Neil Macrae unloads on Wally and the Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
squishy35
Legend

You know, I try to find a silver lining in most things, but in truth I find it very difficult to express condolences where Mr Macrae is concerned.

He spewed negativism towards the Lions and other franchises and fostered the reinforcement of fans to become disinterested in their sports teams on the West Coast.

He presented to me as on who focused on anything negative and I have to be honest and say, the west coast sports scene is a healthier place today.

Just being honest.

:2cents:
Qman
Champion

squishy35 wrote:

You know, I try to find a silver lining in most things, but in truth I find it very difficult to express condolences where Mr Macrae is concerned.

He spewed negativism towards the Lions and other franchises and fostered the reinforcement of fans to become disinterested in their sports teams on the West Coast.

He presented to me as on who focused on anything negative and I have to be honest and say, the west coast sports scene is a healthier place today.

Just being honest.

you realize he was just playing a character on the radio. It wasn't real.

In real life, he was the polar opposite of the "angry sports guy" character he performed each day.
Last edited by Qman on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Qman wrote:
squishy35 wrote:

Just being honest.

you realize he was just playing a character on the radio. It wasn't real.

In real life, he was the polar opposite off the "angry sports guy" character he performed each day.
Exactly right Qman. Macrae was controversial and a contrarian by design and he got reactions from those both for and against him thus increasing the interest in a given topic. :beauty:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:

Just being honest.

how does that saying go...if you can't say anything nice.....

Macrae vs Burke...I back Burke, just because I am a Burke fan. Macrae, I have no opinion of.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Qman
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:
squishy35 wrote:

Just being honest.

how does that saying go...if you can't say anything nice.....

Macrae vs Burke...I back Burke, just because I am a Burke fan. Macrae, I have no opinion of.
burke didn't get it (or maybe played along). Neil was playing a "character" on the radio. It was a performance! all done for ratings. Neil ate it up.

again Neil outside the radio both was one of the nicest guys you could every meet, and not at all like the "angry sports guy" he performed on the radio.
squishy35
Legend

He may have well been a swell guy off the air. But his on air antics surely promoted negativism and convinced would be fans to avoid investing in the game.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Local media needs a few more guys like Neil McRae who are not afraid to be critical of powerhouse sports franchises. The Canucks have intimidated the Vancouver media into becoming part of their marketing machine. Yes, McRae did come off like a grumpy jerk on air at times, but for what 5 minutes a day on CKNW in between traffic reports and songs from the 60s? It's not like he had a 4 hour sports talk show to complain and criticise endlessly. Ask Tom Larschied how long the Canucks will tolerate criticism before they turn the screws on your boss and get you fired. And it's only going to get worse. As newspapers and broadcasters reduce staff, the teams (especially the teams with deep pockets, such as the Canucks) are going to fill the void by putting out their own "alternative facts" about how great everything is within their organisation. Before long most of the voices you hear and words you read will be coming from people on the payroll of the teams they are supposedly covering.

Love him or hate him, McRae was missed since retiring. He will certainly continue to be missed.
Blitz
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:Local media needs a few more guys like Neil McRae who are not afraid to be critical of powerhouse sports franchises. The Canucks have intimidated the Vancouver media into becoming part of their marketing machine. Yes, McRae did come off like a grumpy jerk on air at times, but for what 5 minutes a day on CKNW in between traffic reports and songs from the 60s? It's not like he had a 4 hour sports talk show to complain and criticise endlessly. Ask Tom Larschied how long the Canucks will tolerate criticism before they turn the screws on your boss and get you fired. And it's only going to get worse. As newspapers and broadcasters reduce staff, the teams (especially the teams with deep pockets, such as the Canucks) are going to fill the void by putting out their own "alternative facts" about how great everything is within their organisation. Before long most of the voices you hear and words you read will be coming from people on the payroll of the teams they are supposedly covering.

Love him or hate him, McRae was missed since retiring. He will certainly continue to be missed.
The sports media in Vancouver, for a long time, has had a number of types that I would politely call 'very different' as well as 'colorful'.

But the bigger picture is that most media and writers and columnists who cover sports have usually either reported the facts or functioned almost as if they are part of the marketing department of the team they cover.

News and sports have always been treated differently. If a news reporter writes a critical piece about an elected politician that's ok. But if a sports reporter writes a critical piece about a coach or the team he is considered disloyal by too many.

Sports columnists or reporters who stray from reporting the facts or marketing the team with their articles or reports face all kinds of pressures. Plus its not easy to ride on the same planes as the team or stay at the same hotels and then be critical - sports reporters are much closer to a team than a news reporter usually is to his story.

I wish sports reporters could feel more free to comment critically when situations call for it or would write in more depth and do more investigative type reporting of the team that they cover. But this is usually not encouraged and can also get a reporter fired, when the team boss complains to his boss.

Sports reporters like Lowell Ullrich are gems because they have the courage at times to not just hand out the pablum that they are expected to. Its not easy to be critical in any way of the people who run or coach the organization.

But good news reporting is also in decline. A few major corporations own most media and newspapers and advertising has left both to market their goods on the Internet. Many people also choose to get their information from the Internet these days because they don't trust the traditional media anymore and for good reasons.

We may consider a Neil McCrae off the mark but his types balance the teeter totter a little. Perhaps he is off too much in his criticism but it at least provides a little balance to the types who don't give us anything but the pablum they are expected to give.

Teams have their marketing departments and its not the job of sports writers, and columnists and commentators to play that role. Their job is to report, to investigate, to comment, and to analyze. We may not agree but coaches and team GM's often manipulate information for their benefit. Its the reporters job to cut through that b.s. at times and provide us with a different and more accurate story.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

He had a great voice I didn't care for his opinions most of the time but that isn't really relevant. Condolences to his family. Had he been ill long?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.