List of Good and Bad BC Lions who RETURNED

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:Paopao maybe wasnt a great player, but he was more good than bad even when he returned. In fact, he was doing quite well before his final injury.
It's hard for me to say he was BETTER when he returned. If anything, he was the same at most in that he would deliver sometimes, but also throw the interception at the costly moment. I suppose you can say he was better considering how much older he was when he came out of retirement in 1990. Paopao joined the Lions in 1978 and was a backup behind Jerry Tague, and won the starting QB job for the Lions for four straight years from 1979-82 before giving way to Roy Dewalt. He then went to Saskatchewan for three years in 84-86 before a final year in Ottawa in 87.

And I suppose you can say Paopao was better given the fact that he was the best QB in the huge list of available QB's in the disorganized 1990 season. I said it before, and I'll say it again Paopao may have been the best in that he started more games than the other QB's. The five QB's were:

1. Joe Paopao - came out of retirement in 87, won the starting job.
2. Doug Flutie - had trouble adjusting to the CFL game before becoming a superstar the next year. Regulated as a backup.
3. Rickey Foggie - after two seasons as backup, still couldn't be a starter and was eventually released in August 1990 and became great as an Argo.
4. Major Harris - a true rookie who certainly wasn't capable of being a starter.
5. Rick Johnson - a former all-star in 1986 acquired as part of the Dunigan trade, but suddenly retired.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With his performance today, I guess there's no doubt now that Casey Printers falls into the Good category.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Gerry
Legend

I'm choked that anyone would put Paopao in the "bad" category, or say that he was a mediocre QB.

He's one of my favourite all-time Lions. As far as I am concerned, Doug Flutie owes a great deal of his CFL success to the Throwin' Samoan.

He did not do so well as a coach in the CFL. I think that that's because he was too much of a "buddy" with the players and not enough of a disciplinarian.

But he was a good CFL QB, and a great BC Lion.
Enough is enough.
Hutch85
All Star

I'm inclined to put Armour on the Good list, IMHO (without looking at stats) I'd say he's done better in his return here than in '04-05. I remember a couple of great tackles he made back then, but I feel he's contributed more key plays this season.

Entirely subjective observation on my part!
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:I'm choked that anyone would put Paopao in the "bad" category, or say that he was a mediocre QB.
Glad you said it Gerry. I loved Joe. In those days I always watched warm up very early and no one ever had a better touch on the ball. It was a beauty. He didn't have the greatest team to work with so his memory mirrors that I guess.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Reviving this seven year old thread given the fact that Paul McCallum has returned to the Lions.

I created this thread shortly after Casey Printers returned to the Lions in late 2009 and decided to evaluate a RETURNING Lion to see how his second and subsequent stints compare to his first stint. Obviously now in hindsight, Casey Printers clearly fell in the BAD category.

May Paul McCallum be in the GOOD category. Obviously with his previous success as a Lion with all his awards, it's hard to expect him to be even better. But at most he can match his good and consistent field goal kicking in the most important playoff game(s) and may that be the missing link to another championship season. As mentioned in the other threads, for both 2006 and 2011 playoffs McCallum produced a lot of vital points in giving the Lions good leads in the eventual comfortable wins.
Last edited by Robbie on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
almo89
Legend

DERP. DIdn't realize this was an old thread. EDITED
Blitz
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Reviving this seven year old thread given the fact that Paul McCallum has returned to the Lions.

I created this thread shortly after Casey Printers returned to the Lions in late 2009 and decided to evaluate a RETURNING Lion to see how his second and subsequent stints compare to his first stint. Obviously now in hindsight, Casey Printers clearly fell in the BAD category.

May Paul McCallum be in the GOOD category. Obviously with his previous success as a Lion with all his awards, it's hard to expect him to be even better. But at most he can match his good and consistent field goal kicking in the most important playoff game(s) and may that be the missing link to another championship season. As mentioned in the other threads, for both 2006 and 2011 playoffs McCallum produced a lot of vital points in giving the Lions good leads in the eventual comfortable wins.

It's difficult to evaluate the return of Printers. Printers was signed in late September that season. Considering that he hadn't played any football up until that point, had missed training camp, etc. Printers would start 5 games for us, and considering what little practice time he had until he played and how rusty he was, Printers had a 99.3 quarterback efficiency average, which is higher than Jennings had for most of this season. Printers led us to a win as the cross-over team, as we beat Hamilton but lost to Montreal in the East Final.

Printers play in 2009 was good enough that Wally offered him a new contract and named Printers as our starter in 2010. However, Printers tore up his knee early in 2010 and played on a knee that needed total knee reconstruction. That was unknown to fans or media. Printers said nothing and his play was nowhere near as good as in the five games he played in 2009. When Printers lost it in double overtime in Winnipeg, he was released.

So its a hard one to judge, at least based on his play in 2010.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

By going 4 for 4 in field goals and converted both 32-yard convert attempts, Paul McCallum immediately made a positive impact with his usual self and he's a good BC Lion who returned. :rockin:
Last edited by Robbie on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
aklawitter
All Star

the Chris Rainey thread had me thinking

Stefan Logan would fit into the GOOD RETURN category
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Robbie wrote:By going 4 for 4 in field goals and converted both 32-yard convert attempts, Paul McCallum immediately made a positive impact with his usual self and he's a god BC Lion who returned. :rockin:
Underlined for truth. :rockin: :rockin:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Underlined for truth. :rockin: :rockin:
Thanks for letting me know about the typo. :oops:
aklawitter wrote:Stefan Logan would fit into the GOOD RETURN category
Agreed. :yes:
sj-roc wrote:Perhaps put LB Paul Lacoste (google him for his current whereabouts) on your bad list.
He is now running his own fitness training program business in Ridgeland, Mississippi.
http://paullacoste.com/
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of Ricky Foley returning to the BC Lions organization, reviving this thread to track how he will do as a returning Lion.

To summarize, how does a returning Lion compare to his first stint as a Lion? Here's the general consensus for these former Lions:

GOOD RETURNING BC LIONS
Bob Ackles
Sean Millington
Dave Ritchie
Bob O'Billovich
Mike Cacic
Rocky Long
Rob Smith
Paul McCallum
Bret Anderson
Steve Buratto
Lui Passaglia
Lefty Hendrickson
Stefan Logan
Wally Buono

BAD RETURNING BC LIONS
Mervyn Fernandez
Jim Sandusky
Joe Kapp
Joe Paopao
Jim Mills
Gerald Roper
Freddie Sims
Ed Vereb
Adam Rita
Chris Skinner
Rickey Foggie
Andre Francis
Casey Printers
Jacques Chapdelaine
JoJuan Armour
Paul Lacoste

I placed Wally Buono on the good list because going from a 7-11 2015 finish to a 12-6 2016 finish upon his returning as head coach is definitely a huge improvement for the team and Buono deserves a lot of credit for this.

But let's see how Ricky Foley does in his returning category. As optimistic as I want to be, unfortunately I have a feeling that he will be in the bad category especially his great performance during his first stint in which he won Most Outstanding Canadian in 2009 and with the Argonauts won the 2012 Grey Cup Most Valuable Canadian award and capture a third Grey Cup with the Roughriders in 2013 and as such, he's naturally held to high standards and expectations.
祝你龍年行大運。
pennw
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm
In light of Ricky Foley returning to the BC Lions organization, reviving this thread to track how he will do as a returning Lion.

To summarize, how does a returning Lion compare to his first stint as a Lion? Here's the general consensus for these former Lions:

GOOD RETURNING BC LIONS
Bob Ackles
Sean Millington
Dave Ritchie
Bob O'Billovich
Mike Cacic
Rocky Long
Rob Smith
Paul McCallum
Bret Anderson
Steve Buratto
Lui Passaglia
Lefty Hendrickson
Stefan Logan
Wally Buono

BAD RETURNING BC LIONS
Mervyn Fernandez
Jim Sandusky
Joe Kapp
Joe Paopao
Jim Mills
Gerald Roper
Freddie Sims
Ed Vereb
Adam Rita
Chris Skinner
Rickey Foggie
Andre Francis
Casey Printers
Jacques Chapdelaine
JoJuan Armour
Paul Lacoste

I placed Wally Buono on the good list because going from a 7-11 2015 finish to a 12-6 2016 finish upon his returning as head coach is definitely a huge improvement for the team and Buono deserves a lot of credit for this.

But let's see how Ricky Foley does in his returning category. As optimistic as I want to be, unfortunately I have a feeling that he will be in the bad category especially his great performance during his first stint in which he won Most Outstanding Canadian in 2009 and with the Argonauts won the 2012 Grey Cup Most Valuable Canadian award and capture a third Grey Cup with the Roughriders in 2013 and as such, he's naturally held to high standards and expectations.
You wanna run a parallel thread to other one already dedicated to this topic ?