Arceneaux giving hints regarding his future

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

korey&dante4ever
Champion

Entering his option year..
Via his twitter account..

"What's in store for me next year? ...All I know is that I look forward to making big time plays in big time games to help the team.. "

"I bleed black and orange to all my BC Lion fans.. "

"We can do some great things, host the west finals then play for the grey cup the following week.. #BC Lions.. #random thought "

"If your aren't a Season Ticket Holder, I don't usually give advice, but u might want to make sure u become one now..take my word for it! "

Sounds promising...
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
nelson95
Legend

Thanks Manny
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

He really turned it on as the year developed. That TD catch was a rare thing. Not many guys can go get the ball like that, with the timing, the athleticism, the hand eye coordination.

I do think some NFL team will give him a look though. Just because of his athleticism.

If it happens, I hope it is a cup of coffee.

He looked outstanding from TC back in 2009. Bit of a dry spell, but he got it back.

Same with Lulay. Looked great from TC 2009 on. Bit of a dry spell, but he got it back big time.
tigerrr22
Starter

Great to see that Arceneaux likes it here! This offence can be lights out in 2011! O-line tweak and a new OC and look out! Lulay is all a receiver can ask for. The ball is in the right place at the right time with Lulay's passing. Receivers snag the ball without breaking stride with Lulay and a loaded backfield to buy time and options through the air.

Dominic In Vancouver :beauty:

P.S. Got to swat away this damn winter and fast forward to next spring asap! 2011 can't get here soon enough!
Anglophone
All Star

tigerrr22 wrote:P.S. Got to swat away this damn winter and fast forward to next spring asap! 2011 can't get here soon enough!
True, I hate how long the offseason is!

I hope he sticks with us. He's proven himself to be a good reciever who can make the big catches when we need them.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I think the labour uncertainty in the NFL may influence Arceneaux's decision. Hell, he's only 23. Stay for 2 more years, go down when he's 25 and he'll have a better shot at cracking a roster.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:I think the labour uncertainty in the NFL may influence Arceneaux's decision. Hell, he's only 23. Stay for 2 more years, go down when he's 25 and he'll have a better shot at cracking a roster.

His agent doesn't think of this issue in this story but Paris Jackson cautions on this move without up front money and actually says he knows of some who have lost money. edited to add proof: Rather than risk putting that statement out there for more attacks here is the quote and proof for those who might disbelieve PJ said it.

Paris says: "Jackson believes Arceneaux should get a considerable financial commitment from an NFL team before he goes. "I’ve seen a lot of guys go with no (signing bonus), and come back and lose a lot of money the other way,” Jackson said. “Being a veteran who’s been through it, get some upfront money. I just don’t want Manny to go down there and become a statistic.”

Lions’ Arceneaux looking for NFL gig: agent

By Mike Beamish, Postmedia News November 16, 2010 10:03 PM

Arceneaux’s agent, Bardia Ghahremani, seems intent in pointing Arceneaux toward the National Football League, as he did last year with another client — former Lions running back Martell Mallett, now with the Philadelphia Eagles.

“Why wouldn’t you go?” Ghahremani asked Tuesday. “He’s only 23. Just like I told Martell last year, you can always go back to the CFL. They’ll always have the door open. It’s not like somebody’s going to say, ‘We don’t want you any more.’

“When you get to be 27, the NFL doesn’t even want to look at you. I think, if you’re young, you should take a crack at it.”

http://www.canada.com/sports/football/L ... story.html
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I think it's pretty clear people should stop gleaning over twitter for any tangible news... or any that's accurate anyway.
joe kapp22
Legend

I've always been clear on this one, an Athlete should try to make money while they can as there are no guarantees should injuries strike.

I also do believe Wally Buono is right, Manny A should spend another season in the CFL polishing his game simply because in the NFL once the "book" is written on a player that is who they are, Chad Owens for example, bounced around practice squads down south, but found his grove in the CFL and made his mark.

Manny A offers no extra talents other than Wr, he is not a Returner, and to be frank, his hands are not consistent enough..yet.

The agent is seeing the 330k, he is not seeing the downside of burning the chance down south via Manny A's roughness around the edges meaning he is frozen out via pigeon holing.

Love the CFL, however you can count on one hand the Wr's who tried to make the jump and stuck..just my :2cents:

Manny A can be a special player (thought to my eyes Stevie Black is a better player) and imo it is better for Manny A to stick in BC, dedicate himself ala Cam Wake, and then hitting the large upfront money signing bonus.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

ed_lunsford wrote:I've always been clear on this one, an Athlete should try to make money while they can as there are no guarantees should injuries strike.

I also do believe Wally Buono is right, Manny A should spend another season in the CFL polishing his game simply because in the NFL once the "book" is written on a player that is who they are, Chad Owens for example, bounced around practice squads down south, but found his grove in the CFL and made his mark.

Manny A offers no extra talents other than Wr, he is not a Returner, and to be frank, his hands are not consistent enough..yet.

The agent is seeing the 330k, he is not seeing the downside of burning the chance down south via Manny A's roughness around the edges meaning he is frozen out via pigeon holing.

Love the CFL, however you can count on one hand the Wr's who tried to make the jump and stuck..just my :2cents:

Manny A can be a special player (thought to my eyes Stevie Black is a better player) and imo it is better for Manny A to stick in BC, dedicate himself ala Cam Wake, and then hitting the large upfront money signing bonus.
Good post. He could probably double or triple his CFL salary by signing an extension but by playing out his final season he can further hone his skills and his stats and be a true freee agent available to either league. Plus, by not exercising his option-year-clause to sign with the NFL, he avoids the uncertain labour situation in NFL next year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Despite what Arceneaux says in public, I think he will give the NFL a shot. Having said that I don't think he'll stick.
Rammer
Team Captain

ed_lunsford wrote:I've always been clear on this one, an Athlete should try to make money while they can as there are no guarantees should injuries strike.

I don't see Arceneaux doing the additional CFL season as a favour to the Lions, he is as ready as he is going to be and now has a nice Hail Mary catch to add to his video clip for his future employer. Going for the NFL allows him to earn a living the CFL could never approach for his position. But I am with you, the CFL WR that makes the NFL is a very small window, although Manny's age will be a large advantage in that department, as most CFL WR begin to add a few years to NFL resume by the time they reach the NFL attempt level.
Entertainment value = an all time low
joe kapp22
Legend

Rammer wrote:

I don't see Arceneaux doing the additional CFL season as a favour to the Lions, he is as ready as he is going to be and now has a nice Hail Mary catch to add to his video clip for his future employer. Going for the NFL allows him to earn a living the CFL could never approach for his position. But I am with you, the CFL WR that makes the NFL is a very small window, although Manny's age will be a large advantage in that department, as most CFL WR begin to add a few years to NFL resume by the time they reach the NFL attempt level.
There is always a danger in discussion such as this as it would seem to be to easy to disparage one league to the benefit of the other league.

CFL football for me is an escape from the hype of the NCAA, that said, Manny A's drops and fumbles on end around earlier in the year will send up flags down south, he really has to show that he has that cleaned up and maybe work on his route running a bit, before he will have a real chance in the NFL.

I say that because of the smaller field in the NFL, you cannot round off routes the way you can in the CFL.

Let me take this a step further, Manny A really doesn't fit on a NFL roster, maybe a practice squad, the problem is this:

He won't be a #1 Wr in the NFL when he first arrives, he is not really a #2 as they tend to be more possession Wr's, and he is not a slot Wr, that leaves the #4 and #5 Wr slots, and those go to Special Teams Wr's who rarely see passes and he has played Wr not Specials in BC.

Now it would make some sense to sign Manny A, run him through a training camp, then place him on a practice squad roster, as happened with Martel Mallet.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
ziggy
Legend

I think you have to take all leaked info with a grain of salt, but what the guy`s agent says isn`t that reliable either. I`m sure Manny would like to give the NFL a whirl, but even if he didn`t, or had little chance of sticking, his agent would never say that. It would be a pretty poor way to negotiate a new contract if you started from the, no other option position.