Article on ex-Lion Jon Volpe

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Here is an article on the 1991 CFL Most Outstanding Rookie Jon Volpe. He went on to become a self-made millionaire, not as a football player but as a mortgage broker.

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/gbase/Curre ... ?oid=53316
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A very good feel story. Good for Volpe :thup:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I can't believe how this article -- which details a long list of hardships that life has thrown at Jon Volpe -- somehow forgot to mention his brief stint with the Las Vegas Posse :)
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Great article, full of incite Robbie, and thanks for invoking his precious memories!

The one thing I remember about Jon Volpe was his nose for the goal line.
If the Lions were anywhere near the red zone, then Volpe could literally smell 6 points, and there was very few times that opposing defenses could do to stop him from scoring at will.

I used to call him "the bowling ball", as he would more often than not scatter defending linebackers, and halfbacks like tenpins in a strike.

He was extremely exciting to watch.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

hmm, I actually was tempted to choose Jon in the rookie poll, but I couldnt remember why, sigh

Pretty damn impressive what he has done with his life :thup:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

I knew there was a Volpe who played for the Lions and for the past 6 months I thought it was Joe Volpe in the Liberal Leadership Convention :lol: :lol:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion