Pleasant surprises today!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

1. Travis Lulay has ice in his veins. But maybe fans of Montana State already knew this.
2. Keron Williams. Relentless pressure. 3 sacks. 4 tackles. Numerous hurries.
3. The O-line. Were in pass protection 49 times yet only gave up 2 sacks - and on one, Travis clearly had time to throw it away.
4. O'Neil Wilson. Some clutch catches today, and even some YAC.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:1. Travis Lulay has ice in his veins. But maybe fans of Montana State already knew this.
3. The O-line. Were in pass protection 49 times yet only gave up 2 sacks - and on one, Travis clearly had time to throw it away.

DH
All good.

I was not actually surprised by Lulay. So well suited to the CFL. His career in Montana sounds like the Joe Montana kind of stuff.

Keron Williams. Where was this guy all year?

O Line. I like Hamster, McGrath and Newman, and of course Olafioye, as new guys in our O Line. Bodes well.

Wilson did well today. :thup:

But our young guys often still languish in obscurity. Jamal Lee. Shawn Gore. Can't develop if you don't get any reps on O in games.

IMO Black showed that he has very, very good potential. And Rod Black was mercifully on the other game, during which he probably found a way to mention the cousin thing again anyway. :wink:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:1. Travis Lulay has ice in his veins. But maybe fans of Montana State already knew this.

DH
All of the above, plus Jonathan Brown, who led the Lions with five tackles and a sack. He was supposed to be a fill-in for Aaron Hunt but he's been enough of a leader on and off the field to keep his starting role after Hunt returned from the 9-game DL.

And, it's hardly a surprise, but Paul McCallum remained purrfect in in the playoffs in five years as a Lion, going 5 for 5.
David
Team Captain

I think we can add Stanley Franks too.

He had a rough outing last game in Hamilton. But he must have been in good position all day. Fantuz only caught 2 passes for 11 yards. :rockin:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

DH
3. Why didn't Lulay throw that ball away on that play, he took a hit for a 5 yard loss when it wasn't necessary. In the future he has to learn to throw that ball away with just enough time to take a roughing the passer hit. Next play was for a 9 yard toss to Simon when we needed 15, had it been 2nd and 10 the Lions may have gone for a 3rd down drive extender.
5. Korey Banks was a monster sniffing out plays, he is by far the Lions MoP, regards to McCallum.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

1. the sun came up today
2. I'm not at all upset or angry with the loss. Maybe I would feel different if the Lions had lost in regulation time, but for some reason I am really at peace with this defeat today.
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, they pushed the Riders to the limit and came up short, I can live with that as an outcome.

Moving forward:

-Wally Buono and Staff, will it remain intact?

-Jarious Jackson remains in BC?

-We appear to be heading in 2011, and the Grey Cup in BC with most units intact and healthy.

-Oline finally gelled
-Travis Lulay is the Qb
-Lb corps appears deep and talented

Only real questions for me are:

-Do we get poached again by the other league?
-Do we keep the vets like Robertson, Brown, Sanchez?

I think that we have a really good opportunity to try out several passrushing De's as in that can easily be a position they focus on this offseason.

Fun season, proud to be a BC Lions Fan. :roar:
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
ladyleome1
prospect

yeh but look at all the plays through out the year he did make always neg stuff no good stuff watch out he was awesome for a rookie
Rammer
Team Captain

ladyleome1 wrote:yeh but look at all the plays through out the year he did make always neg stuff no good stuff watch out he was awesome for a rookie
I am not following who you are directing that comment towards or the player, can you please explain your post. TIA
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Lulay is going to be a very good QB for the Lions. He still has a lot to learn but he's getting better every game.

While Wilson made some clutch receptions, I think his time may be done with the Lions. Age, SMS and younger guys all come into the decision but I'd be surprised if he returns.

He may also have been in the last year of his deal, so he may be a free agent going into 2011 with a low priority to re-sign.

I suppose he could be back if a new deal and space on the roster exists.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I think Reid may be done, and judging by his tweet prior to the Halloween game, he's thinking along the same lines.

As for Brent Johnson, he's a ratio-breaker and I'd keep him at the right price. The dline looks stacked heading into next year: Williams, Williams, Brown, Hunt, Mitchell, Geathers, Pittman.

As for Wilson, I believe that he becomes expendable with the mid-season signing of one Shawn Gore. I'd also be tempted to move Lee, once healthy, to SB. He's got the wheels and the hands to become a good SB in this league. I can see him becoming a faster version of Andy Fantuz.
joe kapp22
Legend

I'm also pleased they locked up Rolly Lumbala for 2 yrs, his return really signaled the improvement in blitz pickups.

The other factor is, will Danny Watkins play in BC this season?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Luke
All Star

ed_lunsford wrote:Well, they pushed the Riders to the limit and came up short, I can live with that as an outcome.

Moving forward:

-Wally Buono and Staff, will it remain intact?

-Jarious Jackson remains in BC?

-We appear to be heading in 2011, and the Grey Cup in BC with most units intact and healthy.

-Oline finally gelled
-Travis Lulay is the Qb
-Lb corps appears deep and talented

Only real questions for me are:

-Do we get poached again by the other league?
-Do we keep the vets like Robertson, Brown, Sanchez?

I think that we have a really good opportunity to try out several passrushing De's as in that can easily be a position they focus on this offseason.

Fun season, proud to be a BC Lions Fan. :roar:
Agreed on all of them. I'm very curious what will happen to the coaching staff. Even with the emergence of Lulay, Arceneaux and Black, I still think the offense could do much better with a different offensive coordinator. I think the question for Wally will be whether he wants to force his offense to learn a whole new playbook (or at least new language and signals) after they finally started coming together in the final third of the season. Particularly the offensive line.
Anglophone
All Star

Canuck_4_Life wrote:I think Reid may be done, and judging by his tweet prior to the Halloween game, he's thinking along the same lines.
I missed this, do you have it somewhere? Don't use twitter myself.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Not according to Angus he's not. Must have been listening to the wrong tweety bird.