Official NFL Thread: 2016-2017 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Here's a look at the predicted 2016 win totals for each NFL team from the same
source as the weekly odds (www.footballlocks.com/)

Team 2016 Season Win Total Lines

Arizona Cardinals 9.5
Atlanta Falcons 7.5
Baltimore Ravens 8.5
Buffalo Bills 8
Carolina Panthers 10.5
Chicago Bears 7.5
Cincinnati Bengals 9.5
Cleveland Browns 4.5
Dallas Cowboys 8
Denver Broncos 9.5
Detroit Lions 7
Green Bay Packers 11
Houston Texans 8.5
Indianapolis Colts 9
Jacksonville Jaguars 7.5
Kansas City Chiefs 9.5
Los Angeles Rams 7.5
Miami Dolphins 7
Minnesota Vikings 8.5
New England Patriots 10.5
New Orleans Saints 7.5
New York Giants 8
New York Jets 7.5
Oakland Raiders 8.5
Philadelphia Eagles 6.5
Pittsburgh Steelers 10.5
San Diego Chargers 7.5
San Francisco 49ers 5.5
Seattle Seahawks 10.5
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7.5
Tennessee Titans 5.5
Washington Redskins 7.5

Notice that only the Packers are predicted to rack up 11 wins, with 4 predicted to win 10.5 (Panthers, Patriots, Steelers, and Seahawks).
South Pender
Legend

Odds for each NFL team to win Super Bowl 51

2017 Super Bowl Odds Futures to Win Super Bowl LI
NFL Futures Odds For Winning Super Bowl 51 (LI)
NRG Stadium, Houston, TX, 2/5/2017

Teams Sorted Alphabetically 2017 Super Bowl LI Futures Odds
Super Bowl Money Odds (Payout Per $100 Bet.)
Arizona Cardinals +$1,200 (12 to 1)
Atlanta Falcons +$7,500 (75 to 1)
Baltimore Ravens +$4,000 (40 to 1)
Buffalo Bills +$7,500 (75 to 1)
Carolina Panthers +$1,000 (10 to 1)
Chicago Bears +$8,000 (80 to 1)
Cincinnati Bengals +$2,000 (20 to 1)
Cleveland Browns +$20,000 (200 to 1)
Dallas Cowboys +$3,000 (30 to 1)
Denver Broncos +$1,700 (17 to 1)
Detroit Lions +$10,000 (100 to 1)
Green Bay Packers +$800 (8 to 1)
Houston Texans +$4,000 (40 to 1)
Indianapolis Colts +$3,500 (35 to 1)
Jacksonville Jaguars +$6,500 (65 to 1)
Kansas City Chiefs +$2,000 (20 to 1)
Los Angeles Rams +$8,000 (80 to 1)
Miami Dolphins +$7,500 (75 to 1)
Minnesota Vikings +$2,000 (20 to 1)
New England Patriots +$700 (7 to 1)
New Orleans Saints +$6,500 (65 to 1)
New York Giants +$2,500 (25 to 1)
New York Jets +$6,500 (65 to 1)
Oakland Raiders +$3,000 (30 to 1)
Philadelphia Eagles +$10,000 (100 to 1)
Pittsburgh Steelers +$1,000 (10 to 1)
San Diego Chargers +$7,500 (75 to 1)
San Francisco 49ers +$15,000 (150 to 1)
Seattle Seahawks +$800 (8 to 1)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers +$7,500 (75 to 1)
Tennessee Titans +$10,000 (100 to 1)
Washington Redskins +$5,500 (55 to 1)

Note that the Patriots have the best odds (7 to 1), followed by the Packers and Seahawks (at 8 to 1).

Of course, all of this has to be taken with a large grain of salt!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I guess some of you are watching Seattle Seahawks vs. Cameron Wake and the Miami Dolphins. Cameron Wake has just been charged with a major roughing the passer penalty on a 3rd down play and has allowed the Seahawks to extend their drive.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
South Pender
Legend

Just finished watching the Seahawks-Dolphins game (12-10 Seahawks). Although the Seahawks out-gained the Dolphins 352 to 222 total net yards, I think the 'Hawks were lucky to win that game. Here's the box score for anyone interested:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201609110 ... e=boxscore

This was not a typical Seahawks game. I counted at least two missed tackles by Earl Thomas, a guy widely regarded as the best safety in the NFL. I guess you could say that holding your opponent to 10 points and 222 yards of offense is pretty good, but they weren't playing one of the better offenses in the NFL. I think that the 'Hawks' offense has to be the greater concern though. Russell Wilson's ankle injury was obviously a factor--taking away his ability to pick up yards with his legs. We have to hope it isn't a serious injury (no word on that yet). Doug Baldwin was great as usual, and Jermaine Kearse had a good game, but I thought that Tyler Lockett played below expectations. Getting Thomas Rawls into the lineup was big, and I think that even Jimmy Graham may have been in for a snap. So getting these guys back is very important. The running back tandem of Christine Michael and Thomas Rawls combined for 98 yards rushing, with Michael getting most of that. I was expecting real problems for the Seahawks' O-line, going, as they were, against Cam Wake,Ndamukong Suh, and Mario Williams (one of the truly dominant D-lines in the NFL), but the patched-up Seahawks O-line (with J'Marcus Webb plugged in at RG at the last minute for their 1st-round draft pick Germain Ifedi) seemed to hold up decently, consistently opening up holes for the RBs

Lots for Pete Carroll to think about in the week ahead. We'd better hope that Russell Wilson is good to go next week since the 'Hawks don't have a very credible backup QB.

It was a nail-biter. I much prefer blowouts! :wink:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Just finished watching the Seahawks-Dolphins game (12-10 Seahawks).
It was a nail-biter. I much prefer blowouts! :wink:
I'd say that in the last minute the Seahawks were in the EXACT same situation as they were in the ill-fated Super Bowl XLIX. On 2nd and goal from the 2 yard line, everyone was hoping a conservative rushing play was most ideal but they chose to pass and was intercepted. This time, Russell Wilson passed yet again but albeit a corner pass with only one defender and was less likely to be picked off.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
South Pender
Legend

Seahawks vs. Rams tomorrow, 1:05 p.m.

A number of story lines here.

- First regular season home game for the Los Angeles Rams. Expect a big and loud crowd.

- After a truly abysmal Monday night opener against the deplorable 49ers (28-0 Niners), expect to see a much better Rams squad on Sunday.

- Russell Wilson's sprained ankle: How bad is it? Reports have varied, but the most prevalent view is that Wilson has made a miraculous recovery. Don't bet on it. And if Wilson can't go--or if he is limited in his capabilities--the 'Hawks are in trouble, with an untested, undrafted rookie, Trevone Boykin (who looked mediocre in the preseason), as the backup.

- Although the Rams have been consistently bad over the last 3-4 years, and the Seahawks have been good over that span, the Rams seem to have the 'Hawks' number, winning 3 of the last 4 games.

- On offense, we have a sub-par Seahawks O-line going against a really good Rams D-line. The Rams have Aaron Donald (widely regarded as the best defensive lineman in the NFL not named J. J. Watt), Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, and William Hayes, a group many consider the best D-line in the NFL. Facing them will be a weak Seahawks O-line, with a question mark at RG in J'Marcus Webb, who is hobbling, and their 1st-round draft pick, Germain Ifedi out with an ankle injury. Expect to see the Rams front four manhandling the Seahawks up front and a long day for Russell Wilson.

- On the other hand, we have a really awful Rams offense (at least they were on Monday night) going against a good Seahawks defense, so expect to see Rams QB Case Keenum take a beating (unless the Rams play No. 1 draft pick, Jared Goff, which is unlikely) . Also expect to see a better showing from Hawks free safety Earl Thomas, after a really poor game against the Dolphins.

- Thomas Rawls and Jimmy Graham appear to be all the way back for this game, so the 'Hawks' offense does have that going for them. The real question mark is whether the O-line can open holes for Rawls and Christine Michael against the powerful Rams D-line, or can give Wilson any time to hit his receivers.

- The betting line started at 3.5 points in favor of the Seahawks, but has changed, oddly enough, to 6.5 at this point.

- My prediction is that this will be low-scoring, close game, and a Rams win would not surprise me at all. I'm wondering whether Pete Carroll will be doing the right thing in risking further injury to Russell Wilson by playing him, but the alternative is pretty bleak. The Seahawks will need to establish the run and short passing game to win this one with ball control.

Should be another nail-biter!
South Pender
Legend

A poor showing by the Seahawks yesterday, but not unexpected. The Rams D really owned the 'Hawks. It's hard to know how much Russell Wilson's sprained ankle slowed him down, but he wasn't 100%. Injuries are biting the Seahawks: Wilson, Ifedi, Prosise, and now--from yesterday's game, Baldwin, Lockett, and Rawls. I found myself wondering whether Marshawn Lynch could perhaps be persuaded out of retirement! But, at the bottom of the Seahawks' offensive ineptitude is the O-line.

I believe that the Seahawks have the lowest-paid O-line in the NFL. This isn't due to oversight on the part of the team, but was planned in order to secure the core of their team when contracts came up for renewal. Counting on Wilson being able to scramble out of trouble due to poor blocking up front--evidently the team's reasoning--doesn't work well when he's hobbled with an ankle sprain.

Seahawks fans have to remember that they were 2-4 after 6 games in 2015 and still made the playoffs. At 1-1 now, they have plenty of time to right the ship, but I'm betting that there will be renewed intensity in the planning and practicing this week. They have the 49ers at home next Sunday, and they should win that one, but we'll see, I guess!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Wow, very narrow win by the Seahawks after allowing the Atlanta Hawks to lead 24-17 after they trailed 17-3 and after missing an important field goal and then a convert. At least the Seahawks managed to force a late turnover and Steven Hauschka didn't miss the last FG and then defence managed to force a 4 and out with some help from the officials on 4th down.
祝你龍年行大運。
South Pender
Legend

Don't know how many of you watched Seahawks-Cardinals last night, but that has to be one of the most unusual games I've ever seen--a 6-6 tie in the desert. The Seahawks have to be relieved that it wasn't worse given their awful offensive performance. That game defines "defensive struggle." I thought the Seahawks D was just phenomenal, being on the field for something like 90 plays against one of the best offenses in the NFL. Time of possession was 46-28 (including OT) in favor of the Cardinals. LT Bradley Sowell is lost for a couple of weeks with a knee sprain. I'm hoping the 'Hawks use this opportunity to trade for a legitimate LT; both Joe Thomas (Browns) and Joe Staley (49ers) might be available in trade (although the cost will be high).
Ballistic Bob
Legend

South Pender wrote:Don't know how many of you watched Seahawks-Cardinals last night, but that has to be one of the most unusual games I've ever seen--a 6-6 tie in the desert. The Seahawks have to be relieved that it wasn't worse given their awful offensive performance. That game defines "defensive struggle." I thought the Seahawks D was just phenomenal, being on the field for something like 90 plays against one of the best offenses in the NFL. Time of possession was 46-28 (including OT) in favor of the Cardinals. LT Bradley Sowell is lost for a couple of weeks with a knee sprain. I'm hoping the 'Hawks use this opportunity to trade for a legitimate LT; both Joe Thomas (Browns) and Joe Staley (49ers) might be available in trade (although the cost will be high).
I couldnt figure out why the Cards coach was mad about the blocked field goal, It wasnt a pyramid or roughing the kicker Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
South Pender wrote:Don't know how many of you watched Seahawks-Cardinals last night, but that has to be one of the most unusual games I've ever seen--a 6-6 tie in the desert. The Seahawks have to be relieved that it wasn't worse given their awful offensive performance. That game defines "defensive struggle." I thought the Seahawks D was just phenomenal, being on the field for something like 90 plays against one of the best offenses in the NFL. Time of possession was 46-28 (including OT) in favor of the Cardinals. LT Bradley Sowell is lost for a couple of weeks with a knee sprain. I'm hoping the 'Hawks use this opportunity to trade for a legitimate LT; both Joe Thomas (Browns) and Joe Staley (49ers) might be available in trade (although the cost will be high).
I couldnt figure out why the Cards coach was mad about the blocked field goal, It wasnt a pyramid or roughing the kicker Thnx BB
It's because he wasted a timeout when he was requested a challenge on a play that couldn't be challenged. There was definitely some contact on the Cardinals long snapper in the blocked field goal, but the word "incidental" is extremely subjective.

I think overall the Seahawks, while feeling somewhat relieved given their poor offensive performance, they feel more angrier over the fact that they certainly had a chance to win in the end but had to settle for a tie. Stephen Hauschka made important 36 and 40-yard field goals, yet couldn't connect on a routine 28-yard field-goal attempt that was definitely an unforced error as it wasn't as if though the Cardinals blocked the attempt.
祝你龍年行大運。
South Pender
Legend

Ballistic Bob wrote:
I didn't notice Bruce Arians being angry about that--but then again Arians is often angry! (He is, though, a good coach.) I wonder whether it's because Bobby Wagner's foot just lightly touched the back of the center on that play. I think the wording is that no contact can take place or there's a penalty assessed. However, the contact was so slight as to have absolutely no effect on the center and his blocking.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Any one hear Groncowskis press conference about his 68 TDs over his career. He just couldnt help himself to say he really had 69 tds. Nudge nudge Wink wink. A real awkward moment. I think he even blushed. BB
South Pender
Legend

I see a tough challenge for the Seahawks tomorrow in the Big Easy. The injury bug has hit, and several key players will be out of action: Kam Chancellor and Michael Bennett on defense, and Brad Sowell at LT. Also, Russell Wilson picked up his third injury in the Cardinals game--a strained right pec, which, I think, happened when his arm was pulled back when he was stripped of the ball when trying to pass. His leg injuries aren't fully healed yet either. Wilson will go tomorrow, but may not be close to his usual form. Their run game has been pretty ineffective so far, and I think they will need that working properly to win tomorrow. They simply haven't replaced Marshawn Lynch, and Christine Michael has had a tough time running behind a marginal O line. I think they'll be very lucky to leave NO with a win.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

The score flattered the Hawks. Anyone see the Kia ad with Boz and Bo. So subtle. You have to know the 80s to get it. Thnx BB