Neil Macrae unloads on Wally and the Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bbking
Starter

This is a message for CKNW; (just in case someone there is on board )
I still listen to CKNW from time to time . I find that they talk about current events regarding our city and province .

Today I was listening to the noon news when Neil came on . I would normally continue listening thru the sports and to whatever followed ,as I was driving . 7 seconds into the rant I CHANGED stations and exclaimed as I did so "I am not listening to this idiot ." Any other station ,format, music genre ,is preferable to the hatefilled ,negative ,uniformed drivle that comes out of his vulgar spout . This thread actually made me think , I didnt realize how often I turn off or change away from CKNW .
“It just shows,” he said to the reporters, “that you guys don’t always see what you think you see.”
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I got a nusience(sp?) phone call from someone saying they represent CKNW today. For that reason alone, I will not ever listen to them. Everyone knows they exist, why do they got to bother people for.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Gerry
Legend

I've listened to CKNW for years, and still do on the drive to and from work. I liked the station better in the old days, but it's still okay. I even listen to McRae when he comes on. I don't take him seriously or respect him. He's just a goof that entertains with his off the wall comments.

Jim Mullin has more and more airtime on NW and he gives lots of air to the Lions, with good factual reports.

I have to say though that I've tuned to 1040 more often lately and there's lots of Lions talk there in the afternoon and it's quite enjoyable (what I've heard, anyway). Usually though I like the news stations and NW is the best for news and news talk.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I'm not sure it's even worth wasting band-width on this blowhard (does he even have relevance in broadasting circles anymore? I mean, really. I'm not so sure anyone takes his tired-ass "opinions" seriously anymore). Regardless, for those that care, he unleashed a hate-filled tirade on Wally Buono and the Lions in his sports comment today.
I listened to this and I coulda sworn it was 120db talking...
bumblebee

Aw, Neil is always happy when he can find a reason to diss the Lions. The thing is his MO is to usually gripe about pretty much every team so his words tend to lose a bit of their snap. If he was a more rational newscaster then when he did rant about something, it would carry more weight.

Even "BIG AL' from years gone by had more rational thought out opinions then Neil imo.
pinkfreud

I just listened to it and he sounds like he's reading off a script that someone else wrote. They're not likely his own thoughts - he's just a mouthpiece. Neil makes me laugh from time to time but I don't perceive him as an insightful authority on the Lions or much else.
Gerry
Legend

bumblebee wrote:Aw, Neil is always happy when he can find a reason to diss the Lions. The thing is his MO is to usually gripe about pretty much every team so his words tend to lose a bit of their snap. If he was a more rational newscaster then when he did rant about something, it would carry more weight.

Even "BIG AL' from years gone by had more rational thought out opinions then Neil imo.
I can remember wanting punch out Big Al when I was listening to him sometimes, but he had more brains in his left nut than McRae could ever pretend to have. The thing is that they both give/gave you someone to get royally pissed off every now and then. They fullfill(ed) a need. And they get(got) well paid for it.
Gerry
Legend

Soundy wrote:
David wrote:I'm not sure it's even worth wasting band-width on this blowhard (does he even have relevance in broadasting circles anymore? I mean, really. I'm not so sure anyone takes his tired-ass "opinions" seriously anymore). Regardless, for those that care, he unleashed a hate-filled tirade on Wally Buono and the Lions in his sports comment today.
I listened to this and I coulda sworn it was 120db talking...
nah....120 is WAY louder...
Tighthead
Legend

Solar Max wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Solar Max wrote:Ya Gerry, but Neil fixed ol' Al's wagon, now didn't he?

I feel like a boat ride all of a sudden. :twisted:
Tell us the story. I missed it. Maybe I was living in Calgary then. I know Davidson used to have "Seawatch Charters" or something like that...2 boats if I recall. I did some carpentry work for Davidson's partner in that business.
I'll talk to a lawyer and see if I should. :twisted:
I can advise you that there is lots of info in the public domain - and I think there was even a trial...
bbking
Starter

Gerry wrote:I've listened to CKNW for years, and still do on the drive to and from work. I liked the station better in the old days, but it's still okay. I even listen to McRae when he comes on. I don't take him seriously or respect him. He's just a goof that entertains with his off the wall comments.

Jim Mullin has more and more airtime on NW and he gives lots of air to the Lions, with good factual reports.

I have to say though that I've tuned to 1040 more often lately and there's lots of Lions talk there in the afternoon and it's quite enjoyable (what I've heard, anyway). Usually though I like the news stations and NW is the best for news and news talk.

Good points Gerry . I guess what I,m trying to say is I would like to listen to the station(s) that hold my interests . Jim Mullin for one is worth tuning in for . A good topic and guest is worth staying tuned in for even if Christy Clark is the host . But IMHO Neil McRae is best apreciated by tuning out . :lol:
Rammer
Team Captain

CatsEyes wrote:
No Ordinary Joe wrote:Wow, can this guy get any more spiteful? It's almost comical now.
Him and Bryan Hall should get a show together. With their combined knowledge of football, they could fill, oh......5 minutes? The rest could be ads for Tony Roma's and ulcer medications. :roll:
If you remember SN did have a couple of clips with the two discussing mainly the CFL, it just didn't work out as well as they had hoped when they would provide the spark.

As for McCrae, he is the public voice of the drunks that sit around the bar in the afternoon relay to him.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:As far as Buono being arrogant........think back to the opinion you had of the guy when he was still in Calgary.........it's not pretty.
Well, yes but he's our arrogant head coach and GM now, so it's all good, right? :lol:

Plus, he's had a couple of health issues that have mellowed him a little.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Meh, nobody thinks McRae knows anything about sports, because he doesn't. Want sports? Mullin on 'NW, or Dhaliwahl. Team1040 does a pretty good pregame show, but those two know their Lions/CFL stuff.

Think about how good a pregame show NW would do if they had the Lions while the Team had the Canucks; 'NW has learned their lesson, and they'd be great.

Mullin hosts the pre and post game, or does PBP. Lions fans could call and diss McRae every game.

Werks fer me.
nelson95
Legend

MacRae did have a point this morning when he mentioned that he musta missed the press release indicating why the Canucks think they'll be contenders for the cup this year.

He sure has a hard-on for Wally though
Give the ball to LeeRoy!