
Passaglia
All Star

May not be a bad idea to book now if you really want tickets and are not a STH. I did this exact same pre-sale deal for Calgary last year and ended up sitting half way up on the goal line, not bad at all.. I seem to recall the Stamps season ticket holders snappin up all the more expensive seats right away and all the cheaper ones being the last to be sold which seemed odd.
Dieter
Rookie

Passaglia wrote:May not be a bad idea to book now if you really want tickets and are not a STH. I did this exact same pre-sale deal for Calgary last year and ended up sitting half way up on the goal line, not bad at all.. I seem to recall the Stamps season ticket holders snappin up all the more expensive seats right away and all the cheaper ones being the last to be sold which seemed odd.
When I talked to the Lions office today that is basically what I was told is the case for Vancouver as well. The girl on the phone told me everything between the 5 yard lines in the lower bowl is pretty much gone already. So being forced to take one of the higher priced tickets or forfeit a deposit isn't likely to be an issue
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

They're not selling specific seats. You're buying a ticket in a category. Seat assignment comes later.
Dieter
Rookie

Canuck_4_Life wrote:They're not selling specific seats. You're buying a ticket in a category. Seat assignment comes later.
No you are not buying a ticket in a category. You are agreeing to buy in a ticket in one of 4 different categories/price ranges. And when they call in May if the price category is not to your liking you lose your deposit.

Just not all that consumer friendly imo
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Okay then. I stand corrected.

I mis-read the email while I was in Edmonton. Excuse me, I was drunk.
SJ46
Starter

I put down a deposit for the Grey Cup in Toronto in 2007 and ended up with good seats when the seat allocation was done. As I recall there was still a pretty good selection available and I wasn't a TO STH. You would just have to think with the new roof on the dome in Vancouver and the Lions looking to have a promising team for 2011 that the game is going to sell out. So I would get the deposit in as soon as possible or it just won't be an option to go. After 2011 it will probably be five or six years before it is back here again so, unless we travel to see it live in some other city, we'll be watching on TV after 2011. Maybe there is a better way of marketing the tickets but I wouldn't be trying to figure it out. I'd pay the deposit. Ok to keep complaining though. Keeps the CFL marketers on their toes.
SJ46
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Next years Grey Cup game is going to be the most expensive football game I have attended. I paid just over $200 to (3rd row/35 yard line) of a regular season Seahawk game last January but that will be cheaper than my Grey Cup ticket :dizzy: But I figured its the first Grey Cup with the new lid on the Dome. I'll be happy to what whatever two teams earn their way to the Grey Cup but I know who I want to see as the Western Division champs :cr:
Dieter
Rookie

Canuck_4_Life wrote:Okay then. I stand corrected.

I mis-read the email while I was in Edmonton. Excuse me, I was drunk.
You were drinking at the Grey Cup? I heard that goes on there at times but have always assumed only in pretty isolated cases. I plan to drink only diet cola the whole weekend so as to enjoy every play of the game. Really focus you know. All those people getting anilalated at the festivities, think of the long term damage they are doing to their livers. Not to mention the poor work performance they will provide their emplayers on Monday.

Not me, focus, focus, focus.

Maybe it would be best to ban alcohol within a 10 square block radius of the stadium so we can all talk football without any slurring of our words.

Thoughts... :tease:
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Dieter, you're drunk
Dieter
Rookie

Lionheart wrote:Dieter, you're drunk
No, but I probably will be in Vancouver next November :beer:
.G.
All Star

Well I won't be grabbing any seasons tickets, so I took 8 of the reservations, hopefully the cheap seats are still available at my turn.
MABEY!
Ravi
Legend

This will be the biggest Grey Cup in Vancouver since 1983 and hopefully we will see a rematch of that fine game too :cr: so get your tickets a.s.a.p. :wink: