THE MAGIC OF FOOTBALL!!

Serious Discussion of Football Terminology and Tactics.
This Room is named after the late Annis Stukus.

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

THE JOY OF PLAY CALLING

Buck Pierce walks into the huddle, quickly scans all his players to ensure he has their attention, and calls ACE, Pro Right, Motion, 38 Toss, on Two. The offensive line claps their hands in unison and quicky approach the line of scrimmage. Pearce looks over the defense, determines the play call in the huddle will work against the defensive set, and there is no need to audible. It?s second and five on the opposition 48 yard line.

I was taking the dog for a walk this morning, when I observed six kids in the neighbourhood, playing a pick up game of football. The quarterback lined up in the shotgun and began calling a variety of colors and numbers to signify the play. The colors and numbers were completely meaningless but I knew it sounded more like a real football game to the young quarterback by calling out a sequence of ?code?. I remember doing the same thing when, as a kid, I played pickup football in the neighbourhood, and took my turn at quarterback.

FOOTBALL IS A TACTICAL GAME

Football is a tactical game; it involves military concepts such as deployment (formations) and maneuvers (motion and plays) in an effort to gain territory. It also focuses on tactical responses. Offenses look at the deployment of the defensive personnel and try to take advantage of match-ups that are favorable and avoid those that are not. This planning begins early in the week with the game plan and works it way down to plays for specific game situations and eventually to the blocking scheme of a particular play.

The competitive balance among many CFL teams is so close that tactical plans are often the difference between winning or losing. Dorazio doesn?t get to the office at 2 a.m. each day because he just wants to beat the morning traffic. His offensive coaches will arrive soon after him. Play calling is a key component of those tactical plans.

CHOREOGRAPHY WITH GIFTED ATHLETES

I think back to our Grey Cup winning season. As Pierce eyes the defense, Angus Reid makes an offensive line call that takes care of any necessary adjustments to the blocking scheme, prior to the snap. Pierce takes the snap on two, reverse pivots, and pitches the football to Joe Smith, who has quickly sprinted laterally to his right. Everything is synchronized, like a choreographed dance, the only difference being that this choreography is being executed by powerful, gifted athletes who will look to execute by exploding into the defensive player they have been assigned to block.

PIERCE CALLED A RUNNING PLAY

ACE described the formation, a single back set, Pro Right set the alignment, with the fifth receiver lined up on the inside receiver spot to the wide side of the field, '3' enabled everyone to know that Smith would be taking the toss from Pierce and '8' enabled all that he would heading for the eight hole, to the outside of the offensive line. To further clarify the type of play Pierce has called 'Toss' to describe the play, which is a sweep play to the right using a reverse pivot toss rather than a handoff. Paris Jackson realizes that he will have to come down inside and seal off the linebacker in order to make the play work. He knows he will have to sacrifice his body against a stronger, tougher linebacker with extreme violence in his mindset. Jackson makes the block, Smith breaks to the outside for a seven yard gain and our Leos have another first down.

A PASSING PLAY CALL

The ball is on the right side hash mark as Dickenson returns to the game and Pierce heads back to the bench. Dickenson quickly takes control of the huddle and calls out Trips Left, Y Motion, 61728, H Swing, Base, on Three. Dickenson adds "Draw Offside". Dickenson walks up behind his centre, then steps back three steps into the shotgun. Everyone on the offence is clued into the fact that Dickenson is going to attempt to draw the defense offside with his voice. It often works but this time the defense is disciplined and the ball is snapped on three.

The receivers are lined up in a formation with three receivers ?Trips Left? to the left wide side of the field. The Y receiver, Simon, lines up on the right and then goes in motion left and breaks his motion just outside the left offensive tackle. Simmons, lined up as the middle receiver in the 'Trips Left' formation runs a '7' deep post pattern, keeping the safety in the middle of the field. Clermont, lined up as the inside third receiver runs a '2' sideline pattern while Jackson, lined up wide outside comes underneath, running a '1' slant pattern and then dragging it across the field. On the right side of the field Boden has taken his '6' corner pattern deep, taking the corner and halfback with him. Geroy, turns upfield, breaks his pattern towards the sideline, and then explodes upfield, turning the apparent sideline pattern into an 'out and up'.

In the meantime, the offensive line, in a 'Base' protection knows that Dickenson will be throwing from the pocket. Their assignment is to form a cup for Dickenson to step up into the pocket, fighting inside penetration and flowing the defensive ends to the outside. Smith, the ace back, steps up, looking for any blitz but the defense has decided to drop everyone off to deal with the Leos formation. 'Swing' lets Smith know that he can now leave the backfield, allowing Dickenson a safety valve if the protection breaks down too quickly.

Dickenson takes the shotgun snap from Angus Reid while still looking downfield. He first looks right at Boden, looking the safety off, swivels his head left, watches Clermont make his break, Simmons streaking towards the post, Jackson dragging his pattern underneath, and Simon exploding upfield. He knows that he can dump to Smith. In that split second he knows that Simon?s defensive back has his hips turned. He makes his decision and throws the ball deep downfield, leading Simon slightly towards the corner away from the safety. Simon slightly adjusts his pattern, makes the catch off his fingertips, and glides into the end zone.

THE MAGIC OF FOOTBALL

I return from taking the dog from her walk. She?s ready to rest but I have football on my mind. I quickly throw on a pair of sweats and an old pair of runners and join the kids playing football on their front lawn across the road. Another kid is sitting down so we now have four on each side. My neighbour?s kid, Trent, asks me to play quarterback. I call the play??Everyone run deep and get open?. I line up in the shotgun and bark out the signals. Purple, Blast, Eight thousand and fifty nine, Red, Five Hundred, Hut, Hut. The colours and numbers mean nothing but it makes the game sound better. The shotgun snap arrives and I hit Trent with a purrfect six yard fly pattern. He juggles the undersized rubber football, secures it, and he takes it all the way to the end of the lawn for a touchdown. The sparkle in his eyes says it all!! Whether it?s being played at the pro level or playing a game of pickup with the neighbourhood kids on a cold late March winter day'there's something magical about football'!!
Last edited by Blitz on Sun May 13, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A beautiful scene. It hearkens me back to playing touch football 2 on 2 in the back alley. In a world of contract negotiation and salary caps, it is nice to remember the pure moments where having fun playing a great game is the only things that matters.

Thanks Blitz!
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz, we used to use colours in high school ball for our audibles so I guess we were just like those young guys on the local lot, hahah.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

It's all great until someone yells "car" and you have to move the nets.

Er, wait a minute........

:beer:
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Buck Pierce walks into the huddle, quickly scans all his players to ensure he has their attention, and calls ?ACE, Pro Right, Motion, 38 Toss, on Two?. The offensive line claps their hands in unison and quicky approach the line of scrimmage. Pearce looks over the defense, determines the play call in the huddle will work against the defensive set, and there is no need to audible. It’s second and five on the opposition 48 yard line.
Wow! I got really excited to see your scenario in my head!

Football is a tactical game; it involves military concepts such as deployment (formations) and maneuvers (motion and plays) in an effort to gain territory. It also focuses on tactical responses. Offenses look at the deployment of the defensive personnel and try to take advantage of match-ups that are favorable and avoid those that are not.
I love your allegory Blitz as it is right on the numbers teammate.
Football is like war especially in the frontline trenches where the campaigns are really won and lost.

Everything is synchronized, like a choreographed dance, the only difference being that this choreography is being executed by powerful, gifted athletes who will look to execute by exploding into the defensive player they have been assigned to block.
The dance is one of beauty and that of poetry when executed with the precision designed. Like a great bird unfolding its wings to take to the air.

?ACE? described the formation, a single back set, ?right? set the alignment, with the fifth receiver lined up on the inside receiver spot to the wide side of the field. ?3? enabled everyone to know that Smith would be taking the toss from Pierce and ?8? enabled all that he would heading for the eight hole, to the outside of the offensive line. To further clarify the type of play Pierce has called ?Toss? to describe the play, which is a sweep play to the right using a reverse pivot toss rather than a handoff. Paris Jackson realizes that he will have to come down inside and seal off the linebacker in order to make the play work. He knows he will have to sacrifice his body against a stronger, tougher linebacker with extreme violence in his mindset. Jackson makes the block, Smith breaks to the outside for a seven yard gain and our Leos have another first down.
You’re giving me gooseflesh buddy!

The way you're telling it I feel like the play is developing right in front of my eyes.
Who said football jocks were knuckle-dragging Neanderthals. Sounds like it takes it a superior focused and selective mind to sort out code sequences of the like your giving incite into.

Dickenson walks up behind his centre, then steps back three steps into the shotgun. Everyone on the offence is clued into the fact that Dickenson is going to attempt to draw the defense offside with his voice. It often works but this time the defense is disciplined and the ball is snapped on three.

The receivers are lined up in a formation with three receivers ?Trips Left? to the left wide side of the field. The Y receiver, Simon, lines up on the right and then goes in motion left and breaks his motion just outside the left offensive tackle. Simmons, lined up as the middle receiver in the ?Trips Left? formation runs a ?7? deep post pattern, keeping the safety in the middle of the field. Clermont, lined up as the inside third receiver runs a ?2? sideline pattern while Jackson, lined up wide outside comes underneath, running a ?1? slant pattern and then dragging it across the field. On the right side of the field Boden has taken his ?6? corner pattern deep, taking the corner and halfback with him. Geroy, turns up field, breaks his pattern towards the sideline, and then explodes up field, turning the apparent sideline pattern into an ?out and up?
More choreography blitz?

You're quite light on your feet for a big guy!

He makes his decision and throws the ball deep downfield, leading Simon slightly towards the corner away from the safety. Simon slightly adjusts his pattern, makes the catch off his fingertips, and glides into the end zone.
Only a safety of your experience would know how it feels to be burnt by this kind of deception, but Geroy has made a career of these sort of moves.

THE MAGIC OF FOOTBALL

I return from taking the dog from her walk. She’s ready to rest but I have football on my mind. I quickly throw on a pair of sweats and an old pair of runners and join the kids playing football on their front lawn across the road.
The shotgun snap arrives and I hit Trent with a purrfect six yard fly pattern. He juggles the undersized rubber football, secures it, and he takes it all the way to the end of the lawn for a touchdown. The sparkle in his eyes says it all!! Whether it’s being played at the pro level or playing a game of pickup with the neighborhood kids on a cold late March winter day?there?s something magical about football!!
Whether it's professional, or sandlot football, you really are at the
source of the magic of both B.

Your love for our game is second to none!

It's up and it's good!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis