Muhammad Ali, the Greatest, passes away at 74

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Very sad news. Muhammad Ali has passed away.

He was an inspiration to much of the world. All the races. All the countries. He was, at times, the most famous person in the world, and he was humanity's great representative.

He went way beyond sports.

One of the nicest things I recall was a birthday letter I read about, from George Foreman to Ali. So much love and respect. :thup:

Another memory. Ali came to Vancouver to fight George Chuvalo. The headline the next day was: "Ali throws. George catches." But Ali could not knock iron-jawed Chuvalo down.

God bless. Rest in peace.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sad news. He was not afraid to pay the price for his beliefs. He will be missed

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
Matt Baker
Rookie

I caught up with a few Leos in Kamloops to get some reaction:

http://www.bclions.com/2016/06/04/quota ... -greatest/
Robbie
Hall of Famer

While I can agree with Ali refusing to be inducted into the armed forces during the Vietnam War, I think his publicly stated reason is rather selfish and shallow when he stated:
"I Ain't Got No Quarrel With The VietCong... No VietCong Ever Called Me ****** (edited by Mod staff).
That's sort of like saying I have absolutely no ill will towards Hussein, Bin Laden, any serial killer or mass murderer, etc. simply because they never called me a ***** (edited by Mod staff). Whether they called me that or not, it doesn't really matter because their overall behaviour should easily override any statements they made towards me.

Other reasons related to the opposition to the Vietnam War including those by the hippies would sound more reasonable than Ali's.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I see it differently, Robbie. We might see the Vietnam war in a similar way, but we seem to see Ali differently.

There were many reasons for anybody to want no part of the war in Vietnam. Ali"s statement only mentions two personal ones. What he said, and his stance, had great meaning for countless others, for a variety of reasons. His statement, in personal terms, resonated. It seems to me that pretty much all the American soldiers in Vietnam had no quarrel with the Viet Cong.

Back in the day, I recall that Ali had his critics and haters. They used that hateful word. But he stood for his beliefs, regardless. And, as noted, he gave hope, and so much more, to so many people. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:While I can agree with Ali refusing to be inducted into the armed forces during the Vietnam War, I think his publicly stated reason is rather selfish and shallow when he stated:
"I Ain't Got No Quarrel With The VietCong... No VietCong Ever Called Me ****** (edited by Mod staff).
That's sort of like saying I have absolutely no ill will towards Hussein, Bin Laden, any serial killer or mass murderer, etc. simply because they never called me a ***** (edited by Mod staff). Whether they called me that or not, it doesn't really matter because their overall behaviour should easily override any statements they made towards me.

Other reasons related to the opposition to the Vietnam War including those by the hippies would sound more reasonable than Ali's.
you cant compare the al queda or bin laden or Hussein to north viet nam. USA never went to war just to stop mass murders or serial killer in other countries. No matter how they spin it, Viet cong was no threat to USA.

Second, Ali objected to war. His comment about them not doing him any wrong was beside the fact. Ad libbing because that is what he did.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back